Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

UW basketball ?

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Tailgater,

Let me see if I have this right. We've been a fucking dreckfest of a program in our history. Yet going into the year, the program has been 1686-1097 throughout its history w/ 20 regular season conference championships. Let's not confuse playing in the same conference during the UCLA dynasty as sucking it up.

And BTW, we're the 16th most successful program (from a total wins perspective) in the history of college basketball.

This is a basketball rich area ... the thought that we can't be successful at hoops is fucking stupid.
    For those that like to blame a loss on Mike Jensen against UConn, the defense played on the Anderson tying 3 by Ryan Appleby was fucking terrible. Downright fucking terrible.

If you want one play in the history of a Romar led program that shows just terrible coaching, it's that play.

And fuck the whole concept of fouling when up 3 ... I get the logic. It's all well and fne. But if you play good defense in those situations ... you shouldn't have to resort to fouling.
    I want to punch people in the fucking face that think that this program shouldn't have an expectation of winning or that we can't do better than Romar.

I get all of the good on Romar. He's a great representative of the UW from a goodwill and ambassador standpoint. He's not a GREAT basketball coach. And the reality is that if you are the University of Washington, you should NEVER look at your resources and advantages and think that you need to take a back seat to ANYBODY.

The University of Washington may not be the best University in the country ... and that's fair. But at the same time, it's a University that doesn't have to apologize for anything either and shouldn't have expectations that they can't be the best at whatever they want to be the best in.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,570 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequila,

Right on. If our basketball program is an embarrassment it's because the powers that be are fine with an *okay* coach. If our football program is an embarrassment for a decade it's because we wanted to give a terrible coach 4 years and a mediocre-at-best coach 5 years or longer. Quooks obviously want to believe it's because they're that much better at everything than us and that's fine. We can say to the other NW schools without completely beating our chest that we have the resources to be good at basketball and football without bankrupting our asses. Cougars, beavs, and ducks, have to be creative and/or gargle the right people to do the same. If that sounds doogish then Fuck you, Fuck you, Fuck y'all.
    At this point, what evidence do we have in place to believe that Scott Woodward is OK with being mediocre or worse?

I can tell you that one of the biggest reasons that baseball has sucked has as much to do with our facilities being a fucking dreckfest as it has to do with the coaching. Knutson also got fat, happy, and restricted by an AD that didn't allow him the funding to recruit non-Washington players. I've driven past the new facilities a couple of times and from a college baseball standpoint, they look borderline amazing. There's a decent chance that I'll actually go show up and watch a game or two this year simply because it actually looks like somewhere where watching a game will be comfortable. The increase in facilities will increase recruiting. I'm not convinced Meggs is the right guy, but he'll get a chance to prove that he is or isn't over the next year or two.

Bottom line ... if we want to win, we have everything we need at our disposal to be able to do so.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

For those that like to blame a loss on Mike Jensen against UConn, the defense played on the Anderson tying 3 by Ryan Appleby was fucking terrible. Downright fucking terrible.

If you want one play in the history of a Romar led program that shows just terrible coaching, it's that play.

And fuck the whole concept of fouling when up 3 ... I get the logic. It's all well and fne. But if you play good defense in those situations ... you shouldn't have to resort to fouling.

Yes, Appleby's defense was atrocious (it's why I mentioned his contributions to the loss earlier in the thread). But serious downvote for the bolded part. Teams hit threes against good defense at the end of games all the time. You coul because it takes away that chance. You especially foul when your best players have fouled out and your stuck with Ryan Appleby on the court at money time.

Jensen
    Appleby
    Romar

It took a team effort to overcome the greatest game of Mal Mal's life.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited February 2014
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Yes, Appleby's defense was atrocious (it's why I mentioned his contributions to the loss earlier in the thread). But serious downvote for the bolded part. Teams hit threes against good defense at the end of games all the time. You coul because it takes away that chance. You especially foul when your best players have fouled out and your stuck with Ryan Appleby on the court at money time.

Jensen
    Appleby
    Romar

I forgot how good Jamaal "The Black Hole" Williams played. I remember him lining up a 3 late in the game and swishing it. It was a textbook, "No, no, no. Great shot Jamaal!"

DNC,

Probably the biggest reason that I'm against the concept of fouling going down the stretch of games is that it introduces the opportunity to lose games. I hate giving myself that chance. Also, as people have got more and more skilled at anticipating the foul, you get people that get the 3 off during the foul.

I can't fault the strategy of those that foul. The numbers tend to back the strategy.

