Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Favorite National Park you have visited

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Yellowstone - BRB, Old Faithful
    Of the ones I've been to I'd rank them roughly

Tier 1 - Wood go out of my way to go back anytime I had the opportunity
    Yellowstone
    Mount Rainier
    Arches
    Olympic
    Grand Teton
    Glacier

Tier 2 - Wood gladly visit again
    Grand Canyon (was mildly disappointing)
    Crater Lake
    Rocky Mountain
    North Cascades
    Great Smoky Mountain
    Badlands
    Wind Cave
    Mammoth Cave

Tier 3 - Glad I visited, wouldn't go out of my way to go back
    Gateway Arch
    Hot Springs
    Shenandoah

Incomplete - just barely been inside, not enough to have a real opinion
    Petrified Forest (really liked the little bit of the Painted Desert I saw)
    Mesa Verde
    Theodore Roosevelt
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Olympic - #TeamJacob or #TeamEdward?
    Been to Rayonier (obviously), Olympic, Grand Canyon, Glacier & Yellastone. And the Everglades.

If you want to see wildlife from the minute you get there until the minute you leave, Everglades is en fuego. It's great for that. And in its own weird way it can be beautiful.

Glacier was powerful and felt historic. Loved Lake McDonald and the Lodge. Would like to visit Many Glacier on the other side.

But something about ONP ... part of it is that I grew up around it, and the other part of it is the combo of amazing wilderness, yuge fucking trees, alpine, and coast all in one park. It's also isolated out there on the peninsula and, IDK, just a fucking beautiful place.

Yellastone was cool too. Some unique shit there.

I agree with the PBS tag line: America's best idea.

Been to Rayonier (obviously), Olympic, Grand Canyon, Glacier & Yellastone. And the Everglades.

If you want to see wildlife from the minute you get there until the minute you leave, Everglades is en fuego. It's great for that. And in its own weird way it can be beautiful.

Glacier was powerful and felt historic. Loved Lake McDonald and the Lodge. Would like to visit Many Glacier on the other side.

But something about ONP ... part of it is that I grew up around it, and the other part of it is the combo of amazing wilderness, yuge fucking trees, alpine, and coast all in one park. It's also isolated out there on the peninsula and, IDK, just a fucking beautiful place.

I'm going to Everglades (and Biscayne and Dry Tortugas) with my dad and oldest kiddos in June. Really pumped for this . Wifey and I did like a thirty minute airboat excursion in the glades when we got off our honeymoon cruise out of Miami but didn't get into the park at all. Will see much more this tim around. Any recommendations in the Everglades area?
    edited December 2020
    dflea said:

dnc said:

Torn between Rainier and Olympic. Haven't been to many others. Glacier like 30 years ago, and Rocky Mtn a few years ago. Rocky Mtn is cool, but North Cascades just at Artist Point alone puts it to shame. Have been meaning to do the Utah ones, have a friend who works at Zi-uhn. Need to do the California ones too. Crater Lake is cool.

The only reason I can't rank North Cascades higher is because the dams changed up so much of the scenery and I like the illusion of virginity in my NP's. There aren't many views that compare to Shuksan though. And North Cascades should definitely annex Baker.

Highly underrated views.
    I agree. That's why Olympic is so awesome. One ridge in from either side, and your ass is in the sticks. Very little of the park is accessible by car, so you don't see too many people - just animals and wilderness. When I was younger, my buddy and I walked in at Brinnon on the Hood Canal side, and walked out a week later at the Queets River on the ocean side. We saw people here and there, but never up close. It was one of the cooler trips I've ever been on.

I'd like to do that hike again. I'd like to be 25 again, too.

I did that hike from the Elwha to the North Fork of the Quinault (of course). Long ass trudge. What is that? 35+ miles? Whatever it was, I learned then: it's quality, not quantity. And we did it in like 3 days. I would say be strategic about exactly what you want to see in ONP and take the most direct route, get there, take your tim and enjoy it. Traversing the whole park in 3 days just ate me up, and I that was when I was younger and in better shape.

