Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Are We In a Housing Bubble? (And Will It Burst?!)

2»

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,948 Founders Club
    doogie said:

Reverse mortgages are a scourge on society

Yes and no. It's complicated.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,959

doogie said:

We? do "complicated" here in the Club. One our distinguishing features. Dive in Yella.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited April 2021

doogie said:

Not complicated. If you have a fucking asset that is worth something. Your ass should be able to leverage it. That is the beauty of this capital markets these days, not the during the fucktarted days of the past where markets were fucking inefficient.
    FireCohen said:

doogie said:

Not complicated. If you have a fucking asset that is worth something. Your ass should be able to leverage it. That is the beauty of this capital markets these days, not the during the fucktarted days of the past where markets were fucking inefficient.
    I don't disagree and support oldes being able to leverage their homes if needed for retirement. I'd hypothesize, however, that reverse mortgages contribute to less churn in the housing markets, whereas in the fucktarded days of past more oldes had to sell and move on (i.e., more supply).
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

FireCohen said:

doogie said:

I don't disagree and support oldes being able to leverage their homes if needed for retirement. I'd hypothesize, however, that reverse mortgages contribute to less churn in the housing markets, whereas in the fucktarded days of past more oldes had to sell and move on (i.e., more supply).
    Every jackass has the right to own shit as long as they can manage the leverage
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,157

FireCohen said:

doogie said:

This seems like the actual market solution. Can't afford to age in place? Sell your house and move somewhere else where you can. Not doing a bunch of financial gymnastics to leverage equity which can disappear at any time due to unforeseen circumstances. Cash out and move on.
    edited April 2021

FireCohen said:

doogie said:

This seems like the actual market solution. Can't afford to age in place? Sell your house and move somewhere else where you can. Not doing a bunch of financial gymnastics to leverage equity which can disappear at any time due to unforeseen circumstances. Cash out and move on.
    Reverse mortgage programs are heavily regulated and very conservative in terms of how much equity you can leverage. It's nothing close to 80% of the appraised value, like a conforming traditional 30 year mortgage.

But I agree, they distort the market somewhat for homes. But at the same time it's a free market solution to let people borrow money this way. So which capitalism do you want to go with here?
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

FireCohen said:

doogie said:

Wait, you mean I can’t just send in Political contributions to the Geriatrics in charge to Fuck over the Market to defend and enhance my “wealth” with complex financial tools?
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Anyone pissed about affordable housing without Reverse Mortgages squarely in their sights is an idiot.
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,961 Founders Club

FireCohen said:

doogie said:

Liquidity superiority guy