Personally, I would like to see the rules changed in the sense that so often the foul in those situations is so obviously intentional that I actually wish people would call it as such. Moreover, I think it's incredibly boring to watch two teams spend the last 30 seconds of the game marching to the foul line on both sides. I love sports because of watching players execute ... and in particular execute in difficult circumstances. I hate coaches "controlling" the outcome of a game.

The way I look at the game, I'm sporting enough that I've got the confidence that if I play great defense and make someone take a tough shot, if he's good enough to make that shot that I'll give him all of the credit in the world and go right back after him in OT.

One of my biggest complaints in college basketball after last year was the % of charges versus blocks. I'm glad that we saw that rule changed. If I could make a change after this season, it'd be to get rid of the "intentional" foul at the end of the game.

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Jensen
    Appleby
    Romar

I forgot how good Jamaal "The Black Hole" Williams played. I remember him lining up a 3 late in the game and swishing it. It was a textbook, "No, no, no. Great shot Jamaal!"

He couldn't miss
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    That UConn game was my 2nd biggest fan meltdown ever. Arizona 92 was #1.

That UConn game was my 2nd biggest fan meltdown ever. Arizona 92 was #1.

FYAAWRITPADOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Or was that Louisville?

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Not good for my health to think about the UCONN game....
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Jensen
    Appleby
    Romar

that shot put them up 6 with under 2 left, raftery (the crazy fuck who yells onions all the time) even called it the dagger the second after he hit it.
    3:53 on the video. It really took a special team effort to fuck that game up, same with the UNC game where they defended and shot better than they had all season and fucked the game up with TO's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrqfSHiyZY
    Why did I just watch that shit again?

I had blocked out of my mind how much of an assist the officiating gave UConn in that one.

Jensen
    Appleby
    Romar
    Smith
    Refs

True abundance
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,548 Founders Club
    Instead of straight fouling when up 3, I'd like to see teams go full aggression mode for a steal. If you create the turnover, you win. If you don't, you foul in the process and likely preserve the win anyway.

It's the best sportsman approach IMO.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Fuck.... We had some damn good talent
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Suddenly, Husky Basketball while a disappointment and not good enough to pack Hec Ed for every fucking home game with raucous fanatics, is not a loser, but some kind of borderline non-loser. The University of Washington we are told, has a long tradition of winning more basketball games than not and thus when it comes time to buy tickets and donate money for the privilege of doing so, there's no reason why we shouldn't just live in the past and wait for the current coach to retire gracefully in his own time at his own speed.

This has the familiar and nauseating sound of the old school, loyalty driven apology for continuing mediocrity that we heard and read so much of during the build-up to 0-12 in football. It's even more disgusting when applied to a loser's excuse for a Husky basketball program that at least in my long 50 year Husky lifetime has not come close to the brass ring. Who can recall the last time UW made it to the Final Four, much less have the audacity to compare UW glory favorably to that of Pac-12 powers Arizona and UCLA? The doogs abide.
  • LevelParLevelPar Member Posts: 447
    Romar doesn't cheat. The going rate for an Aaron Gordon type of player is $250K. Doesn't excuse his "Deer in the Headlights" on the court coaching but Great talent over comes poor coaching.
    You don't have to cheat to be good ...

I wonder what the budget is at Wichita State for their "recruiting" efforts?
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    Tailgater said:

Yes, it sucks by any measure. The Husky men's BB team is once again looking forward to an NIT first round elimination. And as the 2014 season winds down, we try to avoid watching Romar's hapless crew on the court while keeping an eye on his recruiting struggles. There never seems to be as much hope for improvement as there is a wish for drastic program change....... somehow, someday.

What is the problem? Why can't basketball at Montlake catch fire? Is it anything other than the product on the court? Facilities, travel, lack of local talent, etc? UW round-ballers compete in probably the laziest major conference in the NCAA and yet, the Huskies seem like they are every year trying to out-lazy everybody else in the Pac-12 except possibly Arizona or a California school. Blaming membership in a weak basketball conference seems lame for shouldn't it be more logical that the Pac-12 offers a wide open opportunity for any member school to light a fire in it's belly and dominate?

Forget about the questions and look at the obvious. Coach Romar is far from getting the job done and needs to go and it makes no sense to waste time rationalizing why. That was probably cast-in-concrete when he failed to advance his program beyond the two Sweet-16 rounds he coached the Huskies to years back. Woodward must focus on budgeting the money for hiring a new coach and this time make it enough to get the best basketball mind, mentor, and recruiter money can buy. UW must do a Lute Olson and "steal" a coach with staff away from one of the hot-beds of basketball in the East, Mideast, Southeast, etc. UW can't continue to play lazy West Coast basketball and expect to put a product on the court worth getting excited about.

YouArentABasketballschool

HtH.