Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Housing market crash – why hasn’t it happened yet?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,548
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,286
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And the answer is obvious. Moritoriums
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's because my remodel isn't yet 99% finished. Duh.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Uh, I’m not playing this. The dude in the preview image looks like some creeper that going to expose himself to some female jogger in the park.

He will disappoint at least it would have Ben interesting
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,695
    Founders Club
    Supply and demand. There is nowhere near a sufficient level of supply out there right now. Even if demand dropped by 50% right now there still would not be enough supply available to satisfy the remaining demand and cause a big correction in the market.

Is there any data on pent up numbers of foreclosures waiting to happen? I haven't heard of anything like that on the horizon. If homeowners aren't at risk of foreclosure I don't see how there's any large-scale increase in supply on the horizon.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Supply and demand. There is nowhere near a sufficient level of supply out there right now. Even if demand dropped by 50% right now there still would not be enough supply available to satisfy the remaining demand and cause a big correction in the market.

Is there any data on pent up numbers of foreclosures waiting to happen? I haven't heard of anything like that on the horizon. If homeowners aren't at risk of foreclosure I don't see how there's any large-scale increase in supply on the horizon.

That data is on this board and it isn't pretty
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,695
    Founders Club

That data is on this board and it isn't pretty
    Pretty low of you to imply that all of the posters here are poor, gas-pumpers and can't afford their mortgages, Race.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's around 23 million in some sort of behind payment situation and growing. Renters or owner and of course renters effect owners eventually

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Our Seattle home topped out at 525 K in 2004. Bought it for 90

Sold in 2011 or 348K

Paper is paper. It is worth what someone will pay when you want or need to sell

Right now it is positive. Supply is low and people want to flee to the burbs or another state

But you really can't ignore what is out there. People thought it was insane to short the "good" mortgage securities in 07 until it made billionaires out of the guys that did

I'm not rooting for a collapse just learning from history
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sold in 2011 or 348K

Right now it is positive. Supply is low and people want to flee to the burbs or another state

But you really can't ignore what is out there. People thought it was insane to short the "good" mortgage securities in 07 until it made billionaires out of the guys that did

I think we're in some sort of a bubble nationally. And the potential for foreclosures data is very much concerning.

I placed my bet, personally, on more and more people having some sort of virtual hustle and PDX, SEA, SFO, LAX, etc. continuing to suck ass. My market took a 50% haircut in 2008. One of the worst in the US. Could it happen like that again? Sure, anything is possible. More likely I think is 10% to 20% if things got really bad with the US economy as a whole.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

There isn’t any data because, number one, forbearance and number 2, banks don’t want that info out there.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,218

Sold in 2011 or 348K

I think we're in some sort of a bubble nationally. And the potential for foreclosures data is very much concerning.

I placed my bet, personally, on more and more people having some sort of virtual hustle and PDX, SEA, SFO, LAX, etc. continuing to suck ass. My market took a 50% haircut in 2008. One of the worst in the US. Could it happen like that again? Sure, anything is possible. More likely I think is 10% to 20% if things got really bad with the US economy as a whole.
    The major markets are going to get whacked. Might be a good tim to pick something up on the cheap before the occupied Chinese state takes over and the new overlords seek housing (Hi OBK).

The second tier cities (in the NW, Spokane/CDA, Bend, Missoula, Tri Cities, a little bit of Boise - though that's getting played out) are blowing up. If you can swing a hammer or do anything related to home construction, you'll have as much work as you'd like. It's essentially name your price if you want to see your home.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We rent a 2007 California special. The worst construction ever

Folks that were here back in the early oughts say the sound of nail guns echoed throughout the valley
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

We rent a 2007 California special. The worst construction ever

Folks that were here back in the early oughts say the sound of nail guns echoed throughout the valley

I don’t know. My 1927 Seattle house was a piece of shit. My 2003 Wakanda house probably is too. At least I live in a desert and there’s only so much water can do to fuck me.