Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Can you make money being a landlord these days?

Number1AtNumber2Number1AtNumber2 Member Posts: 31
First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/a-landlord-a-tenant-and-the-battle-for-1042-cutler-st-in-upstate-new-york/

So Hill had taught himself the rules, researching on the internet about tenant rights, rent strikes in New York and the eviction moratorium. He read that almost 1 million other renters in New York state were behind on payments and that 80% of those renters had also reported having lost income during the pandemic. Hill watched online as Cuomo said: “The number one issue that people talk to me about probably is rent and fear about being able to pay their rent. And this just takes that issue off the table.” He listened during the presidential campaign as Joe Biden said: “There should be rent forgiveness … Not paid later — forgiveness.”

And so when Hill finally received some small unemployment payments and a four-figure stimulus check from the government, he used the money to fix the engine in his broken-down minivan, buy a little extra food, purchase some basic furniture, pay down his credit card, and surprise his daughter with a decent laptop for her virtual classes, because why would he spend what little money he had on rent that he didn’t actually have to pay?

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I would feel too vulnerable as a landlord
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,518
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    In red states where rules are enforced and insane laws are not being enacted, like "Just Cause termination" and rent control, yes, you can make money.

Most landlords in Seattle-area are making money because of the equity they have in their property when they go to sell thanks to market appreciation. The only people making any half-ass money on the monthly rent are those who bought 10 years ago, those who own the property outright, and those who are generational in the business and inherited property.
  • Options
    This article sums up how difficult the landlord hustle has become. I have been renting out residential real estate in Seattle for more than 20 years.

It is easy to look back and see that it has been a solid investment strategy, but what is more difficult to figure out is where do you go from here? This last year has been bumpy for sure. I managed to sidestep one bum at the beginning of the plandemic to get him out of his lease early in May of last year voluntarily before he was far enough behind to eclipse his last month and security deposit. I replaced him with group that have been great so far and also managed to raise the rent a little. So all good on that front. That is what I would call some standard level landlord bullshit.

I think one reason why people say that they would never want to be a landlord is that they look at it the wrong way. It isn't like buying berkshire hathaway and sitting back and watching it grow. You need to think of it as a side job. Like any job it requires work.

Speaking of which:
    The backstory:
    The place that is giving me trouble today had been a great investment. I bough in 2013 for $675,000. This was listed and on the open market for probably 60 days or so. I am in the money changing business and the house appealed to me at the time because as a SFR I could get a 30 year fixed right up to what was at the time the FNMA max of $506,000. I negotiated for the seller to pay all my closing costs and hooked up the loan at 3.625% which at the time seemed like as low as it would ever go. My plan was simple rent that baby out until I pay it off and the husky from Huston is right about inflation so that I can quit my job at Money Tree and live off the rent.

Present day problems:
    I think you can guess where I am going with this. Tenants started dragging ass on rent about 5 months ago and it has been a pretty quick downhill slide from there. A developer is willing to cash me out 12 months from now for good money but the contract gives him a 30 day feasibility before he has any skin in the game. The tenants have agreed that they will move out and I told them I would forgive the rent owed if the house is not trashed. The term comes up June 1 so stay tuned for more updates.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,938
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

This article sums up how difficult the landlord hustle has become. I have been renting out residential real estate in Seattle for more than 20 years.

It is easy to look back and see that it has been a solid investment strategy, but what is more difficult to figure out is where do you go from here? This last year has been bumpy for sure. I managed to sidestep one bum at the beginning of the plandemic to get him out of his lease early in May of last year voluntarily before he was far enough behind to eclipse his last month and security deposit. I replaced him with group that have been great so far and also managed to raise the rent a little. So all good on that front. That is what I would call some standard level landlord bullshit.

I think one reason why people say that they would never want to be a landlord is that they look at it the wrong way. It isn't like buying berkshire hathaway and sitting back and watching it grow. You need to think of it as a side job. Like any job it requires work.

Speaking of which:
    The backstory:
    The place that is giving me trouble today had been a great investment. I bough in 2013 for $675,000. This was listed and on the open market for probably 60 days or so. I am in the money changing business and the house appealed to me at the time because as a SFR I could get a 30 year fixed right up to what was at the time the FNMA max of $506,000. I negotiated for the seller to pay all my closing costs and hooked up the loan at 3.625% which at the time seemed like as low as it would ever go. My plan was simple rent that baby out until I pay it off and the husky from Huston is right about inflation so that I can quit my job at Money Tree and live off the rent.

Present day problems:
    I think you can guess where I am going with this. Tenants started dragging ass on rent about 5 months ago and it has been a pretty quick downhill slide from there. A developer is willing to cash me out 12 months from now for good money but the contract gives him a 30 day feasibility before he has any skin in the game. The tenants have agreed that they will move out and I told them I would forgive the rent owed if the house is not trashed. The term comes up June 1 so stay tuned for more updates.

@Number1AtNumber2 was the income of the tenants significantly affected by Covid, or did they just start dragging ass because government edicts allowed them to do so?

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2021
    Yes you can, buy it only takes one bad tenant to take it all away. Commercial real estate is much more expensive, but you aren’t grabbed by the balls with regulations like in residential real estate.
  • Options
    They all say it is because of covid... but you know those fuckers got unemployment and Biden bucks just like everyone else. The first guy was a tenant for almost 5 years and was probably late on rent 30% of the time. It was minimum $100 extra for his late fee but it would still bug me. It only took him about a week into covid to tell me he didn't have rent which first off: if your rent is $4800 how do you have zero of that in the first week of the month? Second off, who thinks it is a sound strategy to pay that much for rent for 5 years in a row?

