Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hey Audiophiles! Let’s Talk Headphones

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/sennheiser-he-1

For $60K they come and set them up at your house.

For $60k they better come with 2 hookers and a ton of blow.

And I better orgasm every time I put them on.
    Pics? Video better.
    Here to help.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,810
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/6296/6296111_rd.jpg

See the people walking down the street
    Fall in line just watching all their feet
    They don't know where they wanna go
    But they're walking in time

The Throbber’s got the Beats.

• Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2021
    @Doog_de_Jour

I was a sound man at one point in my experience and so it occurs to me to ask what is the source of what you are listening to ~ Is it your phone, laptop, Ipad, Internet radio, or a wireless connection device? is it high fidelity "acoustically perfect" stereo?

My thought now is that wireless devices have taken over the environment and as a result the compression that is applied to what we are listening to is now materially different than the "acoustical stereo" of old.

In lots of ways this is asking how many angels dance on the head of a pin really, because what you really want to do is listen to various options and decide what you like sound wise, and also consider how it feels on your ear, the liveliness and level of dynamic response that you like, and the weight of the device ~ and of course whether or not you desire the functional freedom of wireless or not.

Personally I would explore wireless ~ and I would just drive out to magnolia HIFI and see what they have that you might like.
    Good luck paratrooper.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

No one ever tried to repair them?

What's the problem with your existing?
    They need new foam cups, which I feel fine DYI’ing, but now the rubber is coming off.

Oh, shit, I thought they were actually broken. You need one of these:

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

Bose isn't the easiest factory to deal with, but I'd reach out to them and tell them what your issue is, and ask them to quote you on repairing them or replacing them. In many cases, they'll offer you a discounted cost on a replacement pair rather than repairing your existing pair. It's usually significantly less than market price.

Both Bose and Sennheiser both make excellent headphones and offer decent factory support. Bose just thinks way more of themselves than the other headset/headphone companies I've dealt with over the years.

Don’t get Beats. I know that much. They fucking suck.

So was it marketing? That's the one I've heard of and didn't Dre make a billion dollars off them

I don't do headphones. A phobia of being snuck up on

Yes, great marketing and yoots confusing ka-booming base with hi-fidelity.

The truth of the matter is you can't really get "audiophile" sound out of headphones until you get to the $1,000.00 and up portion of the market. Audeze is a good example.

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

dflea said:

Bose isn't the easiest factory to deal with, but I'd reach out to them and tell them what your issue is, and ask them to quote you on repairing them or replacing them. In many cases, they'll offer you a discounted cost on a replacement pair rather than repairing your existing pair. It's usually significantly less than market price.

Both Bose and Sennheiser both make excellent headphones and offer decent factory support. Bose just thinks way more of themselves than the other headset/headphone companies I've dealt with over the years.

So was it marketing? That's the one I've heard of and didn't Dre make a billion dollars off them

The truth of the matter is you can't really get "audiophile" sound out of headphones until you get to the $1,000.00 and up portion of the market. Audeze is a good example.

I do not find those attractive.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,248
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I am partial to the Keith Moon model cans...they come with 2 rolls of duct tape...
    https://youtu.be/PNbBDrceCy8
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,073
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

No one ever tried to repair them?

What's the problem with your existing?
    They need new foam cups, which I feel fine DYI’ing, but now the rubber is coming off.

I love it when the rubber comes off.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I got some Sony headphones. they have been great but I kind of just use them for work. I live alone in a trailer in La Grande. Most of my money goes to season tickets, and gas to and from Volunteer Park, Chris Petersen's bushes, and Aurora Ave N.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

There is a causal relationship between these two things. And the cynic in me wonders which direction the arrow points...
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Okay, let's say one of the girls at the brothel is entertaining a client and needs to really focus to get the job done because this guy looks like me. She can't be distracted by you and the other girls' desire nay NEED to blast DJ Snake's "Turn Down For What" at volume eleven. That's where these babies come in:

Greatest sound quality? Fuck if I know, I'm half deaf. But the magic is that, for a relatively affordable price per set, you can wireless connect a millionty of these headsets to the same base station, thus multiple people can share in the magic while the kids other whores sleep in the other room. Even when the kids are up and the sound is on and we're watching the rare family movie that doesn't suck, I'll pop the headphones on to help me make out the dialogue.

Last set of cans I bought were Sennheiser DJ cans, kind where one cup swivels up. Great cans until the beard's cat bit threw a wire.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

@Doog_de_Jour

I was a sound man at one point in my experience and so it occurs to me to ask what is the source of what you are listening to ~ Is it your phone, laptop, Ipad, Internet radio, or a wireless connection device? is it high fidelity "acoustically perfect" stereo?

My thought now is that wireless devices have taken over the environment and as a result the compression that is applied to what we are listening to is now materially different than the "acoustical stereo" of old.

In lots of ways this is asking how many angels dance on the head of a pin really, because what you really want to do is listen to various options and decide what you like sound wise, and also consider how it feels on your ear, the liveliness and level of dynamic response that you like, and the weight of the device ~ and of course whether or not you desire the functional freedom of wireless or not.

Personally I would explore wireless ~ and I would just drive out to magnolia HIFI and see what they have that you might like.
    Good luck paratrooper.

Yeah, it’s my laptop, iPad, or iPhone. All Bluetooth connection. Mostly listening to conference calls, audiobooks, podcasts.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I got some Sony headphones. they have been great but I kind of just use them for work. I live alone in a trailer in La Grande. Most of my money goes to season tickets, and gas to and from Volunteer Park, Chris Petersen's bushes, and Aurora Ave N.

How come you never let me know when you’re in the neighborhood?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

There is a causal relationship between these two things. And the cynic in me wonders which direction the arrow points...
    Hi-fidelity is diminishing returns. You get your biggest gains, for example, going from like a Bose or Sonos set up to a decent $2000 to $3000 integrated amp with $2000 to $3000 good entry level hi-fi speakers.

My gear isn't super hi-end by audiophile standards, but will blow the doors off what most people have had the opportunity to hear in their life times. The component stereo is such a niche thing these days.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

Hi-fidelity is diminishing returns. You get your biggest gains, for example, going from like a Bose or Sonos set up to a decent $2000 to $3000 integrated amp with $2000 to $3000 good entry level hi-fi speakers.

My gear isn't super hi-end by audiophile standards, but will blow the doors off what most people have had the opportunity to hear in their life times. The component stereo is such a niche thing these days.
    There was a time before I damaged my ears with loud car stereos and power tools and motorcycle engines during which I cared about things like the quality/loudness of said loud car stereo systems. I spent quite a bit of money once (fast strategy...) on a setup that blew my mind (and, apparently, ears...). When that car's engine got stolen and the rest of the car scrapped, I moved this system into the car that replaced it. Same components, sounded like hot garbage. Turns out that this particular car the system was first put into just happened to have a perfect shape/stiffness/amount of sound deadening to really make those components shine. I don't doubt "audiophile" gear has improvements over the mass produced stuff, but I wonder how much of a difference it makes compared to, say, room design and insulation. And, as you say, I wonder how much of the rest is diminishing returns.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

How come you never let me know when you’re in the neighborhood?
    @Swaye threatened to scalp me if I come within 100 feet of you.

Also he's a prude.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,747
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    For the money you cannot beat Audio-Technica ATH M50s. They are to headphones what the F250 is to pickup trucks.

Every professional sound engineer I know has a pair they never leave home without.