Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Worst movie to win the Best Picture Oscar?

Comments

• huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Shape of Water - I was onboard until the dance scene. Rest of it didn't make sense.
    Birdman - I'm still not certain what I watched. I understand the whole one continuous shot concept, but the actual storyline sucked.
    The Artist - too french, probably would fall asleep watching. If I wanted to watch old movies, I'd you know, watch old movies.
    The Kings Speech - Mostly because Inception should have won. Where was stop the steal in 2011? Blood is on your hands Obama.

I haven't seen parasite yet. I heard it was good but me no likee readee.

Parasite was good, quite good. Once Upon a Tim was better.
    Everyone keeps telling me it was good. I just don't like reading. Actually that's not true. I think once upon a time would be better if it were like 15 minutes shorter. Don't get me wrong, the ending is fantastic! 1917 was my choice.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Didn’t read the rest of the thread yet, but Crash is a good movie. Maybe not award worthy and a little corny, but still a quality cinematic adventure.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Didn’t read the rest of the thread yet, but Crash is a good movie. Maybe not award worthy and a little corny, but still a quality cinematic adventure.

I haven't watched Crash in a long time (I'm not sure how much I consider it to be a rewatchable movie) but it's definitely a good movie from the standpoint that it's shifting and interweaving story lines makes it a very unique movie when you see it for the first time. There's definitely points during the movie where you're thinking "what the fuck is going on here" and then when it comes together in the end you're left thinking that it makes sense.

The Shape of Water - I was onboard until the dance scene. Rest of it didn't make sense.
    Birdman - I'm still not certain what I watched. I understand the whole one continuous shot concept, but the actual storyline sucked.
    The Artist - too french, probably would fall asleep watching. If I wanted to watch old movies, I'd you know, watch old movies.
    The Kings Speech - Mostly because Inception should have won. Where was stop the steal in 2011? Blood is on your hands Obama.

Everyone keeps telling me it was good. I just don't like reading. Actually that's not true. I think once upon a time would be better if it were like 15 minutes shorter. Don't get me wrong, the ending is fantastic! 1917 was my choice.
    I watched 1917 about 2-3 weeks ago for the first time. It's good but it just felt like it dragged a bit for me. I was into the journey of the 2 individuals going forward to perform their mission but when the numbers changed, it just kinda lost me.
    I wouldn't consider myself a huge movie nerd, particularly when it comes to the Best Picture category because some of the stuff that resonates isn't stuff that completely resonates with me. But some of the thoughts for years over the last 30:

1989: Driving Miss Daisy (winner) ... I've never seen the movie so it's hard for me to opine. Dead Poets Society is great (I'm a huge Robin Williams fan). Field of Dreams is a little played out but still a fantastic movie. Born on the 4th of July is polarizing and for me a tough watch.

1990: Dances With Wolves ... I can see why it won. It's an artsy movie for my taste with effectively zero rewatch value. But it's hard to deny that it's a well done movie. I may be one of the few people that actually likes Godfather III.

1997: Titanic is a deserving winner. That said, in any other year, I'd argue that both As Good As It Gets and Good Will Hunting are movies capable of winning.

1998: Shakespeare in Love (winner) ... ok, it's a decent movie as I like Shakespeare but it's nowhere close to Saving Private Ryan. You'd be hard pressed to find a better war based movie.

2002: Chicago (winner) ... haven't seen it and don't really have a desire to see it. Gangs of New York is epically fantastic.

2005: Traffic (winner) ... in general, I'd say that it would be viewed as a down year. Only other movie that I saw in the Top 5 was Munich which I'd say has a little more appeal to me given it's historical significance. This is the type of year where my earlier references to movies like As Good As It Gets and Good Will Hunting are applicable.

2006: The Departed (winner) ... really strong movie and a very deserving winner.

2009 - Present ... how many movies are we going to nominate ... it's like a participation trophy situation. That said, 2018 I would have been good with either Bohemian Rhapsody or A Star is Born
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I want to say it was Matt Damon, but some actor rightfully pointed out that Best Picture winners should be awarded five years later for Academy voters to take a walk on a beach and get some perspective.

Too many of the winners are fine films, but aren’t the best. Recency bias tends to cloud people’s judgement.

In addition to “Crash”, these are some of the weaker ones that come to mind...

Broadway Melody
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Shakespeare In Love (sorry @ShakespeareDawg)

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan has still got to be the biggest joke in Oscar history.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

2009 - Present ... how many movies are we going to nominate ... it's like a participation trophy situation. That said, 2018 I would have been good with either Bohemian Rhapsody or A Star is Born

What am I missing with Bohemian Rhapsody? Snafu was tremendous as Freddy. He won an Oscar for that right? Rest of the movie was pretty ordinary & by the numbers as I saw it.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183

Tequilla said:

What am I missing with Bohemian Rhapsody? Snafu was tremendous as Freddy. He won an Oscar for that right? Rest of the movie was pretty ordinary & by the numbers as I saw it.
    Sacha Baron Cohen quit the movie because Brian May kept trying to steer the script into how Queen lost their lead singer and continued to triumph. With that said, it’s an okay movie. Just not great.

