Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hamier's reason for leaving...

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

I’ve listened to more of these Noah Dickerson shows. I was surprised at how Dickerson (diplomatically) dismissed Hop a couple episodes ago, given that he only had success under Hop.

Said he preferred Romar because he caters to the player’s strengths vs Hop the “system guy.”

Translation: I like my numbers better than getting wins
    Hop's system is pure shit and has been proofed out over 2 seasons now, so how is this automatically a selfish thing from Dickerson?

It's possible to have a system that gets wins and showcases the talent of your players. Hop's does neither.
    Dickerson did well under hop and they won more games. Hop sucks. Romar sucks, but that is what happened. Fuck everyone associated with this program players and coaches.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,474
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Tequilla said:

I’ve listened to more of these Noah Dickerson shows. I was surprised at how Dickerson (diplomatically) dismissed Hop a couple episodes ago, given that he only had success under Hop.

Said he preferred Romar because he caters to the player’s strengths vs Hop the “system guy.”

Translation: I like my numbers better than getting wins
    Hop's system is pure shit and has been proofed out over 2 seasons now, so how is this automatically a selfish thing from Dickerson?

It's possible to have a system that gets wins and showcases the talent of your players. Hop's does neither.
    Dickerson did well under hop and they won more games. Hop sucks. Romar sucks, but that is what happened. Fuck everyone associated with this program players and coaches.
    This interview is some sour grapes but God Jenn made an all time shit hire.

And IDGAF about women's bball but she just hired another coach who doesn't have recruiting roots on the west coast. Jimmy has to somehow outlast her because we're going to pull some random football coach out of fucking Wake Forest with how this is going.
  • Options
    HireBRoyHireBRoy Member Posts: 77
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    please no further analysis of the program until hop is gone. blow it all up (again).
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    if BRoy is such a good basketball coach, why can’t he land a job?
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,486
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    doogie said:

Nobody is going to hire a high school coach to be head coach outside of a community college. He needs to put in time as an assistant and show he can recruit.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

doogie said:

Nobody is going to hire a high school coach to be head coach outside of a community college. He needs to put in time as an assistant and show he can recruit.
    Memphis did and they're not great but a hell of a lot better than UW right now.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Listened to the full podcast. A few thoughts.

1) Hameir got plenty of time at UW to show off his skill and it never materialized other than a few flashes where I was like oh maybe something is there. He is who he is, and that’s not an NBA player or even a relatively productive power five starter.

Always interesting to see where transfers end up because that really shows how other schools value them, I bet he ends up at like a Pepperdine or something like that and averages like 10 a game. Would be shocked if he was at a power five program next year.

2) Hameir was asked what schools have reached out and he didn’t want to say because he was worried hop would say bad things to them about him.

3) Part of Hamiers gripe was that roles that were at least somewhat discussed with him by the coaches that he thought he would be given a more prominent role as an offensive player as an upperclassman with a longer leash never materialized. He obviously somewhat characterized it as not getting a fair shot / not developing, as we all know there are other arguments in the opposite direction that would be pretty easy to make. He did however take some blame for things not working out, so I think it’s fair to mention that as well.

4) Sounds like Hameir and Noah didn’t think much of Hopkins actual coaching ability. Which I mean, not sure anyone else does either at this point.

Said he still likes Hop as a human just not as a coach. Says if he could do it all over again he would have left after his Sophomore year.
  • Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Listened to the full podcast. A few thoughts.

1) Hameir got plenty of time at UW to show off his skill and it never materialized other than a few flashes where I was like oh maybe something is there. He is who he is, and that’s not an NBA player or even a relatively productive power five starter.

Always interesting to see where transfers end up because that really shows how other schools value them, I bet he ends up at like a Pepperdine or something like that and averages like 10 a game. Would be shocked if he was at a power five program next year.

2) Hameir was asked what schools have reached out and he didn’t want to say because he was worried hop would say bad things to them about him.

3) Part of Hamiers gripe was that roles that were at least somewhat discussed with him by the coaches that he thought he would be given a more prominent role as an offensive player as an upperclassman with a longer leash never materialized. He obviously somewhat characterized it as not getting a fair shot / not developing, as we all know there are other arguments in the opposite direction that would be pretty easy to make. He did however take some blame for things not working out, so I think it’s fair to mention that as well.

4) Sounds like Hameir and Noah didn’t think much of Hopkins actual coaching ability. Which I mean, not sure anyone else does either at this point.

Said he still likes Hop as a human just not as a coach. Says if he could do it all over again he would have left after his Sophomore year.

Out of high school Hameir looked to have a pretty dynamic offensive game and could handle the ball enough to play outside. He wasn't a great athlete but he was 6-9 and could score. I posted a link to a high school clip of him.

In college he never looked comfortable handling the ball and he wasn't even close to athletic enough to match up with college-level guards. For comparison, both Hameir and Jaden McDaniels are 6-9 but McDaniels is so far superior athletically and skill-wise. Hop had no choice but to move Hameir inside but Hameir had zero inside offensive game. After 3 years in the program the writing was on the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CejUbFbUnWU
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I thought Wright was going to be good. He hit a big three late in the Kansas win his freshman year and he seemed to me like one of those guys that would become a great 3rd option and get 12 a game, with good defense.

He started for 3 years and never got any better. He has no one to blame but himself. He’s not good and didn’t get better at UW. As a freshman he seemed like he was lacking strength.

