Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

GME / AMC please watch

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is nothing new. Large quantities of naked shorts were the catalyst for the 2008 collapse. To me, it's a little late getting all pissed off about retaliatory actions. Where was the anger that the stock was allowed to be shorted to a greater extent than it was even valued in the first place? The time for regulation was a long time ago, to prevent the problem in the first place.

The long interview posted above was great, and I finally have an understanding of what this story is about (wasn't following it at all), but I have to admit that, although whoever the guy is that was being interviewed owned that anchor completely, the anchor did land one point: The stock is ridiculously overvalued now, and it's going to be all of these Joe Blow retail investors who are going to take it in the shorts when it comes back to Earth. The rich guys who fomented the stock buy and bailed before it crashed are going to make out like bandits. There's a reason the guy is claiming he's going to give the profit from the trade to charity: He, too, knows it's going to get ugly, and he was quite the contortionist in dodging that question multiple times. Two wrongs don't make a right, and the only reason hedge funds manipulating stocks directly is worse than billionaires manipulating stocks in the opposite direction by riling up useful idiots is that the latter is way funnier.

I don't like that there is an investor class with different rules and rights than the average schmuck. I'm enjoying that this institutional investor class got fucked in the ass (a little payback for 2008). But the anchor was right (for the wrong reason): Gamestop's fundamentals aren't there. It's a company that hasn't had a reason to exist for at least three or four years, no plan that I'm aware of to change that, etc.

TL;DR: The answer to retail investors colluding to "break" the market right out in the open in the same way institutional investors collude in private to break the market and destroy companies for profit isn't to widen the investor class gap even further by imposing yet more restriction on retail investors, it's to impose stricter regulation on ALL investors that makes market manipulation illegal in the first place.

Make short sellers ACTUALLY locate the stock they're selling. Done. After that, if idiots on Reddit want to pump up a stock, it's their dumb asses when it crashes. Am I taking crazy pills here?

Agree and disagree...Chamath got rich being a dick at early Facebook, and advertising the short squeeze followed by quietly exiting out and donating it to charity is chickenshit.

Gamestop as a business isn't worth the stock price, but you can say that about a lot of companies right now. The short guys sold 40% more stock than in existence on a bet that the price will drop and they can buy it back cheaper...in effect they have been depressing the price of the stock for a long while now by flooding the market with non-existent shares forcing the price down. They changed the game to make it a market for those shares (and not the business itself), and if people want to own the shares to hold over their head and force them to buy it back at 10x that is their right...eventually the market will find a price where enough people give in and sell that they can start covering and the inherit value of the shares goes back to the value of the company itself. But as of yesterday GME was still shorted something like 135%.

It is completely unfair that Citadel and others stepped in and forced that price lower by preventing people from buying and only allowed selling, much less prevented people from participating.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds like complete agree on all points. Did not know it was still shorted to that extent, though. But I guess that's my point: That never should have been allowed to happen in the first place. Make investors actually locate shares.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,429
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is nothing new. Large quantities of naked shorts were the catalyst for the 2008 collapse. To me, it's a little late getting all pissed off about retaliatory actions. Where was the anger that the stock was allowed to be shorted to a greater extent than it was even valued in the first place? The time for regulation was a long time ago, to prevent the problem in the first place.

The long interview posted above was great, and I finally have an understanding of what this story is about (wasn't following it at all), but I have to admit that, although whoever the guy is that was being interviewed owned that anchor completely, the anchor did land one point: The stock is ridiculously overvalued now, and it's going to be all of these Joe Blow retail investors who are going to take it in the shorts when it comes back to Earth. The rich guys who fomented the stock buy and bailed before it crashed are going to make out like bandits. There's a reason the guy is claiming he's going to give the profit from the trade to charity: He, too, knows it's going to get ugly, and he was quite the contortionist in dodging that question multiple times. Two wrongs don't make a right, and the only reason hedge funds manipulating stocks directly is worse than billionaires manipulating stocks in the opposite direction by riling up useful idiots is that the latter is way funnier.

I don't like that there is an investor class with different rules and rights than the average schmuck. I'm enjoying that this institutional investor class got fucked in the ass (a little payback for 2008). But the anchor was right (for the wrong reason): Gamestop's fundamentals aren't there. It's a company that hasn't had a reason to exist for at least three or four years, no plan that I'm aware of to change that, etc.

TL;DR: The answer to retail investors colluding to "break" the market right out in the open in the same way institutional investors collude in private to break the market and destroy companies for profit isn't to widen the investor class gap even further by imposing yet more restriction on retail investors, it's to impose stricter regulation on ALL investors that makes market manipulation illegal in the first place.

Make short sellers ACTUALLY locate the stock they're selling. Done. After that, if idiots on Reddit want to pump up a stock, it's their dumb asses when it crashes. Am I taking crazy pills here?

Agree and disagree...Chamath got rich being a dick at early Facebook, and advertising the short squeeze followed by quietly exiting out and donating it to charity is chickenshit.

