Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Elijah Molden

Is this nfl class of DBs just that deep or is E3 actually not as good as we thing cuz damn I though that homie would go in the 1st round but they have 4 or 5 other DBs going ahead of him lmao

Comments

• DodgyBlokeDodgyBloke Member Posts: 957
    Correction they have him the 15th rated DB out of 18 in this class lmao some team is going to get a steal
  • KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,055
    edited January 2021

The only way DBs go in the first round:
    * Top CB capable of covering franchise WRs every down. 6-6’2” 200ish, with elite speed.
    * Freak safety. Jamal Adams or Minkah Fitzpatrick types.
    Those are the top-20ish picks that are usually on NFL radars from the time they’re 5-star recruits.

End of the first round or start of the second you can get the slightly damaged or defective version of those.

Safeties, and CBs you don’t expect to be perennial Pro-Bowl level contributors start in the second round. If Molden is 5’10” he will probably be pigeonholed as a slot corner or nickelback. The only way to overcome that size and be a first rounder is with insane, sustained production and elite athleticism. CB is one of those positions where there is no substitute for the right combo of size and athleticism, safety is more lenient but also more replaceable thus a lower draft value.

Agree. The only guy off memory similar in size who didn't match what you wrote was Joe Haden and he went 7th overall. I think Molden sneaks into rd 1 if he runs in the 4.4s. It is really hard to tell now fast he is.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    Who is "they"? There are numerous draft projection sites with rankings all over the place.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

* Top CB capable of covering franchise WRs every down. 6-6’2” 200ish, with elite speed.
    Those are the top-20ish picks that are usually on NFL radars from the time they’re 5-star recruits.

End of the first round or start of the second you can get the slightly damaged or defective version of those.

Safeties, and CBs you don’t expect to be perennial Pro-Bowl level contributors start in the second round. If Molden is 5’10” he will probably be pigeonholed as a slot corner or nickelback. The only way to overcome that size and be a first rounder is with insane, sustained production and elite athleticism. CB is one of those positions where there is no substitute for the right combo of size and athleticism, safety is more lenient but also more replaceable thus a lower draft value.

Agree. The only guy off memory similar in size who didn't match what you wrote was Joe Haden and he went 7th overall. I think Molden sneaks into rd 1 if he runs in the 4.4s. It is really hard to tell now fast he is.
    It wouldn’t surprise me too much if Molden snuck into the end of the first round, or at all if he’s a second rounder. He did do testing at The Opening finals, which isn’t the most accurate but is useful for comparing to guys from the same event. Some other guys from the 2016 event-
    Elijah Molden: 4.52 at The Opening
    Jaylon Johnson: 4.47 at The Opening 4.50 at NFL combine
    Cam Akers: 4.41 at The Opening 4.47 at combine
    Demo Lenoir: 4.43 at The Opening
    Usually RBs and DBs run slower times after college, as they bulk up. Salvon Ahmed took that to the extreme, as he was the fastest RB at 4.32 and pulled off a 4.62 at the combine.

Not to nitpick, but Joe Haden also applies although he’s below ideal size. He follows the insane, sustained production part: 220 tackles and 8 INT in three seasons, unanimous first team All-American, star of a national title game, crazy athleticism, recruiting pedigree 59th overall on Rivals.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

It wouldn’t surprise me too much if Molden snuck into the end of the first round, or at all if he’s a second rounder. He did do testing at The Opening finals, which isn’t the most accurate but is useful for comparing to guys from the same event. Some other guys from the 2016 event-
    Usually RBs and DBs run slower times after college, as they bulk up. Salvon Ahmed took that to the extreme, as he was the fastest RB at 4.32 and pulled off a 4.62 at the combine.

Not to nitpick, but Joe Haden also applies although he’s below ideal size. He follows the insane, sustained production part: 220 tackles and 8 INT in three seasons, unanimous first team All-American, star of a national title game, crazy athleticism, recruiting pedigree 59th overall on Rivals.
    Budda Baker went early second round, Budda was ranked as the top nickel DB and the 2nd best FS in the draft his year.