He never got stronger and was just as bad around the basket as a senior. And he never became a very good shooter despite being left open. I bet he’s one of those guys that kills at times in practice and open gyms but can’t perform when the lights are on.

Yea I pretty much agree. I saw enough as a Freshman to think he would develop into a pretty useful upperclassmen. But he was more or less the same player every single year.
  • Options

doogie said:

I understand he's not gonna be the next head coach at UW, but lemme ask you this. Hypothetically, if they hire him next year, would you be opposed? If so, who is a better realistic option?

If the program is still in shambles in a decade, BRoy is (hopefully) the #1 candidate.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    HireBRoy said:

doogie said:

I understand he's not gonna be the next head coach at UW, but lemme ask you this. Hypothetically, if they hire him next year, would you be opposed? If so, who is a better realistic option?

If the program is still in shambles in a decade, BRoy is (hopefully) the #1 candidate.
    Unless he was supported by an EXCELLENT support staff then yes, it’d be a bad hire

If the hire in the women’s program teaches anything it’s that there is an underlying infrastructure at UW that is very appealing to the right candidate ... this isn’t an undesirable job
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

HireBRoy said:

doogie said:

Unless he was supported by an EXCELLENT support staff then yes, it’d be a bad hire

If the hire in the women’s program teaches anything it’s that there is an underlying infrastructure at UW that is very appealing to the right candidate ... this isn’t an undesirable job
    With the college basketball landscape changing so much and the talent in Seattle-Tacoma area, I think it would be pretty easy to build a fence around the state with BRoy and be successful. Why not stay home and play for one of, if not, the best player to come out of the state (especially if you're a one and done). The Penny Hardaway route is gonna become more prevalent. Even though Juwan Howard had some coaching experience in the NBA, I'll put him in the same boat because it's kinda the same idea since they're both big time alums. These kids wanna play for these guys.

Also, it will be interesting to see how the NCAA pays players or let's them make money on the side. Only way to keep the top players around. Too many ways for them to make money now without CBB.

Just curious, who are your top candidates for UW?
  • Options
    HireBRoy said:

Tequilla said:

HireBRoy said:

doogie said:

With the college basketball landscape changing so much and the talent in Seattle-Tacoma area, I think it would be pretty easy to build a fence around the state with BRoy and be successful. Why not stay home and play for one of, if not, the best player to come out of the state (especially if you're a one and done). The Penny Hardaway route is gonna become more prevalent. Even though Juwan Howard had some coaching experience in the NBA, I'll put him in the same boat because it's kinda the same idea since they're both big time alums. These kids wanna play for these guys.

Also, it will be interesting to see how the NCAA pays players or let's them make money on the side. Only way to keep the top players around. Too many ways for them to make money now without CBB.

Juwon vs Penny is a big difference for a number of reasons ... but don’t under estimate the influence having someone like Phil Martelli has at Michigan

Somewhere in this shit hole I threw out some names ... I’m not really that focused on a coaching search right now because there’s a long way between now and then.

Hiring BRoy would be a high risk high volatility hire ... I’m not sure he’s done enough to actually you know prove that he’s earned the job.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

HireBRoy said:

Tequilla said:

HireBRoy said:

doogie said:

Juwon vs Penny is a big difference for a number of reasons ... but don’t under estimate the influence having someone like Phil Martelli has at Michigan

Somewhere in this shit hole I threw out some names ... I’m not really that focused on a coaching search right now because there’s a long way between now and then.

Hiring BRoy would be a high risk high volatility hire ... I’m not sure he’s done enough to actually you know prove that he’s earned the job.
    A large part of my HireBRoy mantra is the incompetence of the athletic department.

I agree it would be a risky hire. I think it would be the perfect marriage in about a decade. The hiring and extension of Hop gives me little confidence that the athletic department knows what the fuck they're doing, so I hypothetically wouldn't be against a BRoy hire next year.

It's crazy that it's come to this. One of the largest metros in the country with so much talent in the area that lost their pro team. All the eyes and resources should be on UW. Royally fucked on so many levels.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HireBRoy said:

Tequilla said:

HireBRoy said:

Tequilla said:

HireBRoy said:

doogie said:

A large part of my HireBRoy mantra is the incompetence of the athletic department.

I agree it would be a risky hire. I think it would be the perfect marriage in about a decade. The hiring and extension of Hop gives me little confidence that the athletic department knows what the fuck they're doing, so I hypothetically wouldn't be against a BRoy hire next year.

It's crazy that it's come to this. One of the largest metros in the country with so much talent in the area that lost their pro team. All the eyes and resources should be on UW. Royally fucked on so many levels.
    Roy has a background of playing for horrible offensive coaches. That said the athletic dept is so incompetent why the hell not. Personally I don’t care if the program is built with local players or transplants. Just win.
  • Options
    I recognize I’m in the minority ... but the local hoops community always rubs me wrong by and large ... too many have viewed the pastures being greener elsewhere when it comes time to turn the words into action
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I recognize I’m in the minority ... but the local hoops community always rubs me wrong by and large ... too many have viewed the pastures being greener elsewhere when it comes time to turn the words into action

Uh... have they also not been? Were they not wrong?
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Uh... have they also not been? Were they not wrong?
    I’m not saying they weren’t wrong ...

But I also laugh at this idea that if you hire BRoy everybody stays home
  • Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Noah Dickerson has a podcast? Jesus.