Gamestop as a business isn't worth the stock price, but you can say that about a lot of companies right now. The short guys sold 40% more stock than in existence on a bet that the price will drop and they can buy it back cheaper...in effect they have been depressing the price of the stock for a long while now by flooding the market with non-existent shares forcing the price down. They changed the game to make it a market for those shares (and not the business itself), and if people want to own the shares to hold over their head and force them to buy it back at 10x that is their right...eventually the market will find a price where enough people give in and sell that they can start covering and the inherit value of the shares goes back to the value of the company itself. But as of yesterday GME was still shorted something like 135%.

It is completely unfair that Citadel and others stepped in and forced that price lower by preventing people from buying and only allowed selling, much less prevented people from participating.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds like complete agree on all points. Did not know it was still shorted to that extent, though. But I guess that's my point: That never should have been allowed to happen in the first place. Make investors actually locate shares.
    Do you think the concept of shorting itself could be eliminated? Is that what you mean by locate shares? I'm just a dumb hippie but it does seem like a lot of agreement here
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,807
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Not just #robbinghood. Most platforms blocked all buys on any of the meme stocks. Class action suits, both aisles agreeing this is fucked, could be very interesting if it doesn't blow over quickly.

Bro overlords Portnoy and Chamath are also on a warpath about this.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ntxduck said:

doogie said:
    No one cheered on the fraudulent and unethical pumping of the markets over the last 4 years more than this fucking dork.

Also, RH is dumb af for doing this because you have to know your user base. But it’s not the first time and not the last time it’s happened. I’ve been caught holding the bag on a couple similar Gme-types in the past that got delisted or restricted. It’s a known and assumed risk. Don’t be the one left holding the bag.

It’s only a big deal today because it’s happening to thousands of newb traders all at once. Same as people freaking out when wsb went offline last night, thinking it was something nefarious. Wsb goes offline every fucking month. The mods are a bunch of drama queens who do it for the clout when they reopen it so they can post stupid fuckin Jordan Belfort “I ain’t leavin!” Memes.
    I mean, sure. Fair enough. I have tended not to jump on a lot of these elitist ruling class behind the curtain ideas because they are omnipresent on social media and thus have become tedious ... at least for me.

But this blatant bullshit if even a portion of it is true. I have no comeback to defend it. The closing down of the online platforms is naked aggression against one side of a trade the likes of which I've not seen. It's like, "We don't GAF that you see us doing this. You will not win this war."

Seems like a huge opportunity for some brokerage to separate themselves from the pack to provide online trading platforms, selling themselves with "We won't fuck you on the back side of a trade to serve our masters."

IDK ... I see this as a problem. But I hear you. The deck is stacked against the little guy. You.don't.say.gif.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

lets all wish RH luck in their upcoming IPO.

edit: holy shit, 2020 is fucking nuts:

I only came here, thus breaking my no Tug rule, to point out AOC is completely correct on this one. Not something I ever thought I would type, but when you are right you are right. Kick those entitled Wal Street fags in the junk you sexy tits barmaid. I'm leaving again, see you next year when @AOC says something I agree with again.
    FYI, my beautiful bug killer, you are no longer in the Tug. You are in SPARTA!!!!!!!!!

AKA, Creepycoug's Finance Board.
  • Options

Do you think the concept of shorting itself could be eliminated? Is that what you mean by locate shares? I'm just a dumb hippie but it does seem like a lot of agreement here
    This leads to a new thread I've been wanting to make for a while.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

As of mid-day yesterday...

Down a little more today:

Of course, corrupt actions like this may be helping...

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Its Twitter so who knows if its true (don't have RH account so no idea what the interface looks like) but a lot of these claims going around:

Note its currently trading at ~$240/share...
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,807
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Its Twitter so who knows if its true (don't have RH account so no idea what the interface looks like) but a lot of these claims going around:

Note its currently trading at ~$240/share...
    A few brokerages opened up trading on everything. Seems to be helping the price action. Tomorrow is when a lot of the shorts have to be covered. Will be interesting to see how that affects things, not to mention if the moratorium on trades holds - been several class action suits filed already.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Just chiming in to say that just because 140% of the float is shorted doesn’t necessarily mean anyone was naked shorting.

If you don’t understand that then you don’t understand short selling.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2021

Just chiming in to say that just because 140% of the float is shorted doesn’t necessarily mean anyone was naked shorting.

Raises hand
    You own one share of $gme. You lend it to me and I sell it short. @Swaye hears in a peyote filled vision that the white people are making all the money again and decides to jump in and buys that share from me. But then Swaye lends his share (which is really still your share) out to another short seller who sells it to someone else.

Now 200% are short and 300% are long.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,429
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Raises hand
    You own one share of $gme. You lend it to me and I sell it short. @Swaye hears in a peyote filled vision that the white people are making all the money again and decides to jump in and buys that share from me. But then Swaye lends his share (which is really still your share) out to another short seller who sells it to someone else.

Now 200% are short and 300% are long.
    Will ponder this as well. Thanks