Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The move lower that we will see is not a correction

TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,686 Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
It will be a revaluation lower that reflects the actual value of normalized "new world" earnings revenue and growth rates from a historical perspective,
on the way down this may turn into a -20-35% changepoint, but as this settles out I'm guessing -20%.

Its not a penalty, it doesn't mean that anything is "wrong", especially as it relates to "old world" technology, it simply means that normalized fair market
value is lower than the current prices.

Just as bond prices will move lower as a consequence of normalized interest rates, equity prices will move lower as a result of normalized
economic realities. JMO, but in the real life business world, I bet this turns out to be true.

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Perhaps, but, if real dollar price is falling, what bearing does nominal price have?
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,686 Founders Club
    edited April 2021

Interesting point... consider this... i read the other day that almost 40% of US securities are foreign owned... I think the data was describing the US equity market and its easy to understand why that matters... if the dollar drops dramatically vs other currencies AND you see a wholesale drop in the value of US equities, the net loss to foreign investors is further leveraged by the drop in currency exchange, an exodus away from the dollar AND US equities which is disproportionate to other markets can further ensue. [breathlessly stating the obvious I know...]

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Can’t explain it but an elephant got it all figured out. Got it.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,686 Founders Club
    I get that you are saying that if the cost of debt is geometrically lower then the affordability index is all that matters and I think that is a good point ~ and why the potential rise in interest rates is the key metric and maybe that is so. I'm not trying to paint a picture of doom, [i don't feel that way], just bringing up the potential issues
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,987
    edited April 2021
    @DawgsCanDance , as I read your prediction, a reval of US equities to rationally reflect corp. earnings means you think markets will start reflecting reality and the era of market and economy decoupling is/will be behind us.

Probably in everybody's best long-term interest for that to happen.

What do you think will be the catalyst? A critical mass of investors sidelining like @Baseman described in his post? Something else?

How do you think the expected economic euphoria post COVID (I assume we all agree this will end eventually) will affect markets?
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    edited April 2021

@DawgsCanDance , as I read your prediction, a reval of US equities to rationally reflect corp. earnings means you think markets will start reflecting reality and the era of market and economy decoupling is/will be behind us.

What do you think will be the catalyst? A critical mass of investors sidelining like @Baseman described in his post? Something else?

How do you think the expected economic euphoria post COVID (I assume we all agree this will end eventually) will affect markets?

The stock market is a voting machine, a current snapshot of values. I hope the market takes a shit so I can buy more.

Google, Amazon, and Dominos pizza are close to undervalued now if you take a long term view.

Facebook on fundamentals and projected growth is a buy. Potential regulation, however, gives me pause.
    edited April 2021
    A convergence of factors loom as potential catalysts... take your pick, and there are always previously unseen factors that evolve so who knows? I'm not predicting the following, just saying where triggers could come from...

* Covid virus mutations means that economies are stuck for another 1-2 year period
    * Middle east disturbance of oil distribution such as bombing the terminals and causing long term infrastructure damage
    * rapid sell off in the bond market causes equity investors to head for the exits
    * government income, capital gains and corporate taxation policies damage the business environment and reduce business and household discretionary spending
    * rising level of US interest rates creates debt affordability issues which decreases disposable income
    * the dollar loses it's sovereign status as the method of paying for oil around the world [this is already happening]
    * we don't see the hoped for rebound in service related US business which is 60% of US business
    * the tech bubble bursts [and takes everything with it] because even though the growth rate is fabulous, the valuation is 50% too high even given the most optimistic long term assumptions

A convergence of factors loom as potential catalysts... take your pick, and there are always previously unseen factors that evolve so who knows? I'm not predicting the following, just saying where triggers could come from...

* Covid virus mutations means that economies are stuck for another 1-2 year period
    * Middle east disturbance of oil distribution such as bombing the terminals and causing long term infrastructure damage
    * rapid sell off in the bond market causes equity investors to head for the exits
    * government income, capital gains and corporate taxation policies damage the business environment and reduce business and household discretionary spending
    * rising level of US interest rates creates debt affordability issues which decreases disposable income
    * the dollar loses it's sovereign status as the method of paying for oil around the world [this is already happening]
    * we don't see the hoped for rebound in service related US business which is 60% of US business
    * the tech bubble bursts [and takes everything with it] because even though the growth rate is fabulous, the valuation is 50% too high even given the most optimistic long term assumptions

these are the two that jump out at me. don't know enough about the oil trade to comment on the dollar, but domestically, those two things concern me the most and seem most likely.

tech has proven how essential they are during the pandemic ... I could well be wrong. a tech burst would hurt right now.
    "tech has proven how essential they are during the pandemic ... I could well be wrong. a tech burst would hurt right now."

Yep, the business of tech everything and anything is going gangbusters now and will continue... the question is what the Tech revolution valuation is really worth, and does that mean a pullback of size in the tech valuation which drags the rest of the market down with it ~ which is really what is actually happening now.

"tech has proven how essential they are during the pandemic ... I could well be wrong. a tech burst would hurt right now."

