Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture of 1993

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,911
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited January 2021 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture of 1993 30 votes

In the Name of the Father
0%
Schindler's List
23%
whlinderBennyBeaverMad_SondfleaPurpleThrobberDoog_de_Jour1to392831weretaken 7 votes
Groundhog Day
6%
greenbloodHoustonHusky 2 votes
Tombstone
20%
RaceBannonSwayeAtomicDawgdncBad_MotherDuckerJoeEDangerously 6 votes
Dazed and Confused
26%
RoadDawg55alumni94chuckhuskyhooliganspudenLaocoönYellowSnowFishpo31 8 votes
Jurassic Park
20%
Gladstonebiak1DooglesGrundleStiltzkinEl_KBleachedAnusDawg 6 votes
The Fugative
0%
Rudy
0%
A Bronx Tale
0%
F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
3%
DerekJohnson 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dazed and Confused

Skronger year than I recalled. Jurassic Park is an all-tim sci-fi movie. Schlinder/Tombstone/D&C/Groundhog

1993 isn't quite 1994, but still I could vote for 4 or 5 of these flicks. Schindler's List is probably the most historically important in this bunch, but I've only watched it once and that's enough for me. I can watch D&C or Tombstone hundreds of times. And at the end of the day, I watch movies to be entertained.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Jurassic Park
    Impressive run by Speilly
    1993 - Jurassic Park
    1993 - Schindler's List
    1997 - Jurassic Lost World (haven't seen, won't see, but I'm sure it made a lot of money)
    1997 - Amistad (might have seen? I think people love this though)
    1998 - Saving Private Ryan

5 movies in 5 years, 3 of which are all-timmers.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tombstone
    I lived Dazed and Confused and love it but it is not best picture material
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,492
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Jurassic Park
    Not even close. Jurassic Park was, quite possibly, the coolest addition of CGI of all-tim. It made things that humans could only conceive of as fossils or drawings in a book look like they really were roaming the Earth again. I haven't seen the OG Jurassic Park in years, so maybe some of this is 12 y.o. me opining, but this is in my all-time top 10.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Jurassic Park

Not even close. Jurassic Park was, quite possibly, the coolest addition of CGI of all-tim. It made things that humans could only conceive of as fossils or drawings in a book look like they really were roaming the Earth again. I haven't seen the OG Jurassic Park in years, so maybe some of this is 12 y.o. me opining, but this is in my all-time top 10.

It's one of the 10 or so movies that I cannot turn off if I run across on Dish. I've seen several times in the last couple years. It holds up. Really good movie.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dazed and Confused

Have to admit I have forgotten how ground breaking Jurassic was at the time. I always assumed it didn't hold up so haven't watched it again. In my desperate quest for content I now will

Jurassic Park was an amazing achievement. It's just that my confirmation bias leans against the "make believe" and sci fi genres. Tombstone and Dazed are way more in my wheelhouse.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dazed and Confused
    I never got the appeal of Tombstone at all.

Shindler is the easy winner here. It really shouldn't be close, but I felt like keeping it light and that is not very light.

Dazed holds up incredibly well. It's actually funnier now than when I saw it in 1993. One of the problems with the "best picture worthy" requirement is that it rewards too many of the wrong things...hype, budget size, social-political impact, etc.

Was the movie original, well written, well acted, and successful at conveying what they set out to convey? Thats what I try to evaluate. Dazed definitely checks those boxes as well as any of the choices. It helped launch a bunch of successful careers which tells you they casted it well.

I think I made the right choice.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dazed and Confused
    chuck said:

I never got the appeal of Tombstone at all.

Shindler is the easy winner here. It really shouldn't be close, but I felt like keeping it light and that is not very light.

Dazed holds up incredibly well. It's actually funnier now than when I saw it in 1993. One of the problems with the "best picture worthy" requirement is that it rewards too many of the wrong things...hype, budget size, social-political impact, etc.

Was the movie original, well written, well acted, and successful at conveying what they set out to convey? Thats what I try to evaluate. Dazed definitely checks those boxes as well as any of the choices. It helped launch a bunch of successful careers which tells you they casted it well.

I think I made the right choice.

I mostly love Tombstone and probably quote it as much as any movie. There's a few chees ball parts- e.g., Doc Holiday firing like 40 shots from 2 six shooters, but overall I think it holds up well.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Groundhog Day
    I think Wyatt Earp coming around a year later kind of diluted Tombstone.

Jurassic Park is an all-timer sci-fi

Groundhog Day was absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tombstone

I think Wyatt Earp coming around a year later kind of diluted Tombstone.

Jurassic Park is an all-timer sci-fi

Groundhog Day was absolutely brilliant.

I still watch Wyatt Earp for Costner killing the guy with the cue ball but that's about it.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Dazed and Confused

...and we are out of beer.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021
    Tombstone
    Jurassic, D&C are both epic, but Doc Hollidays lines alone in Tombstone make it a bulldozer. Tough call. Three way coin flip for me.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,305
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Schindler's List
    Schindler's List is an amazing work of art, but I have no desire to watch it again. Once was enough. Lot's of other movies this year that aren't on the level of '94 or '95 but are really good. Can't really pick a best.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dazed and Confused

Schindler's List is an amazing work of art, but I have no desire to watch it again. Once was enough. Lot's of other movies this year that aren't on the level of '94 or '95 but are really good. Can't really pick a best.

My high school highly encouraged every kid go see it in the theater. They organized field trips with groups of 30. I was glad I saw it that way, but once was enough.