Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cleveland Browns

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

I actually watched the Browns win their last NFL Title on tee vee. Non HD. They beat Johnny U and the Colts

Holy shit you are old.

From Wikipedia:

In 1964, the Browns went 10–3–1 and reached their first title game in seven years. They throttled the heavily favored Baltimore Colts 27–0, with receiver Gary Collins catching three touchdown passes to earn the MVP award. Currently, this is the most recent major league sports championship for the city of Cleveland.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,429
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was 8. Frank Ryan was the QB and it was a big upset. The next year the Packers beat the Browns in the first of their three peat
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Buffalo jumped better than any team this year when it came to defense. Problem is the Browns are always rolling the dice with their hires and then never actually let them try to improve. This could be a good hire, but we probably won't know because the Browns will miss the playoffs and then its off to hire the next coordinator to try and make their team 12-4 next year (which won't happen and then the cycle will repeat itself).

Browns fucked themselves in the ass when they drafted Brandon Weeden who entered the draft at 57 years old. Fucking first round pick on that guy.

That was the QB Holmgren personally wanted. They also blew a top 10 pick on Trent Richardson in that draft (who they managed to somehow steal a 1st round pick back for).
  • Options

Anytime you can get the DC from Buffalo to be your head coach, you have to do it. I know no one (or at least very few) cares, but the Browns have to be the most fucktarded NFL franchise.

Go 0-16 and then hire Jim Caldwells dead rotting corpse to be your head coach then pop off.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Anytime you can get the DC from Buffalo to be your head coach, you have to do it. I know no one (or at least very few) cares, but the Browns have to be the most fucktarded NFL franchise.

Go 0-16 and then hire Jim Caldwells dead rotting corpse to be your head coach then pop off.
    Good choice, but I still think the Browns are worse. Lions have 9-7, maybe 10-6 potential. They could sneak into the playoffs. Browns might not go for a long time. Browns, Raiders, and Lions. It's between those 3.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    At least Race can remember the Browns winning a championship. Not so much for the Lions.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,429
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah the Lions were like 1956 or so. Bobby Layne. Grainy films
  • Options
    At least at some point the Browns were relevant(1980's) you can't say that about the Detroit Lions. They are so fucking awful they don't even have a heartbreak moment they just fucking suck.

Not one Lions coach has coached at another team after being fired for them since 1970. Total fucking dreckfest.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,480
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I love the Lions for giving Barry Sanders the shittiest possible line ever. Imagine how boring his highlights would be if he played for a team with actual holes.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    now that they've hired K. Shanahan watch them draft JM, run that stupid college offense he ran with RGIII and get Manziel killed. I'm a huge JF fan so I'm praying he doesn't go to cleveland, if he does he's screwed
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Apparently they didn't even seriously consider Dan Quinn. If they hired the fucking Buffalo DC they probably should have at least waited until after the superbowl and talked to Quinn some more. It's not like the Buffalo DC was going anywhere.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What the fuck has Quinn ever done that Nick Holt didn't also do?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

What the fuck has Quinn ever done that Nick Holt didn't also do?

Beat Peyton Manning and then popped off.

I actually agree that Quinn's a little too unproven for my tastes, but he's more proven than Holt. I'd probably strongly consider Quinn for a college gig, but no way I'd look at him for an NFL HC job.

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Apparently they didn't even seriously consider Dan Quinn. If they hired the fucking Buffalo DC they probably should have at least waited until after the superbowl and talked to Quinn some more. It's not like the Buffalo DC was going anywhere.

The conventional wisdom is that you don't wait until after the Super Bowl to make a hire, or else you risk falling behind the other teams in draft prep. Pretty retarded reasoning imo.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

The conventional wisdom is that you don't wait until after the Super Bowl to make a hire, or else you risk falling behind the other teams in draft prep. Pretty retarded reasoning imo.
    What's funny is that all the geniuses in the NFL still haven't figured out that it's player development that matters. Not how well you scouted a guy. The Seahawks aren't where they're at because of genius scouting. They got there by developing guys. They didn't watch Richard Sherman's tape and think "that guy could be the best corner in the NFL". They developed him. Give the players credit too for working hard but a lot of the same guys may have gone elsewhere and never done shit.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014

What's funny is that all the geniuses in the NFL still haven't figured out that it's player development that matters. Not how well you scouted a guy. The Seahawks aren't where they're at because of genius scouting. They got there by developing guys. They didn't watch Richard Sherman's tape and think "that guy could be the best corner in the NFL". They developed him. Give the players credit too for working hard but a lot of the same guys may have gone elsewhere and never done shit.
    It goes hand in hand. You have to draft the right guys, and you have to develop them. It's really not much different than college. You are right about the Seahawks not thinking Richard Sherman could be the best corner in the NFL, because if they did, they would have drafted him much earlier than the 5th round.

• Options

It goes hand in hand. You have to draft the right guys, and you have to develop them. It's really not much different than college. You are right about the Seahawks not thinking Richard Sherman could be the best corner in the NFL, because if they did, they would have drafted him much earlier than the 5th round.

That draft had James Carpenter in the first round, no second round pick(Thanks Whitehurst) and went Moffit in the third. Normally that is a fucking disaster of a draft.

Instead that draft probably deserves a B to a B+ as they go K.J. Wright in the 4th, Richard Sherman in the 5th, Byron Maxwell in the 6th and SB MVP Malcom Smith in the 7th.

Two corners late in the draft who have size and both are pretty damn good today.

Pete has also drafted Thurmond in the 4th and Jeremy Lane in the 6th as well as pick up Browner from the CFL. He specializes in corners as that is the position he personally spends the most time coaching and you can tell. That's not an accident at all.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

That draft had James Carpenter in the first round, no second round pick(Thanks Whitehurst) and went Moffit in the third. Normally that is a fucking disaster of a draft.

Instead that draft probably deserves a B to a B+ as they go K.J. Wright in the 4th, Richard Sherman in the 5th, Byron Maxwell in the 6th and SB MVP Malcom Smith in the 7th.

Two corners late in the draft who have size and both are pretty damn good today.

Pete has also drafted Thurmond in the 4th and Jeremy Lane in the 6th as well as pick up Browner from the CFL. He specializes in corners as that is the position he personally spends the most time coaching and you can tell. That's not an accident at all.
    I'd say a B+ at minimum. We're talking four starters on a Super Bowl champion, including the best corner in the game and a well above average LB. I'll take four starters out of the draft everytime. I know Maxwell and Smith haven't started much but I'd guess they'll be starters all year on the defending champs, baring injury.

It's pretty wild how much better this regime drafts once they get out of the first two rounds (other than the Earl Thomas pick).

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014
    I would honestly give it an A. They missed with the first and third round picks, but looking at the whole thing, it's an A. If it went Sherman in round one, Wright in two, Maxwell in three, Carpenter in four, Smith in five, Moffit in 6 (he sucked, but did start some games). I doubt more than one or two teams can even sniff that. Not to mention Baldwin as an UDFA.