Yep, the business of tech everything and anything is going gangbusters now and will continue... the question is what the Tech revolution valuation is really worth, and does that mean a pullback of size in the tech valuation which drags the rest of the market down with it ~ which is really what is actually happening now.

I'd love to see a pull down -- 50% or more would be awesome. Half off sale on Google, Amazon, Starbucks, Dominos Pizza, Union Paciifc, Berkshire, the SP and QQQ?

Hell Yes!
    Baseman said:

I'd love to see a pull down -- 50% or more would be awesome. Half off sale on Google, Amazon, Starbucks, Dominos Pizza, Union Paciifc, Berkshire, the SP and QQQ?

Hell Yes!
    The way I think about that is, with 8 years left and more new money to put into it, I too should welcome a big pull back so that I can buy cheap. Yes, it's not as comforting to look at the now much smaller number after a big sell off. It takes discipline to be able to tell yourself, "this is good for you. you're not buying at inflated prices. when this bounces back you're going to be much better off. be happy for shitty things."

Psychology plays into things so much. But with that said, 8 years isn't that long, and so if I ran the world, I'd have the pull-back happen now rather than in five years.
    Baseman said:

Hell Yes!
    50% overvalued means a drop of 33% to be fairly valued.... [150% * .666 = 100]

Baseman said:

Hell Yes!
    50% overvalued means a drop of 33% to be fairly valued.... [150% * .666 = 100]
    I'm certain Amazon, Google and the other companies will be worth far more than they are today. And if they aren't, it means the world has gone all to shit and currency will have no value, anyway.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,196
    Baseman said:

The stock market is a voting machine, a current snapshot of values. I hope the market takes a shit so I can buy more.

Google, Amazon, and Dominos pizza are close to undervalued now if you take a long term view.

Facebook on fundamentals and projected growth is a buy. Potential regulation, however, gives me pause.
    I'm sorry. I'm a cretin when it comes to this stuff, but WTF is so special about Domino's and their crappy pizza? I would think the posters here would be high on the Little Caesar's stock.

Baseman said:

I'm sorry. I'm a cretin when it comes to this stuff, but WTF is so special about Domino's and their crappy pizza? I would think the posters here would be high on the Little Caesar's stock.
    I actually like Dominos. But your question still stands.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,631 Founders Club

Baseman said:

Domino's is the worst pizza but easiest to get when drunk at midnight
    edited April 2021

Baseman said:

Dominos out performed Amazon over the past decade by a wide margin.

10,000 in Dominos 10 years ago is worth $245,000 today with an effective current yield of 23% on your original investment.

In comparison, 10,000 in Amazon is worth $172,000 and pays no dividend.

Dominos forecasts yearly sales increases between 8-10% a year over the next three years and they've reached an inflection point where most of the additional revenue falls to the bottom line.

Historically they've blown away earnings estimates. Management executes.

Unlike Starbucks, Dominos franchises their stores. This burden of startup costs falls on the franchisee but don't weep for them because the average payback on startup costs is less than 2 years and the owner can expect over 50% a year return on cash.

The pizza is meh but it's affordable and their technology and loyalty program generate return business. Their wings are damn good and rival buffalo wild wings and cost less.

In any event, I like the company and they're shareholder friendly. They use free cash flow to back stock and increase their dividends, 20% on average the past few years.

$14 billion market cap and still plenty of growth opportunity for new stores.

That's my thesis for going long, anyway. And yeah, it hits the spot when inebriated

Baseman said:

Hell Yes!
    The way I think about that is, with 8 years left and more new money to put into it, I too should welcome a big pull back so that I can buy cheap. Yes, it's not as comforting to look at the now much smaller number after a big sell off. It takes discipline to be able to tell yourself, "this is good for you. you're not buying at inflated prices. when this bounces back you're going to be much better off. be happy for shitty things."

Psychology plays into things so much. But with that said, 8 years isn't that long, and so if I ran the world, I'd have the pull-back happen now rather than in five years.
    is this a business I want to own? Are they executing? Do the company have a wide moat? If yes on all three, if the price falls it is an opportunity to add. Are you a partner in your law firm? If the billings are there and your partners want out, you buy more right?
    edited April 2021
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

10,000 in Dominos 10 years ago is worth $245,000 today with an effective current yield of 23% on your original investment.

Dominos forecasts yearly sales increases between 8-10% a year over the next three years and they've reached an inflection point where most of the additional revenue falls to the bottom line.

Unlike Starbucks, Dominos franchises their stores. This burden of startup costs falls on the franchisee but don't weep for them because the average payback on startup costs is less than 2 years and the owner can expect over 50% a year return on cash.

The pizza is meh but it's affordable and their technology and loyalty program generate return business. Their wings are damn good and rival buffalo wild wings and cost less.

In any event, I like the company and they're shareholder friendly. They use free cash flow to back stock and increase their dividends, 20% on average the past few years.

That's my thesis for going long, anyway. And yeah, it hits the spot when inebriated
    There's a lot of money in that cheap pizza.

@Doog_de_Jour

@RaceBannon

@YellowSnow
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

This would have been my only hesitation ... I would have expected market saturation by this point. Where is there not a Dominos?