Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is this right?

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Less than 340,000? That doesn't seem like a lot. Then again, I have no sense of the real wealth distribution in the U.S.

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    there is huge wealth gap, between financial literate people poor unfortunately. figure seems right imo.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Back of the envelope maff:

The max contribution annually to an IRA is 6K (7K after you're 50). Contributing a full 6K, with 10% return takes around 30 years to hit a million. At 15% return it is still ~23 years.

Doing that for a 401K using 19K as the assumed contribution takes 16 years at 15% return and 20 at 10% return. Sure you can go higher than the 19K, with employer match (Love my 6.5% extra there) but it obviously takes a long time to hit 1m with optimistic assumptions on the contributions during the early years.

I'm also curious if these are numbers for a single account or across multiple accounts. IRAs having so many are surprising given the lower contribution allowances, but perhaps with 401K rollovers to IRAs boost those numbers.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,999
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I feel like the middle class is vanishing. I have no numbers to back it up but just what I sense around me.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

I feel like the middle class is vanishing. I have no numbers to back it up but just what I sense around me.

Welcome to 2001
  • Options
    spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

The chart you included is slightly misleading, as it only captures accounts managed by Fidelity. It doesn’t capture 401k, IRA and other defined contribution (e.g. 403b) accounts managed by Vanguard, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, the Thrift Savings Plan, etc.

You’re right; it’s not. The Yahoo version of the article was a little misleading. The WAPO version made it more clear it was limited to Fidelity plans.

So I assume VG has at least Fidelity-like numbers and then there are smaller players.

Even extrapolating from the Fidelity numbers using rough guesstimates, seems there aren’t a lot of Americans with 7 digits in their 401k.
  • Options

spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

The chart you included is slightly misleading, as it only captures accounts managed by Fidelity. It doesn’t capture 401k, IRA and other defined contribution (e.g. 403b) accounts managed by Vanguard, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, the Thrift Savings Plan, etc.

You’re right; it’s not. The Yahoo version of the article was a little misleading. The WAPO version made it more clear it was limited to Fidelity plans.

So I assume VG has at least Fidelity-like numbers and then there are smaller players.

Even extrapolating from the Fidelity numbers using rough guesstimates, seems there aren’t a lot of Americans with 7 digits in their 401k.
    One of my buddies runs the annual American finance report for one of the big 4. He always sends me a free copy where you can segregate by age/education/savings type etc etc. it’s very depressing to look at (especially for the older gen x types).

Millennials are actually doing a pretty good job stowing away cash (probably from habits learned while living at home with their parents 2008-2011ish). Gen x though...woof. Hard to envision how many of them will ever be able to retire
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

One of my buddies runs the annual American finance report for one of the big 4. He always sends me a free copy where you can segregate by age/education/savings type etc etc. it’s very depressing to look at (especially for the older gen x types).

Millennials are actually doing a pretty good job stowing away cash (probably from habits learned while living at home with their parents 2008-2011ish). Gen x though...woof. Hard to envision how many of them will ever be able to retire
    In your estimation, what should a Gen X-er about 8 years from retirement have in retirement investments? Is it fair to include the lump sum value of a pension benefit?
  • Options

ntxduck said:

spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

In your estimation, what should a Gen X-er about 8 years from retirement have in retirement investments? Is it fair to include the lump sum value of a pension benefit?
    Yes—id include that for sure. Everyone’s situation is unique, so I don’t want to name a number (and to be honest I don’t know enough about it for your age group, I’ve only really given it thought for my own age range which is completely different, since I don’t think we will have SS to dependably rely on) but I would assume you’re in good shape, esp in comparison to your peers.

When I say woof about gen x, I’m talking how 35% of 50 year olds have <50k in total assets etc.

When I see that, I think a retirement crisis is on the horizon that will require govt intervention. Or we will just become Italy and everyone’s grandparents will live with them Charlie and the chocolate factory style starting in 20 years

• Options
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

Yes—id include that for sure. Everyone’s situation is unique, so I don’t want to name a number (and to be honest I don’t know enough about it for your age group, I’ve only really given it thought for my own age range which is completely different, since I don’t think we will have SS to dependably rely on) but I would assume you’re in good shape, esp in comparison to your peers.

When I say woof about gen x, I’m talking how 35% of 50 year olds have
    I struggle with the number. I am aiming at $5 to $6M in investments. House is paid; will finance construction of the lake place in the next year or so. Stand to inherit some money/property. Kids college is done and they have no debt. Two more weddings and I’m free.