The people who are late now gave me all kinds of BS about it being COVID related and that they aren't getting unemployment but I believe they are just taking advantage of the situation. I mean, like the quote in the story says: "Why pay rent you don't have to pay." well shit, I dunno maybe because you agreed to pay the rent when you signed your lease?
  • Options
    greenblood - This would have to go on for years for the one bad group to take all my chips off the table.

and bleached anus is right about people making money that bought a long time ago on equity appreciation but mobile home parks and self storage seem like you are setting yourself up to be dealing with the same poor smucks like the guy in the article.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,384
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No property tax vacations I assume
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yes you can, buy it only takes one bad tenant to take it all away. Commercial real estate is much more expensive, but you aren’t grabbed by the balls with regulations like in residential real estate.

The best rental investment strategy is to own self-storage or mobile home parks.

This guy owned a large portion of downtown Seattle and didn't even need buildings. We worked with the kids and grandkids when they started changing parking lots into commercial real estate residence and office
  • Options
    You are correct Race I still pay the property tax while comrade Sawant talks about housing as a basic human right. Like they talked about in the article that a property tax protest withholding would help the local officials figure out to knock it off with the moratoriums. Personally I think: yea right. The federal government is backfilling these decisions for now.

also most people have a mortgage and pay taxes through that.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,518
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

The best rental investment strategy is to own self-storage or mobile home parks.

This guy owned a large portion of downtown Seattle and didn't even need buildings. We worked with the kids and grandkids when they started changing parking lots into commercial real estate residence and office
    Funny, I know the kids in that family fairly well. They made a mint off of slabs of concrete.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Funny, I know the kids in that family fairly well. They made a mint off of slabs of concrete.
    I've come across the parents in my RE career. Suffice to say, they aren't hurting.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
    Founders Club

Herb Mead had some interesting stories in regards to his business dealings with Joe Diamond.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2021

They all say it is because of covid... but you know those fuckers got unemployment and Biden bucks just like everyone else. The first guy was a tenant for almost 5 years and was probably late on rent 30% of the time. It was minimum $100 extra for his late fee but it would still bug me. It only took him about a week into covid to tell me he didn't have rent which first off: if your rent is $4800 how do you have zero of that in the first week of the month? Second off, who thinks it is a sound strategy to pay that much for rent for 5 years in a row?

The people who are late now gave me all kinds of BS about it being COVID related and that they aren't getting unemployment but I believe they are just taking advantage of the situation. I mean, like the quote in the story says: "Why pay rent you don't have to pay." well shit, I dunno maybe because you agreed to pay the rent when you signed your lease?

Not paying rent when you have the funds to do so is theft and it's immoral as I once opined to @RaceBannon . I mean what's the fucking point of giving folks the generous UI checks only to have them not pay rent. I guess Big Tobacco and Big Booze are happy to take the money, but the landlord class if getting it up the ass.

We? need to bring back debtor's prisons for the extra special deadbeats. Could help solve the homelessness crisis too.
  • Options
    The thing that is really bullshit about the eviction moratorium is that nobody is getting rich evicting people. I never want to participate in an eviction... but I want to be able to threaten eviction if people stop being reasonable. Every landlord I have talked to says the same thing.

If the unemployment was flowing (and I am not talking about all the money siphoned off to Nigeria) and the extra $600 and all those stimulating checks than why do you need to halt evictions?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When I was at the abyss I tried the novel approach of being honest with our landlord and we worked it out where for a few months I paid it in two or three installments and when were back I paid all the late fees

They really don't want to evict you. Just be a man about it
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

When I was at the abyss I tried the novel approach of being honest with our landlord and we worked it out where for a few months I paid it in two or three installments and when were back I paid all the late fees

They really don't want to evict you. Just be a man about it

Novel concept, right?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The thing that is really bullshit about the eviction moratorium is that nobody is getting rich evicting people. I never want to participate in an eviction... but I want to be able to threaten eviction if people stop being reasonable. Every landlord I have talked to says the same thing.

If the unemployment was flowing (and I am not talking about all the money siphoned off to Nigeria) and the extra $600 and all those stimulating checks than why do you need to halt evictions?

The moratorium creates all sorts of bad incentives for renters to be unreasonable.

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited May 2021

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/a-landlord-a-tenant-and-the-battle-for-1042-cutler-st-in-upstate-new-york/

And so when Hill finally received some small unemployment payments and a four-figure stimulus check from the government, he used the money to fix the engine in his broken-down minivan, buy a little extra food, purchase some basic furniture, pay down his credit card, and surprise his daughter with a decent laptop for her virtual classes, because why would he spend what little money he had on rent that he didn’t actually have to pay?

I’m no behavioral economist, but this right here is the heart of the problem. I can certainly understand people using the stimulus/unemployment money on food, fixing up an old car, and even a laptop for a kid’s online classes (assuming they’re K-12 and had no other access to education)...but furniture and repayment on credit card debt should’ve come after rent.

As the man said, there’s no incentive to pay rent. Credit cards, while they have offered deferred payments, temporary lower interest rates, etc., can still have people sent to collections and have their credit score impacted (which could hurt your chances with renting again), right?

I don’t know what the answer to all of this is, but it seems like non-housing debt repayment is, like Cal, ranked too high.