Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

According to this Utah writer, Puka is gone

Comments

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,847 Swaye's Wigwam
    Bonedog said:

Ozzy’s dad says Adam and Puka have a father/son relationship and ain’t leaving

Well... all things considering this makes a lot of sense.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Bonedog said:

In @jamesosborne1959 I trust!
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,772 Founders Club
    dnc said:

Bonedog said:

In @jamesosborne1959 I trust!
    IJOIT?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2021

Bonedog said:

Junior Adams to Utah, too? As a package deal?
    Package deals rarely work. My guess is they take Adams and his exhorbitant salary.
    We keep Puka, then hire one of the players' dads to coach WR and further the cost saving efforts.

We'll thank Lake for this when everyone else (except those who played full seasons and made bank) is poor.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,050 Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

Bonedog said:

Package deals rarely work. My guess is they take Adams and his exhorbitant salary.
    We keep Puka, then hire one of the players' dads to coach WR and further the cost saving efforts.

We'll thank Lake for this when everyone else (except those who played full seasons and made bank) is poor.
    Um maybe you didn’t hear, cost is not a problem for uw when searching for coaches.

chuck said:

Bonedog said:

Um maybe you didn’t hear, cost is not a problem for uw when searching for coaches.
    That denial told me the opposite must be true. That and the other obvious evidence.

I just came up with a conspiracy theory on the spot. This whole thing, maybe even Petersen stepping down in the first place and now Kwat leaving, screams at the spector of future cost cutting to me....no raises for coaches, no funds to go after big time hires, and no coffee cup funds. They saved money on Lake but then the 4 game season in front of empty seats came along. Time to kick the plan into overdrive.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,050 Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Bonedog said:

That denial told me the opposite must be true. That and the other obvious evidence.

I just came up with a conspiracy theory on the spot. This whole thing, maybe even Petersen stepping down in the first place and now Kwat leaving, screams at the spector of future cost cutting to me....no raises for coaches, no funds to go after big time hires, and no coffee cup funds. They saved money on Lake but then the 4 game season in front of empty seats came along. Time to kick the plan into overdrive.
    Don’t think it runs that deep. I think Pete was basically running the program with no oversight. Was good enough to win the conference semi consistently but nothing else. He didn’t want to do what it takes to go the extra mile.

Now our AD which is so lost and clueless is in charge. Somehow we deserve this.

chuck said:

chuck said:

Bonedog said:

Don’t think it runs that deep. I think Pete was basically running the program with no oversight. Was good enough to win the conference semi consistently but nothing else. He didn’t want to do what it takes to go the extra mile.

Now our AD which is so lost and clueless is in charge. Somehow we deserve this.
    I dont think so either. I almost sold myself though. I'm getting better at the conspiracy thing.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,782 Founders Club
    I think financial pressures play a larger role than we'd like. I also think the free year of eligibility and the portal are part of a plan that could work or fail spectacularly

Either way September can't get here fast enough
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter

I think financial pressures play a larger role than we'd like. I also think the free year of eligibility and the portal are part of a plan that could work or fail spectacularly

* November 15

That's something that's been bouncing around my head as well. When was the last time you saw a big time program go so long with ZERO news on the scholarship athlete recruiting trail but bring in, what, 20 walk-ons over the same period? My conspiracy theory is that Lake suspects that the extra year of eligibility will lead to teams having 10-person recruiting classes in a year or two, after the scholarship limits come back down to 85 (they did temporarily lift the limit, right?). Lake may be intentionally trying to keep the numbers low to keep the classes balanced and have his pick of Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State/Georgia/Kansas' "we're full" leftovers in '23, right as Huard is hitting his stride.

I see that potential plan working about about as well as "Just wait until COVID restrictions lift and we get these kids on campus."
    Pretty much what was kicking around in my head too

That's something that's been bouncing around my head as well. When was the last time you saw a big time program go so long with ZERO news on the scholarship athlete recruiting trail but bring in, what, 20 walk-ons over the same period? My conspiracy theory is that Lake suspects that the extra year of eligibility will lead to teams having 10-person recruiting classes in a year or two, after the scholarship limits come back down to 85 (they did temporarily lift the limit, right?). Lake may be intentionally trying to keep the numbers low to keep the classes balanced and have his pick of Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State/Georgia/Kansas' "we're full" leftovers in '23, right as Huard is hitting his stride.

I see that potential plan working about about as well as "Just wait until COVID restrictions lift and we get these kids on campus."
    Yeah that’s not gonna work.

Here is why- if rules prevent Alabama and Ohio State from taking their full complement of 5* players guess what happens? The rules change.

Also they’ll just cut kids. And the kids they cut won’t come here anyway especially because we didn’t recruit them.
    But still
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,368
    Seems like we are dealing in hypotheticals