Correct. You walk a mile into that park from any direction and you are on your own.

dnc said:

I'm going to Everglades (and Biscayne and Dry Tortugas) with my dad and oldest kiddos in June. Really pumped for this . Wifey and I did like a thirty minute airboat excursion in the glades when we got off our honeymoon cruise out of Miami but didn't get into the park at all. Will see much more this tim around. Any recommendations in the Everglades area?
    None. I was a kid last tim I went in there on purpose at the age where you don't pay attention to how you get anywhere. As big as it is, I don't think there's a ton of variation by region.

dnc said:

None. I was a kid last tim I went in there on purpose at the age where you don't pay attention to how you get anywhere. As big as it is, I don't think there's a ton of variation by region.
    tyfys

I worked at Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone National Park for two summers in college and it was an incredible experience, really glad I did it instead of doing bullshit internships. It was a very eclectic mix of people who worked there, college students, hippies who worked seasonal jobs year round, retirees who just wanted an excuse to explore the parks, and people on their last chance who were running from something and minimum wage cafeteria work was all they could get. I once drove a guy out of the park who got fired who wore the same Arkansas Razorback sweatsuit everyday, he claimed he played there and was also in the Special Forces, both of which I doubt, he was also a raging alcoholic whose teeth were completely rotted and drank two pints of Black Velvet on the drive and by the time I dropped him off in Gardner Montana he was telling me he was the Devil and didn’t have any money and didn’t know what to do, no idea what happened to him but it was an interesting experience.

The Park itself is amazing, by being there two summers I got to really explore the Park and see the stuff you don’t get to see if your just hitting up Old Faithful and such. Would work 4 days a week, and then go backpacking and fly fishing and drink a lot of beer the other three with my brother, great memories. When I would get bored after work I would just walk around the Canyon and waterfalls, very cool to have as my back yard. I did almost get killed by a female elk who I legit almost ran into on a run and I got charged by a bear who broke off hiking once, but after I shit myself I looked back on those memories fondly.

Are the rumors of the dope log cabin employee basketball gyms real?
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

I worked at Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone National Park for two summers in college and it was an incredible experience, really glad I did it instead of doing bullshit internships. It was a very eclectic mix of people who worked there, college students, hippies who worked seasonal jobs year round, retirees who just wanted an excuse to explore the parks, and people on their last chance who were running from something and minimum wage cafeteria work was all they could get. I once drove a guy out of the park who got fired who wore the same Arkansas Razorback sweatsuit everyday, he claimed he played there and was also in the Special Forces, both of which I doubt, he was also a raging alcoholic whose teeth were completely rotted and drank two pints of Black Velvet on the drive and by the time I dropped him off in Gardner Montana he was telling me he was the Devil and didn’t have any money and didn’t know what to do, no idea what happened to him but it was an interesting experience.

The Park itself is amazing, by being there two summers I got to really explore the Park and see the stuff you don’t get to see if your just hitting up Old Faithful and such. Would work 4 days a week, and then go backpacking and fly fishing and drink a lot of beer the other three with my brother, great memories. When I would get bored after work I would just walk around the Canyon and waterfalls, very cool to have as my back yard. I did almost get killed by a female elk who I legit almost ran into on a run and I got charged by a bear who broke off hiking once, but after I shit myself I looked back on those memories fondly.

Canyon had an outdoor cement court back by the employee dorms, I can’t speak for the other parts of the park, I never heard that rumor before but doesn’t mean it’s not true.

dnc said:

Canyon had an outdoor cement court back by the employee dorms, I can’t speak for the other parts of the park, I never heard that rumor before but doesn’t mean it’s not true.

• Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Ah, judging by the building I guess that was either Old Faithful or the Lake, the employee facilities there were supposedly much nicer than Canyon.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,958
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Other

dnc said:

Angels landing at Zion is my favorite hike of any.

Arches is the most unique of any imo. Crazy rock formations and a lot of them look like huge dildos which is always fun.

Grand Teton though is my favorite in the country because of the mountains, lakes and wildlife. Seeing moose and grizzlies up close is awesome.

I've seen moose pretty close at Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Never seen a grizz in the wild. How close/scared were you? Were you strapped?
    Grizzlies scare the shit out of me. 2 were in the meadow across from Jenny lake turn off. Saw them safely from the road.
    They should.
    Tell that to the Asians with cameras. I know my place.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I once almost froze to death at glacier. Got in my buddy’s truck last minute to go to Glacier. Didn’t even pack a bag. Ate shrooms. Went on a journey with a friend. It got dark. We couldn’t find our way back to the tent/truck. Never been so fucking cold in my life. The thought of being eaten by a wild animal crossed my mind while coming down off the shrooms.

Great place tho. Went back a few times after that a little more prepared and loved it.

Shroom stories are always awesome. Glad you survived.