Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How can Mr. Run The Damn Ball have a team come out so flat two weeks in a row?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club

Comments

• biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,093
    They are who we thought they are aka bad
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,473
    NO CHOCOLATE MILK!
  • JackDonakeyJackDonakey Member Posts: 42
    We are soft! We haven't looked good in any of our wins, other than Arizona.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,050 Standard Supporter
    edited December 2020
    They are just not good at stopping the run. Not particularly good at running it either. On offense I think it has more to do with scheme and predictability.

Anyways if you are bad at both of those things you are not good.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club
    Stanford is not going to turn the ball over three times in the second half. And that is the only way we can win the game.
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    Coaches have to have a ton of belief in themselves and their system. IMO sometimes it is easier for us to see that changes need to be made than for the coaches to see/admit it..

If you insist on a bend don't break wait for mistakes defense against a power running and efficient passing team that rarely makes mistakes, you have to take them out of their game. An explosive UW offense (sorry Baze) would put pressure on the Tree to pass and score/risk more. NOT running into the teeth of the defense in stubborn fashion when all five OL are new or in new positions.

Add in the high amount of losses on the DL to draft/injury, and suddenly the problems at LB become glaring. Basically this is a very talented, flawed team with a few major holes that will keep them from being elite. Unfortunately stubborn coaches appears to be one of them. Eh, but I'm probably wrong; what do I know.

TL;dr - UW vs Tree is The Definition Of Insanity, basically...
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club

Coaches have to have a ton of belief in themselves and their system. IMO sometimes it is easier for us to see that changes need to be made than for the coaches to see/admit it..

If you insist on a bend don't break wait for mistakes defense against a power running and efficient passing team that rarely makes mistakes, you have to take them out of their game. An explosive UW offense (sorry Baze) would put pressure on the Tree to pass and score/risk more. NOT running into the teeth of the defense in stubborn fashion when all five OL are new or in new positions.

Add in the high amount of losses on the DL to draft/injury, and suddenly the problems at LB become glaring. Basically this is a very talented, flawed team with a few major holes that will keep them from being elite. Unfortunately stubborn coaches appears to be one of them. Eh, but I'm probably wrong; what do I know.

If Pete was still the coach, we'd be sitting here right now blaming the lack of fight on Pete's constipated personality. But Lake's forte is supposed to be swagger and fire.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,050 Standard Supporter

If Pete was still the coach, we'd be sitting here right now blaming the lack of fight on Pete's constipated personality. But Lake's forte is supposed to be swagger and fire.
    It’s been since 2015 since Uw was dominated like this. I think jimmy wants this team to be something it’s not. Scheme matters.
  • CarlosDangerCarlosDanger Member Posts: 195
    Getting testosterone filled young men to play hard once a week is hard.
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000

I guess what I didn't make clear is IMO they're not flat. They're flawed. And frankly I think that is more damning than believing they are coming out flat.

So, no, I do not think "just play harder guys!" is the answer, and I rarely thought that about Petersen either. But we can agree to disagree, no biggie.

I guess what I didn't make clear is IMO they're not flat. They're flawed. And frankly I think that is more damning than believing they are coming out flat.

So, no, I do not think "just play harder guys!" is the answer, and I rarely thought that about Petersen either. But we can agree to disagree, no biggie.
    I'm not saying that's the only issue. But they are flat, flat, flat.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,397
    Stanford runs downhill, and plays downhill...arm tacklers need not apply...
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    Would a 4/3 defensive alignment be better suited as long as Bobby greggy still around?
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,718 Swaye's Wigwam
    animate said:

Would a 4/3 defensive alignment be better suited as long as Bobby greggy still around?

Run a 5-1-5 with Ulo as the only LB.

Or a 3-0-8 if we have 3 NTs
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,585 Founders Club
    not stopping the run, not enough qb pressure, too many special teams gaffes, secondary scheme issues or we're "young" there again and it's another pathetic doog excuse

main issues IMO

The playcalling isn't great, but it's not bad either

and Morris isn't the issue at the moment
  • coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,218
    Who does Jimmy hand out the first participation balls to?
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

animate said:

Run a 5-1-5 with Ulo as the only LB.

Or a 3-0-8 if we have 3 NTs
    Molden and Taylor should be down in the box on every play right next to Sirmon and Ulo helping them against a team like Stanford... and it should almost look like a 4-4 with Molden and Taylor always in the box.

Instead we ran a small DL and put only 6 guys in the box against 7+ Stanford run on nearly every fucking play...
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    the problem with our defensive "scheme" is that it relies on high-end defensive lineman to do the job of 1.5 players and high end edge players that are disciplined to seal edges and contain and also put pressure.

If we have the likes of Vita Vea and Gaines and outside like a 3rd year Smalls and ZTF/Tryon ... and BBK and Mason Foster/Donald Butler and our death row secondary then we would be awesome.

Our defensive front can contain and our secondary can overmatch.

But until the kids develop and everything comes together - then games against the likes of Stanford will tend to be like this.

Stanford is strong at the beginning, and fresh. They can ram it down our throats. Confidence takes a long time to build and it takes a long time for Stanford to lose confidence and UW to build ... and if it's a big deficit to overcome it's tough for college players and a questionable coaching staff.

There. That's my quick take.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,852
    34 for 117
    23 for 254

Pass the damn