Goal is to live off investment returns and leave the corpus to my kids. Will likely rent the Seattle place out when I pull up stakes. Want to keep my foothold in Seattle because I’m convinced long-term it’s gong to be a hard place to move back to if you left the market.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    ntxduck said:

spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

What’s the line between Gen X and Millennial from their perspective?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

I struggle with the number. I am aiming at $5 to $6M in investments. House is paid; will finance construction of the lake place in the next year or so. Stand to inherit some money/property. Kids college is done and they have no debt. Two more weddings and I’m free.

Goal is to live off investment returns and leave the corpus to my kids. Will likely rent the Seattle place out when I pull up stakes. Want to keep my foothold in Seattle because I’m convinced long-term it’s gong to be a hard place to move back to if you left the market.

Unless you develop a serious gambling and/or drug addiction in retirement, you’re going to be more than ok based on that plan.

I think renting is def the correct route. Being a landlord can be a pain but I don’t see myself ever selling my first house (rent is mortgage + $1500/mo currently). I just wish I’d listened to my dad more growing up. He always tried to teach me woodworking/metal working (his hobby) and I would always tell him to fuck off. Now I’m looking into apprenticeships at local shops to pick up the skills in my spare time.
  • Options
    whlinder said:

ntxduck said:

spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

I’m in my early 50s so I’m squarely an X-er.
  • Options
    whlinder said:

ntxduck said:

spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

Off the top of my head gen x was 1965(?)-1980, millennials from 1981 to 1995.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

Unless you develop a serious gambling and/or drug addiction in retirement, you’re going to be more than ok based on that plan.

I think renting is def the correct route. Being a landlord can be a pain but I don’t see myself ever selling my first house (rent is mortgage + $1500/mo currently). I just wish I’d listened to my dad more growing up. He always tried to teach me woodworking/metal working (his hobby) and I would always tell him to fuck off. Now I’m looking into apprenticeships at local shops to pick up the skills in my spare time.
    Also, anecdotal but I hear a lot more stories about real estate family members/friends have sold that they shouldn’t have then Vice versa. My great grandma owned a big house basically caddie corner from Hayward field and sold it in the late 80s for around 35k. Would have been a real nice asset to have in the family. Lesson learned—don’t be my great grandma
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

Also, anecdotal but I hear a lot more stories about real estate family members/friends have sold that they shouldn’t have then Vice versa. My great grandma owned a big house basically caddie corner from Hayward field and sold it in the late 80s for around 35k. Would have been a real nice asset to have in the family. Lesson learned—don’t be my great grandma
    Want to follow up on this ... on the road. Both the real estate piece and the carpentry skills.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Lol, no offense Derek, but no "feelings" needed. The middle class vanishing is one of the most quantifiable and striking trends of the last 30 years.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    spuden said:

No, it’s not right.

Disagree. America is House rich which is why homeowners and small re investors are about to get squeezed in Washington state and I’d imagine every blue state in the country. The report is from fidelity, the data is comprehensive. You 401(k)/IRA Millionares out there are not particularly common.

I met a guy in Lauralhurst(?) about three years ago. Some property tax issue was in the news, I can’t remember which one, he casually mentions the thousands he’s about to get jacked and laughed it off. He was asked if he had a limit where it’s “too much” Nope. Not at all. The way he looked at it, whatever was happening in Seattle appreciation wise far outweighed the amount he was getting hit for and although it would eventually cause him a cash flow issue, he was confident the market would always lend against his rising equity to fund their need for increasing property tax.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Which is causing further pressure on inventories moving forward.

Don’t get me started on how fucking selfish and/or Spineless (and yes, sometimes even Spiteful) a Reverse Mortgage is with how it’s gumming up the overall market

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Just imagine Great Grandma in a different scenario.

Imagine Great Grandma back in 1986 running into a Suave @creepycoug’s future Mentor down at Church on Wednesday night and while serving meals together to the under privileged said, “ Yo, GG (he liked to call her that because it made her giggle and that’s just the way he rolled) You looked stressed, what-up?

and she said,

“I just got this check from the house and I just don’t know what to do.”

Suave @creepycoug’s future mentor being the high character brilliant man you would expect him to be said, “ What is it you want to do?”

GG>>> Well, as you know, I’m moving to Great Retirement Village in Anytown. With my income I have more than enough to cover it, still save money and fulfill my pledge here. I want to hold back $Ten thousand dollars for just in case money and put twenty five thousand dollars into one of those Trusts you set up for Margaret last month but I don’t want loudmouth Margaret or anyone else to know about it.

Now Suave @ccfm, being the business and estate planning specialist he is, has seen this seen this scenario a thousand times and he wanted to help her. So, he kept asking questions