Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Worst movie to win the Best Picture Oscar?

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
I'll say Crash (2006). Yuck.

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Whatever won it the last 5 years. All movies are woke trash now.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    Swaye's Wigwam

Looking at the list — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture — surprised that I'm surprised how few I've seen recently, and I like movies.
    2012, I liked Argo but Zero Dark Thirty, Django and Life of Pi all better.
    2016, Arrival was robbed.
    2018, Green Book was good, but Star Is Born & Favourite way, way better. Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't belong on the list.

Damn, years like 1994 don't come along that often.
    Forrest Gump
    Four Weddings and a Funeral (meh, but still good)
    Pulp Fiction
    Quiz Show
    The Shawshank Redemption

Good Fellas should have beat @Swaye in 1990, but still the latter was a wonderful film.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Looking at the list — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture — surprised that I'm surprised how few I've seen recently, and I like movies.
    2012, I liked Argo but Zero Dark Thirty, Django and Life of Pi all better.
    2016, Arrival was robbed.
    2018, Green Book was good, but Star Is Born & Favourite way, way better. Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't belong on the list.

Damn, years like 1994 don't come along that often.
    Forrest Gump
    Four Weddings and a Funeral (meh, but still good)
    Pulp Fiction
    Quiz Show
    The Shawshank Redemption

Good Fellas should have beat @Swaye in 1990, but still the latter was a wonderful film.
    Goodfellas is objectively and substantially superior.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1939 Gone with the Wind

too racist, last time I saw it I laughed at all the corny dialogue.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Driving Miss Daisy over Do the Right Thing, and Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas in back to back years is pretty rough
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Seriously. How the fuck is @Gladstone downvoting me? I yelled out in the theater that the boat was gonna sink.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Seriously. How the fuck is @Gladstone downvoting me? I yelled out in the theater that the boat was gonna sink.
    The Gas Station TV Production course final project I submitted was just my friend downing bourbon and thrashing Titanic.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,083
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Shape of Water - I was onboard until the dance scene. Rest of it didn't make sense.
    Birdman - I'm still not certain what I watched. I understand the whole one continuous shot concept, but the actual storyline sucked.
    The Artist - too french, probably would fall asleep watching. If I wanted to watch old movies, I'd you know, watch old movies.
    The Kings Speech - Mostly because Inception should have won. Where was stop the steal in 2011? Blood is on your hands Obama.

I haven't seen parasite yet. I heard it was good but me no likee readee.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

The Shape of Water - I was onboard until the dance scene. Rest of it didn't make sense.
    Birdman - I'm still not certain what I watched. I understand the whole one continuous shot concept, but the actual storyline sucked.
    The Artist - too french, probably would fall asleep watching. If I wanted to watch old movies, I'd you know, watch old movies.
    The Kings Speech - Mostly because Inception should have won. Where was stop the steal in 2011? Blood is on your hands Obama.

I haven't seen parasite yet. I heard it was good but me no likee readee.

Parasite was good, quite good. Once Upon a Tim was better.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

1) While the movie perhaps was 15-30 minutes longer than it needed to be, it’s a fully developed movie that does a good job of encompassing the legend of Titanic both at the time and 75 years later

2) Kate’s young bosom
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

1) While the movie perhaps was 15-30 minutes longer than it needed to be, it’s a fully developed movie that does a good job of encompassing the legend of Titanic both at the time and 75 years later

2) Kate’s young bosom
    We’re gonna need a bigger shovel Teq. It’s getting deep in here.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,083
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

I downvote with love. I know Titanic is probably too Old Hollywood for the older, cynical dudes on here but I'll defend it. If nothing else, the entire second half is a superior action movie than 99.9999% of action movies -- and directed by arguably the greatest action director of all time. Scenes like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg9VDvAQ-1k

Everyone knows it's going to hit. Obviously. And yet the tension is absolutely intoxicating and you find yourself just hoping, praying they'll avoid it. It's amazing. I strongly urge a rewatch on this and yes, the teen girl Leo crush was annoying for a long time.

Just an insane amount of love and effort and detail put into it. Flame away.

Argo kind of did the same thing, in you already knew the outcome, but still made it suspenseful, or thinking they would get caught.