Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cleveland Browns

13»

Comments

• Options
    I guess I lowered the grade due to how amazing their 2010 draft and 2012 drafts were.

Pretty incredible. I guess 2011 draft was a home run so I'm bitching since 2010 and 2012 were fucking grand slams.

Good point guys. That is why this team went from no talent at all when Carroll took over(No pro bowlers on the roster at the time and only one future one in Unger who was only a rookie) to being easily the best team in the NFL talent wise is due to this great drafting.

Not to mention that 2011 draft also includes undrafted FA Doug Baldwin which puts that as an A if not already.

2010 and 2012 might be the best in franchise history.

2010 had Thomas, Okung, Tate, Thurmond, Chancellor

2012 had Irvin, Wagner, Wilson, Turbin, Lane and Sweezy.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014

I guess I lowered the grade due to how amazing their 2010 draft and 2012 drafts were.

Pretty incredible. I guess 2011 draft was a home run so I'm bitching since 2010 and 2012 were fucking grand slams.

Good point guys. That is why this team went from no talent at all when Carroll took over(No pro bowlers on the roster at the time and only one future one in Unger who was only a rookie) to being easily the best team in the NFL talent wise is due to this great drafting.

Not to mention that 2011 draft also includes undrafted FA Doug Baldwin which puts that as an A if not already.

To string together three straight drafts, each with multiple Pro Bowl caliber players is amazing. I would love to see a stretch by another team in any time that put together three straight drafts that well. I have no clue, but it wouldn't shock me if it's the best three year run of all time.

Carroll and Schneider have been so fucking good that you forget they actually made the idiotic Charlie Whitehurst deal. All of the LB's and secondary from the Super Bowl were all players drafted since 2010.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Is 2012 really that far ahead of 2011? If you ranked all the players from those classes you'd probably put them like this:

Wilson 12
    Sherman 11
    Wagner 12
    Wright 11
    Baldwin 11
    Maxwell 11
    Smith 11
    Irvin 12
    Kearse 12
    Sweezy 12
    Lane 12
    Turbin 12
    Carpenter 11
    Moffitt 11

12 has the most valuable player but 11 has 5 of the top 7.

I guess you could say the 2012 class is the Denver Broncos to 2011's Seattle Seahawks.

We're probably splitting hairs. Once you factor in the UDFA's, you get three straight grand slam rookie classes.

2013 has a lot of work to do.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Is 2012 really that far ahead of 2011? If you ranked all the players from those classes you'd probably put them like this:

Wilson 12
    Sherman 11
    Wagner 12
    Wright 11
    Baldwin 11
    Maxwell 11
    Smith 11
    Irvin 12
    Kearse 12
    Sweezy 12
    Lane 12
    Turbin 12
    Carpenter 11
    Moffitt 11

12 has the most valuable player but 11 has 5 of the top 7.

I guess you could say the 2012 class is the Denver Broncos to 2011's Seattle Seahawks.

We're probably splitting hairs. Once you factor in the UDFA's, you get three straight grand slam rookie classes.

2013 has a lot of work to do.
    2013 can still pan out. I mean Luke Willson will have a bigger role, plus Michael Bowie another late round pick could be a starter, Christine Michael is the big X factor in that draft as well as Percy Harvin who was essentially their first round pick in that draft.

2011 draft got a lot better once Maxwell emerged that is for sure. I think I'd go with 2012 slightly over 2011 since like you had two of the top three guys were 2012 and the two worst were 2011.

Still pretty good drafts.

Unlike the Holmgren era who KJR loves to rave about we are actually see late round picks blossum. Did Holmgren ever have a 4th round, 5th, 6th or 7th round pick of his make a pro bowl while with Seattle? I'm going to assume the answer is no.
  • Options
    In fact just did some researching here are Holmgren's pro bowl players that were drafted during his era.

Shaun Alexander-1st round
    Steve Hutchinson- 1st round
    Marcus Trufant- 1st round
    Alex Bannister- 5th round(was selected for special teams)
    Lofa Tatupu- 2nd round

While Carroll's drafted players who have already made a pro bowl go like this

Thomas- 1st
    Okung- 1st
    Chancellor- 5th
    Sherman- 5th
    Wilson- 3rd
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014
    It's too early to fully judge 2013, but it's the worst draft. To be fair, a player would have to be really good to get playing time. Lots of those guys were injured too.The only guys from 2013 that got solid time were Willson, Bowie, and Bailey. Bowie and Bailey played on the weakest unit on the team.

Christine will likely play more next year, and one of the DT's will get some playing time. Jesse Williams was out for the year, and Jordan Hill was hurt for a good portion as well. Simon is another guy who was injured. Maybe he can be the dime back, or even compete with Lane to be the nickel. Lane played pretty well when he got the chance though.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

In fact just did some researching here are Holmgren's pro bowl players that were drafted during his era.

Shaun Alexander-1st round
    Steve Hutchinson- 1st round
    Marcus Trufant- 1st round
    Alex Bannister- 5th round(was selected for special teams)
    Lofa Tatupu- 2nd round

While Carroll's drafted players who have already made a pro bowl go like this

Thomas- 1st
    Okung- 1st
    Chancellor- 5th
    Sherman- 5th
    Wilson- 3rd

Wagner, Wright, and Maxwell are all borderline Pro Bowlers. Wagner especially should make it in the next year or two. Wright is in a tough spot because he is a 4-3 OLB, and there are OLB's in the 3-4 that rack up double digit sacks, but he's a good player. Maxwell looked like a Pro Bowler to me at CB.

On another note, I hope Irvin goes back to DE once Clemons leaves. We may not be able to afford Avril after next year too. He had 8.5 sacks his rookie year and I think we played better with Smith in the line-up than Irvin. Let him come in on passing situations and do what he has done best since college.