Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Nacho's silence speaks volumes
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    Founders Club
    edited April 2021
    Fishpo31 said:

I created a steadfast rule that I follow to this day, after craving "nachos" in Brussels years ago...I do not eat seafood in Phoenix, or Mexican food in Boston, and I sure as hell will never eat nachos in a foreign country EVER again...

Imagine being served Chinook salmon in Abu Dhabi...

eh, thank you, but no
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

I created a steadfast rule that I follow to this day, after craving "nachos" in Brussels years ago...I do not eat seafood in Phoenix, or Mexican food in Boston, and I sure as hell will never eat nachos in a foreign country EVER again...

eh, thank you, but no
    Why not? I mean, it's more likely to be New England farmed salmon than Alaskan wild salmon, but refrigeration is refrigeration. What's the problem?
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

eh, thank you, but no
    Why not? I mean, it's more likely to be New England farmed salmon than Alaskan wild salmon, but refrigeration is refrigeration. What's the problem?
    Fair point, for today...history says otherwise, for me
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I work with a bunch of former Alaska fishermen out of Anacortes. That salmon fishery is huge, and their catch ends up all over the world. In fact, the biggest driver of market price is Japan, as they buy a fuckton of it (metric fuckton, of course).

I love salmon, and there's definitely a benefit to getting it in certain places over others. Not so much because of the distance the fish travels (again, refrigeration was invented a long time ago) but because there's an advantage to eating it where it's more prevalent and chefs know how to properly cook it. Japan's a hell of a long ways from Alaska, but I'm betting you're going to get some fucking great wild salmon there. Abu Dhabi... who knows. That place is all about luxury, so you're probably eating at a place where the salmon is $100 and the chef knows his shit. I'd ask if it's wild or farmed, and if they tell me it's farmed or they're not sure, I'd move on. Otherwise, I'd totally try the salmon in Abu Dhabi.

Now, Norman Oklahoma? Yeah... Just give me a steak.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    edited April 2021

Need a thread on where to find the best nachos in the capital of Djibouti

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Fishpo31 said:

I think I had sushi like once in phoenix when I was there for a few years in 14-17.

In Vegas there are lots of good places though. They get the good suppliers I assume that hook up the hotels
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited April 2021
    My point (which I did an admittedly shitty job of making) is that countries / regions / cities are known for food, based on history, culture, access...yada-yada. Omaha for steaks, New Orleans for étouffée, Maine for lobster, Seattle for salmon, Boston for chowder. I know I can get almost anything I want, anywhere I want it, for a price. You can get a cheesesteak almost anywhere, but they all suck compared to what you can get in Philly. BTW, my OP was referencing Belgian nachos, which were essentially a can of Nalleys poured over Pringles...I am going to go puke now...flashbacks

Edited for mis-spelling Nalleys
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I axed her on the Gram.