Now Titanic on the other hand...
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Tequilla said:

Sacha Baron Cohen quit the movie because Brian May kept trying to steer the script into how Queen lost their lead singer and continued to triumph. With that said, it’s an okay movie. Just not great.

Now Titanic on the other hand...
    I was super down for the Ali G version, real shame that fell through. ATBS, Snafu was great. Not my comparison: felt like a HBO production not major studio.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'd take Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas, remember really liking Crash (only watched it once back when it came out), Saving Private Ryan was a huge miss, Good Will Hunting over anything that year. The Departed had gaping plot holes and was pretty meh. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Arrival, which I liked a hell of a lot (but I seem to be a sucker for movies with grandfather paradox problems...).
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2021
    Swaye said:

Tequilla said:

I wouldn't consider myself a huge movie nerd, particularly when it comes to the Best Picture category because some of the stuff that resonates isn't stuff that completely resonates with me. But some of the thoughts for years over the last 30:

1989: Driving Miss Daisy (winner) ... I've never seen the movie so it's hard for me to opine. Dead Poets Society is great (I'm a huge Robin Williams fan). Field of Dreams is a little played out but still a fantastic movie. Born on the 4th of July is polarizing and for me a tough watch.

1990: Dances With Wolves ... I can see why it won. It's an artsy movie for my taste with effectively zero rewatch value. But it's hard to deny that it's a well done movie. I may be one of the few people that actually likes Godfather III.

1997: Titanic is a deserving winner. That said, in any other year, I'd argue that both As Good As It Gets and Good Will Hunting are movies capable of winning.

1998: Shakespeare in Love (winner) ... ok, it's a decent movie as I like Shakespeare but it's nowhere close to Saving Private Ryan. You'd be hard pressed to find a better war based movie.

2002: Chicago (winner) ... haven't seen it and don't really have a desire to see it. Gangs of New York is epically fantastic.

2005: Traffic (winner) ... in general, I'd say that it would be viewed as a down year. Only other movie that I saw in the Top 5 was Munich which I'd say has a little more appeal to me given it's historical significance. This is the type of year where my earlier references to movies like As Good As It Gets and Good Will Hunting are applicable.

2006: The Departed (winner) ... really strong movie and a very deserving winner.

I had forgotten about that trash Chicago over Gangs of New York. Still not as much of a snub as SPR got. Fucking Shakespeare in Love. What a pile of shit.

Dances with Wolves was the shit. First movie that actually took the Injuns sides against the White Devils.

Dude.....

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Tequilla said:

I had forgotten about that trash Chicago over Gangs of New York. Still not as much of a snub as SPR got. Fucking Shakespeare in Love. What a pile of shit.

Dances with Wolves was the shit. First movie that actually took the Injuns sides against the White Devils.
    I’d give that nod to Little Big Man, but it’s your world.

• biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,982
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

I want to say it was Matt Damon, but some actor rightfully pointed out that Best Picture winners should be awarded five years later for Academy voters to take a walk on a beach and get some perspective.

Too many of the winners are fine films, but aren’t the best. Recency bias tends to cloud people’s judgement.

Broadway Melody

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan has still got to be the biggest joke in Oscar history.
    As a teenager this was a real eye opener into how the world was biased and rigged. I guess I was a fan of Husky football so one in the same. What life of privilege.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I watched 1917 about 2-3 weeks ago for the first time. It's good but it just felt like it dragged a bit for me. I was into the journey of the 2 individuals going forward to perform their mission but when the numbers changed, it just kinda lost me.
    I could see that for some people. That feeling of dragging, I guess based on perspective, is I believe how war, especially WWI would feel. Feeling of drawn out. I too was surprised by the loss of the one, but a war movie is not a war movie without the element of tragedy. I thought the town scene was amazing. Plus the brother scene had me trying to discretely wipe away tears.

Tequilla said:

I could see that for some people. That feeling of dragging, I guess based on perspective, is I believe how war, especially WWI would feel. Feeling of drawn out. I too was surprised by the loss of the one, but a war movie is not a war movie without the element of tragedy. I thought the town scene was amazing. Plus the brother scene had me trying to discretely wipe away tears.
    I’m a history nerd for sure and generally have a bias to war movies

WW1 is just kind of a weird war to me as it was a bit of a transition from old school infantry tactics to more modern techniques tied to intricate trench warfare, use of chemical weapons, and leveraging planes.

Even when you go back and look at the underlying currents of the War, it’s really hard to figure out what the whole point was other than countries having alliances with others and on and on.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Broadway Melody

MDRYK

Movies need time to breath and age, like a fine wine (faggy wink), before we truly can truly absorb and sort them.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    '12 Years a Slave' wasn't bad per say, but 'Her' and 'Dallas Buyers Club' were works of art and it's a god damn shame they didn't win.