Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Can you make money being a landlord these days?

Comments

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,252
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    We've had some sketchy renters over the years in Seattle, but over all it has been good. Since getting out (covered in other threads), moving, and getting back in, it has been very good. Right now, after mortgages, we clear about $2500 a month, which goes back into mortgages. When we retire (5-6 years, praying doog GIF), we will be free and clear mortgage-wise, upping the take to about 5k per month, for 2 rentals at current rates. The key, which we found by accident, is we only rent to military / professional people, who will pay rent on time, and not tear the shit out of everything. We couldn't do that in Seattle. We are currently shopping for a couple more...
  • Options
    Number1AtNumber2Number1AtNumber2 Member Posts: 31
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fishpo You and I sound like we were running similar angles on a few things. I have also rolled all profits back into the rentals. First to fix and next to pay down debt. I pulled myself out of Seattle to live in Kitsap about two and a half years ago. I think I remember you saying you were on this side of the water. As long as you aren't fish police we are cool.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

When I was at the abyss I tried the novel approach of being honest with our landlord and we worked it out where for a few months I paid it in two or three installments and when were back I paid all the late fees

They really don't want to evict you. Just be a man about it

And Out the door I went?
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,522
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

greenblood - This would have to go on for years for the one bad group to take all my chips off the table.

and bleached anus is right about people making money that bought a long time ago on equity appreciation but mobile home parks and self storage seem like you are setting yourself up to be dealing with the same poor smucks like the guy in the article.

Self storage seems pretty straight forward and while you’re dealing with shit bags like the guy in the article, there isn’t an eviction moratorium for storage units, rent is fairly low so you’re not dying over even a couple deadbeats, and when they finally lose the unit, auction the shit off to the freaks you see on those auction reality shows.
    Self-storage you can boot people easy. The thing about mobile home parks and self storage is that you have very limited maintenance expenses, almost no worry about wear and tear and damages - most parks you are just renting the dirt.
  • Options
    I like these ideas. I got a good look into a guys finances that did very well with self storage so you make a good point about there being money there. And that is a good point about eviction for non payment.

Rural self storage could also be a play that is similar to Diamonds move with the parking lots. If you put them in small towns that end up blowing up you can make money on the land being worth more.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

greenblood - This would have to go on for years for the one bad group to take all my chips off the table.

and bleached anus is right about people making money that bought a long time ago on equity appreciation but mobile home parks and self storage seem like you are setting yourself up to be dealing with the same poor smucks like the guy in the article.

Self storage seems pretty straight forward and while you’re dealing with shit bags like the guy in the article, there isn’t an eviction moratorium for storage units, rent is fairly low so you’re not dying over even a couple deadbeats, and when they finally lose the unit, auction the shit off to the freaks you see on those auction reality shows.
    Self-storage you can boot people easy. The thing about mobile home parks and self storage is that you have very limited maintenance expenses, almost no worry about wear and tear and damages - most parks you are just renting the dirt.
    Did you listen to the BP episode with the guy whose been killing it with self storage?

That made me very curious about that kind of property.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Did you listen to the BP episode with the guy whose been killing it with self storage?

No, haven't heard that, but I know several landlords who are selling their properties in King County and shifting their business model to self-storage.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,900
    Founders Club

No, haven't heard that, but I know several landlords who are selling their properties in King County and shifting their business model to self-storage.
    If you’re thinking self storage, it’s a good pod to listen to. The guy said something like 80% of all multi family buildings are owned by major corporations but 80% of self storage are still mom & pops type businesses.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,945
    Swaye's Wigwam

I like these ideas. I got a good look into a guys finances that did very well with self storage so you make a good point about there being money there. And that is a good point about eviction for non payment.

Rural self storage could also be a play that is similar to Diamonds move with the parking lots. If you put them in small towns that end up blowing up you can make money on the land being worth more.

You god damned money changers sure do get nosey about the finances these days. I feel like I had to download 30 documents the last time I changed some money.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have a few coworkers who got into the self-storage business, and now they don't work where I work anymore because their storage facilities do juuuuuust fine.

Here's another one: Shipping containers. Due to construction, I've had one sitting in front of my house for the last three years or so. You bill for delivery and pickup, collect $120 per month, do nooooooothing. They're indestructible and made of thick steel. No maintenance. No bullshit. Just drop it off, collect rent. Can be bought for about $3K each retail, probably less in numbers.
  • Options
    The only thing I hate worse than paperwork Snow? ...listening to people bitch about paperwork.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,396
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    5G cell towers on your land

No extra charge for the birth defects of your children

I kid
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The only thing I hate worse than paperwork Snow? ...listening to people bitch about paperwork.

Bitching is a time honored tradition here. You should see the abuse I take on my shitty little board.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I kid

I lived in an apartment once with a cell tower on the roof. @oregonblitzkrieg was right. My mind ain’t been right since.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I kid

I lived in an apartment once with a cell tower on the roof. @oregonblitzkrieg was right. My mind ain’t been right since.
    Sadly, your mind is going to be even less right after the cyborg 'vaccine' takes its toll.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Know a couple of guys who got into the self-storage game and echo same sentiments as others. In "bad" times they run 85% full, in good times sold out with a waiting list.

Maintenance on them is minimal.

Have a customer who's brother in law got into the shipping container game, and has made generational money on it. He has said the space has become more crowded with companies doing the same thing and the containers are going for crazy prices that are in bad shape physically. When he started 10 years ago it was just the opposite. Cheap containers in almost new condition.

• Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    It appears you most certainly did make money as a landlord. Correct me if I’m wrong:

With the numbers you provided it appears you’re almost $100k into the mortgage, a ROI of 5.75% - that’s assuming you made no profit from rent, just breaking even. A $100/month profit takes that to 6% ROI.

That’s not including the appreciation, which I’m sure is significant. In the Seattle area for that time span it’s a ~90% increase for the median home. Even half of that isn’t too bad, where else are you getting that kind of investment with 25% down?
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,800
    Founders Club
    edited May 2021

If you’re thinking self storage, it’s a good pod to listen to. The guy said something like 80% of all multi family buildings are owned by major corporations but 80% of self storage are still mom & pops type businesses.
    THIS. My all-tim favorite BP pod

https://youtu.be/FcDvRO1kqWg

• Options
    Founders Club

It appears you most certainly did make money as a landlord. Correct me if I’m wrong:

With the numbers you provided it appears you’re almost $100k into the mortgage, a ROI of 5.75% - that’s assuming you made no profit from rent, just breaking even. A $100/month profit takes that to 6% ROI.

That’s not including the appreciation, which I’m sure is significant. In the Seattle area for that time span it’s a ~90% increase for the median home. Even half of that isn’t too bad, where else are you getting that kind of investment with 25% down?

$100/mo "profit" doesn't even cover maintenance. Also, property taxes continue to increase, etc. The biggest factor is how long ago did you buy the property. Otherwise, a lot of landlords are making money on appreciation when selling (btw we now have a capital gains tax which probably gets expanded in the future).