Molden isn't seen as a safety hybrid like Budda was and he doesnt have the same proven production that Budda had. Molden COULD be a Budda type but its hard to imagine him going in the first round or even early 2nd even if he tests really well...

The shitshow of a season is going to have coaches/scouts depending even more on the underwear Olympics measurables this year and limiting risk, If molden tests well I could see him going late 2nd, if he tests poorly I could see him dropping way into the 6th.

The ELITE prototypical outside CBs and larger safeties will go before him IMO... But its the NFL... EWIWBI.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Houhusky said:

Budda Baker went early second round, Budda was ranked as the top nickel DB and the 2nd best FS in the draft his year.

Molden isn't seen as a safety hybrid like Budda was and he doesnt have the same proven production that Budda had. Molden COULD be a Budda type but its hard to imagine him going in the first round or even early 2nd even if he tests really well...

The shitshow of a season is going to have coaches/scouts depending even more on the underwear Olympics measurables this year and limiting risk, If molden tests well I could see him going late 2nd, if he tests poorly I could see him dropping way into the 6th.

The ELITE prototypical outside CBs and larger safeties will go before him IMO... But its the NFL... EWIWBI.
    He won't drop anywhere near the 6th. 4th is his floor IMO baring some sort of Bryant/Ahmed combine disaster.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    - 4 round floor
    - 3rd round of he tests and interviews well at the underwear olympics. No question he will interview tops ... Physical testing is the critical part
    - 2nd round if he test and interviews outstanding AND someone falls in love with his bloodlines both family and uw secondary reputation for coaching up.
    - late, late 1st round if someone is high on draft night and thinks moldeb is 6 feet tall
    dnc said:

Houhusky said:

He won't drop anywhere near the 6th. 4th is his floor IMO baring some sort of Bryant/Ahmed combine disaster.
    "Bryant/Ahmed combine disaster" = "if he tests poorly"

tomato/potato

FWIW I think he makes the most sense as a 3rd round pick regardless of testing...

Late enough you dont get fired if he busts and if he ends up as a cheaper budda clone in the slot/striker/safety position you look like a genius
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Having more tape would have helped him. Dude was playing on high level
    Houhusky said:

dnc said:

Houhusky said:

"Bryant/Ahmed combine disaster" = "if he tests poorly"

tomato/potato

FWIW I think he makes the most sense as a 3rd round pick regardless of testing...

Late enough you dont get fired if he busts and if he ends up as a cheaper budda clone in the slot/striker/safety position you look like a genius
    You have an interesting definition of poorly.

Poorly to me is below expectations.

Ahmed/Bryant were way below expectation. I would call that awful/terrible/miserable etc.

Much stronger than "poorly".
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,481

Houhusky said:

I hate to admit it, even though he and I buried the hatchet, but Budda really surpassed expectations and is fun to watch. I have to respect his craft and athleticism. It’s a minor miracle for a few years ago that he was even drafted that high at his size - But the NFL game is changing really rapidly. The difference between the 2016 season and 2020 season is easily noticeable just by looking at stats.

Nickels are no longer just the smallish corner you have on your roster that you start when one of the regular CBs is at the birth of his 17th child, or in a walking boot because he tried to learn traditional Cossack horse riding on his day off, or recovering from a jaw injury suffered on the team plane when he and the DT beefed over poker debt or women or whatever.

They’re actually integral now, you need someone ready to cover a speed or possession WR, deal with 6’6” 265 pound refrigerators that are as fast as the receivers and can block, and now the QBs either run or fake runs and those QBs are sometimes faster than the receivers and some of them are a few weeks of good eating away from being as big as the TEs. Oh yeah, and tackle these running backs that run in the 4.3s or are Legarrette Blount sized that physics says you shouldn’t be able to unless you’re shaped like a ramp. But you don’t know that because you’re an NFL player. Every position is changing to some extent. DTs are no longer Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa but Aaron Donald and DeForest Buckner with minimal body fat and hands the size of couch cushions.

