Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

GME / AMC please watch

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2021
    If two words were missing from that sentence, it would have made sense.
  • Options

Just chiming in to say that just because 140% of the float is shorted doesn’t necessarily mean anyone was naked shorting.

If you don’t understand that then you don’t understand short selling.

Raises hand
    You own one share of $gme. You lend it to me and I sell it short. @Swaye hears in a peyote filled vision that the white people are making all the money again and decides to jump in and buys that share from me. But then Swaye lends his share (which is really still your share) out to another short seller who sells it to someone else.

Now 200% are short and 300% are long.
    Of course everybody has to go out eventually and cover the short. What a fun game.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Apparently this has been simmering for awhile.

Informative Tweet thread.

• Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,807
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Just chiming in to say that just because 140% of the float is shorted doesn’t necessarily mean anyone was naked shorting.

It wasn't 140% of the float. It was 140% of total outstanding shares.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    Looks like some of you still need to grasp this: There was no rigged election.

Carry on with the outrage over the rigged financial system.

HTH
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2021

Its Twitter so who knows if its true (don't have RH account so no idea what the interface looks like) but a lot of these claims going around:

Note its currently trading at ~$240/share...
    Don’t make high risk trades on margin. Google what a margin account is and you’ll see this is a common occurrence at every brokerage on earth. If you want to gamble, gamble with your money, not theirs
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Sources said:

Incorrect but even if true doesn’t change my point.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Raises hand
    You own one share of $gme. You lend it to me and I sell it short. @Swaye hears in a peyote filled vision that the white people are making all the money again and decides to jump in and buys that share from me. But then Swaye lends his share (which is really still your share) out to another short seller who sells it to someone else.

Of course everybody has to go out eventually and cover the short. What a fun game.
    Or they don't. And they won't.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,807
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2021

Sources said:

Uh...

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GME/key-statistics/

"Short % of Float (Jan 15, 2021) 4 226.42%"

• Options

HTH

Careful Beav. We don't wear flannel shirts in the club. That's the other place.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    AG seems to be the next shorted stock?

• Options
    ntxduck said:

Its Twitter so who knows if its true (don't have RH account so no idea what the interface looks like) but a lot of these claims going around:

Note its currently trading at ~$240/share...
    Don’t make high risk trades on margin. Google what a margin account is and you’ll see this is a common occurrence at every brokerage on earth. If you want to gamble, gamble with your money, not theirs
    Agreed on margin. The brokerage has their ass hanging out in the wind given that things can change in a hurry in that kind of volatile trading environment.

I wonder if the forced-close happened with purchased shares?
  • Options

Raises hand

Don't you have to return/replace the shares? Or in this case, the share?
  • Options
    Sources said:

Sources said:

Uh...

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GME/key-statistics/

"Short % of Float (Jan 15, 2021) 4 226.42%"

Yahoo finance is your source?

Also from said link, number of shares shorted: 61.46 million which is less than number of shares outstanding and not anywhere near 226% of the float.
  • Options

Raises hand

Not if you have infinite dollars to cover your losses.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Raises hand

By law, yes. In practice, no.

This list would not exist if there were no such thing as failures to deliver. Read the Taibbi piece I linked above. Every security on that list has spent at least five consecutive days with either 10,000 shares or half of a percent of issued shares failed to deliver.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333

HTH

I get that a line needs to be drawn between this place and the Tug. I agree with that and would love for it to be true.

If the "big lie" is accepted as the truth on the finance board, that speaks volumes.
  • Options

Raises hand

Not if you have infinite dollars to cover your losses.
    I see.
  • Options

HTH

I get that a line needs to be drawn between this place and the Tug. I agree with that and would love for it to be true.

If the "big lie" is accepted as the truth on the finance board, that speaks volumes.
    Whether the election was rigged or not doesn't affect our discussions here. If what you mean by "big lie" is all the scrambling for cover by influential hedge fund managers, then, no, it is not established here as a big lie.

Shutting down on-line trading, other than for margin account and trading volatility, is unusual. I'd be pissed if someone closed me out without my permission and then told me it was because it was too risk.