Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jahlil Florence, 2022 3* DB, San Diego (Lincoln), CA (Offered)

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

We are a sinking ship. Everyone can see it except the people in the program.

Maybe they don’t because recruiting has no bearing on this season (or next really) and they are ready to win now?

I’m excited to win the PAC 12 while you TBSers are worried 2024 won’t be special.
    So they should ignore 50% of their job? And what if this year isn't special then what?
    I’ve been following recruiting since about 2003. Not sure how long you have been a Husky fan, but looking ahead and being gung ho about the future has always led to disappointment.

Fans always are looking ahead. Jimmy has a roster ready to compete for PAC 12 titles now. You seem to enjoy the sizzle and being optimistic about the years ahead, but the time to be optimistic is right now.
    Being both bullish on the upcoming season and concerned about the future aren't mutually exclusive.
    I get that, but it’s always been dumb. When has it ever worked out? How did that leveling up bullshit go the past few years?
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We? Could literally win the NC and follow that up with a 1st place recruiting year and people would still be pissed were not setting up properly for a Bama type run
  • Options
    HireBRoyHireBRoy Member Posts: 77
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2021
    Everything that's happening in this program right now screams mediocrity in a few years

but let's say we win the pac and the rose bowl this year, we get a top 20 recruiting class in 2023... right?
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,097
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    If we #winthepac this year we can #wintheportal, which would help us #avoidmediocrity.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Maybe they don’t because recruiting has no bearing on this season (or next really) and they are ready to win now?

I’m excited to win the PAC 12 while you TBSers are worried 2024 won’t be special.
    So they should ignore 50% of their job? And what if this year isn't special then what?
    I’ve been following recruiting since about 2003. Not sure how long you have been a Husky fan, but looking ahead and being gung ho about the future has always led to disappointment.

Fans always are looking ahead. Jimmy has a roster ready to compete for PAC 12 titles now. You seem to enjoy the sizzle and being optimistic about the years ahead, but the time to be optimistic is right now.
    Being both bullish on the upcoming season and concerned about the future aren't mutually exclusive.
    I get that, but it’s always been dumb. When has it ever worked out? How did that leveling up bullshit go the past few years?
    Worrying about the stars too much is dumb. Especially now with seasons canceled. But you want to land the guys you single out if you consider yourself good at talent evaluation and player development. Right now they don’t. And when they do Oregon or other better programs just come in and take them. That’s a bad trend. Winning is not going to solve it. It’s not like the losses got out of control. Most guys will suck or be busts but you stack talent (the guys you want to get) regardless because that’s what you do.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Worrying about the stars too much is dumb. Especially now with seasons canceled. But you want to land the guys you single out if you consider yourself good at talent evaluation and player development. Right now they don’t. And when they do Oregon or other better programs just come in and take them. That’s a bad trend. Winning is not going to solve it. It’s not like the losses got out of control. Most guys will suck or be busts but you stack talent (the guys you want to get) regardless because that’s what you do.
    We aren’t recruiting well. A lot of it is sizzle and the players are mostly replaceable, but good recruiting is closing most of your top targets.

Winning will solve a lot tho. We can’t depend on the portal but we’ll get good transfers if we win to go along with the boost in recruiting.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

We aren’t recruiting well. A lot of it is sizzle and the players are mostly replaceable, but good recruiting is closing most of your top targets.

Winning will solve a lot tho. We can’t depend on the portal but we’ll get good transfers if we win to go along with the boost in recruiting.
    But we aren’t closing our top targets … that’s the reason for concern
  • Options
    LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

But we aren’t closing our top targets … that’s the reason for concern
    100%. The Eklund stink will tell you until your ears bleed that we’re getting the coaches top choices. The average fan can see who is offered and who signs, and let’s just say that while diamonds in the rough exist, you can’t build a program on them. At some point when you whiff on the top guys, people start asking questions.

No one expects Jimbo to be fucking Saban, but he should be able to fight with Cristobal. At this point, he’s fighting against Beau Baldwin for players.
  • Options
    mrdoogmrdoog Member Posts: 203
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Good thing Jimmy trusts his own evals! There’s DBs he hasn’t even offered yet that he likes better than Florence! Who needs a kid who shuts down 2 5* WRs??
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    mrdoog said:

Good thing Jimmy trusts his own evals! There’s DBs he hasn’t even offered yet that he likes better than Florence! Who needs a kid who shuts down 2 5* WRs??
    You've got to trust the process
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,868
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fuck lil Jimmie. 10+ wins, beat whoregon, win bowl and then start picking up the pieces of back to back shit classes.

Also, close conerly or DIAFF.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,558
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Fuck lil Jimmie. 10+ wins, beat whoregon, win bowl and then start picking up the pieces of back to back shit classes.

Also, close conerly or DIAFF.

He’s not going to lose Conerly. It’s been done for months.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Somehow, though, those 247 guys who watch 1,000 hours of high school football can't evaluate for shit. I wouldn't worry about an eval coming from them.

But I also wouldn't count on fixing things through the portal. By and large, they're quitters, and quitters suck.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,966
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Isn't the reason you're bullish on this season because we did "level up" the roster through recruiting?
    I guess, but not really. I could rattle off a long list of guys that this board dooged out over that are disappointments. Some hits too, but more disappointments for sure. That’s somewhat the nature of recruiting, but we have signed so many overrated 4 star players.

Wake me up when we sign 6-8 top 100 players. I’m upset about JTT and Ebuka. We have to get those type of difference makers that are right there for us. I dont really care about any other misses. Win the PAC at least once the next two years. We don’t have much buzz and the only way to fix it is to win. If we win and churn out NFL players, things will get better. We (hopefully) have the roster right now.

If Jimmy doesn’t win, it’s all over anyways and we are starting from scratch.
    If Jimmy doesn't win, he's still going to be here for quite awhile.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,558
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Barring a Willingham-esque meltdown, Jimmy is here as long as he wants.