So hopefully that helps Molden. I think the third round is the likeliest place for him, but all it takes is one team. Molden might even benefit from being a bit under the radar. I’m already seeing questions about Jevon Holland’s athleticism and size. Heard the same about Jairus Byrd after he ran a 4.68 and then led the league with 9 interceptions his rookie year. I believe in the statistical probabilities as much as anyone, and even I get frustrated with how doodoo dumb NFL people can be sometimes.
    You and Budda are tight, huh?
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,852
    Houhusky said:

What are you talking about? He had like 18 PBUs and 4 picks last year? He’s been top 3 in the country in coverage grade the past 2 years... Do you even watch the games?
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    digits said:

Houhusky said:

I hate to admit it, even though he and I buried the hatchet, but Budda really surpassed expectations and is fun to watch. I have to respect his craft and athleticism. It’s a minor miracle for a few years ago that he was even drafted that high at his size - But the NFL game is changing really rapidly. The difference between the 2016 season and 2020 season is easily noticeable just by looking at stats.

Nickels are no longer just the smallish corner you have on your roster that you start when one of the regular CBs is at the birth of his 17th child, or in a walking boot because he tried to learn traditional Cossack horse riding on his day off, or recovering from a jaw injury suffered on the team plane when he and the DT beefed over poker debt or women or whatever.

They’re actually integral now, you need someone ready to cover a speed or possession WR, deal with 6’6” 265 pound refrigerators that are as fast as the receivers and can block, and now the QBs either run or fake runs and those QBs are sometimes faster than the receivers and some of them are a few weeks of good eating away from being as big as the TEs. Oh yeah, and tackle these running backs that run in the 4.3s or are Legarrette Blount sized that physics says you shouldn’t be able to unless you’re shaped like a ramp. But you don’t know that because you’re an NFL player. Every position is changing to some extent. DTs are no longer Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa but Aaron Donald and DeForest Buckner with minimal body fat and hands the size of couch cushions.

So hopefully that helps Molden. I think the third round is the likeliest place for him, but all it takes is one team. Molden might even benefit from being a bit under the radar. I’m already seeing questions about Jevon Holland’s athleticism and size. Heard the same about Jairus Byrd after he ran a 4.68 and then led the league with 9 interceptions his rookie year. I believe in the statistical probabilities as much as anyone, and even I get frustrated with how doodoo dumb NFL people can be sometimes.
    You and Budda are tight, huh?
    I wouldn’t bury Geirean hatchet with someone I don’t trust.
    edited January 2021

Houhusky said:

What are you talking about? He had like 18 PBUs and 4 picks last year? He’s been top 3 in the country in coverage grade the past 2 years... Do you even watch the games?
    Budda had 80 fucking tackles and was a freshman all American as a true freshman and continued that consistent production all three years to a consensus all american... He was fucking dominate from the second he stepped on campus until he left for 3 fucking years.

Molden played really fucking well, had a great season last year. This season he played well in the 4 fake games we had... He is a really good player but dont pretend that Molden and Budda have had comparable production

JFC... PFF... fuck off.
    I think Budda is a better athlete and better in coverage but not by a ton. And Molden makes up that gap with far superior ball skills.

I would guess Molden will be a second rounder, again unless his combine bombshell and he runs like a 4.8. If he can get under 4.6 he’ll go by round 2. He’s good.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,852
    Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

Budda had 80 fucking tackles and was a freshman all American as a true freshman and continued that consistent production all three years to a consensus all american... He was fucking dominate from the second he stepped on campus until he left for 3 fucking years.

Molden played really fucking well, had a great season last year. This season he played well in the 4 fake games we had... He is a really good player but dont pretend that Molden and Budda have had comparable production

JFC... PFF... fuck off.
    We using tackles in 2020? Gtfo