Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Newton's Situation Explained, Sort Of — He Didn't Practice Well

2»

Comments

• HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Falls inline with what I said a week ago; "He looks a lot like a guy that didn’t improve himself during the off season and is now on the outside."

He hasn't seemed to work on the little things; blocking assignments, vision, catching out of the backfield, not turning his back into the tackle.

Newton could thrive in this offense, he has the baseline tools and the perfect mentality for it. IMO he walked into this season thinking he would be the default 20 carries a game RB.

Ill stick with my original prediction "Gut check (and rebound) or transfer incoming"
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,610
    I still like Newton though I wonder if he was hitting the weights enough in the off-season. Seems like he not only reduced fat but some muscle too.

It would be nice to have an elite RB again. Could Sam Adams be that guy next year?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    I like Newton better than I expected to, but I like all three of the other RBs better.

McGrew consistently runs the hardest and is the most likely to get something out of nothing. Davis looks like the best all around talent long term. Pleasant can be maddening at times, but the guy has about 30 lbs on Newton and moves piles better than him, plus has a lot more natural athleticism to make plays like that key 4th quarter catch and run vs Utah.

I assumed two of the top three would eventually take over most of the snaps leaving one out in the cold, and that Davis would keep getting his 3-5 touches no matter what. I expected Pleasant to be the odd man out, but his size, blocking, and versatility won out. If he starts putting a few more big runs on tape and shows his speed/power combo, he could actually end up in the NFL. Athletic, 230 backs that like to block and are good receivers tend to get noticed.

Dick Newt can wait for next year and his battle with Sunday to be the violent platoon guy. After finally giving in and watching Sunday's senior highlights, I'm not positive Newton can win that competition.