Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite National Park you have visited

Comments

• Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Olympic - #TeamJacob or #TeamEdward?

whlinder said:

dnc said:

whlinder said:

Shenandoah!!! VOOG? It up!

This is something I need to do more of but work takes me internationally usually and the family aren’t the biggest outdoor fans. It’s been decades since I’ve seen one other than Shenandoah. Out of Crater Lake, Rainier and Olympic I would probably rank Olympic 1, Crater Lake 2 and Rainier 3.

We did Skyline Drove back in August. It was cool but nothing made me say “I have to come back”
    Agree, it’s nothing special if you’ve been out west. If you’ve only been in the East it’s more special than 2023 will be. Much nicer in the fall too when the leaves turn and you get different sunlight angles.
    In Oklahoma someone would mention Mt. Something and I'd look around and go where?

Right there!

That's a hill mate and barely that
    You should have seen what they tried passing off as 'Crystal Mountain' when I was back in Michigan. In these parts it would be another hill that didn't stand out from all the others enough to get named. They'd have a ski resort on Graham Hill for sure if it was back there.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,075
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mt Rainier - DoogItUp.gif
    Torn between Rainier and Olympic. Haven't been to many others. Glacier like 30 years ago, and Rocky Mtn a few years ago. Rocky Mtn is cool, but North Cascades just at Artist Point alone puts it to shame. Have been meaning to do the Utah ones, have a friend who works at Zi-uhn. Need to do the California ones too. Crater Lake is cool.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Torn between Rainier and Olympic. Haven't been to many others. Glacier like 30 years ago, and Rocky Mtn a few years ago. Rocky Mtn is cool, but North Cascades just at Artist Point alone puts it to shame. Have been meaning to do the Utah ones, have a friend who works at Zi-uhn. Need to do the California ones too. Crater Lake is cool.

The only reason I can't rank North Cascades higher is because the dams changed up so much of the scenery and I like the illusion of virginity in my NP's. There aren't many views that compare to Shuksan though. And North Cascades should definitely annex Baker.

Highly underrated views.
    I agree, but also like that I don't have to pay park dues to go to Baker or Diablo for that matter. Diablo Lake is pretty cool, with the color. Growing up did a 50 mile canoe trip on Diablo and Ross lake and still ranks high as best weeks of my life. I think Liberty Bell / Early Winter Spires is just inside the park as well. Also: Why do you hate cheap electricity!

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Yellowstone - BRB, Old Faithful

dnc said:

The only reason I can't rank North Cascades higher is because the dams changed up so much of the scenery and I like the illusion of virginity in my NP's. There aren't many views that compare to Shuksan though. And North Cascades should definitely annex Baker.

Highly underrated views.
    I agree, but also like that I don't have to pay park dues to go to Baker or Diablo for that matter. Diablo Lake is pretty cool, with the color. Growing up did a 50 mile canoe trip on Diablo and Ross lake and still ranks high as best weeks of my life. I think Liberty Bell / Early Winter Spires is just inside the park as well. Also: Why do you hate cheap electricity!

I believe Liberty Bell is inside the park's east side IIRC.

That canoe trip sounds amazing. Best time I've ever had on the water is a couple of full day white water rafting trips on the Arkansas in Colorado. North Cascades scenery would plunger that.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Olympic - #TeamJacob or #TeamEdward?
    dnc said:

Highly underrated views.
    I agree. That's why Olympic is so awesome. One ridge in from either side, and your ass is in the sticks. Very little of the park is accessible by car, so you don't see too many people - just animals and wilderness. When I was younger, my buddy and I walked in at Brinnon on the Hood Canal side, and walked out a week later at the Queets River on the ocean side. We saw people here and there, but never up close. It was one of the cooler trips I've ever been on.

I'd like to do that hike again. I'd like to be 25 again, too.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Highly underrated views.

That canoe trip sounds amazing. Best time I've ever had on the water is a couple of full day white water rafting trips on the Arkansas in Colorado. North Cascades scenery would plunger that.
    Canoe trip was. Scout troop 20 12-16 year old guys, finding cliffs, and bridges to jump off, playing grab ass, sharing tents with scoutmasters. Views of Jack, Hozemeen and Spickard Mountains. Swimming, living off of trail mix, tang, and instant pudding.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

Highly underrated views.

Canoe trip was. Scout troop 20 12-16 year old guys, finding cliffs, and bridges to jump off, playing grab ass, sharing tents with scoutmasters. Views of Jack, Hozemeen and Spickard Mountains. Swimming, living off of trail mix, tang, and instant pudding.
    Nice of you to give back to the teen boys in the community like that

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,541
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One time at Yellowstone I rented a small Honda because I was cutting through and was towing another vehicle - did not want to disconnect everything for 3 days of driving around with the Mrs 2 and 2 little whippers.

Got into the park and Steamboat? Geyser blew for the first time in months, and it had been just recently that it became active. Beautiful geyser put Old Faithful to shame. Got back to the rental car and it was coated in geyser slime. It was number 1 rough grit - you could see the paint dissolving. I got a bucket from some ranger and poured water down the windshield. It helped a little bit but damn it looked like the glass had been etched.

Took the car back and told them sorry about that - I got geysered on. The only time I ever paid for that expensive full coverage insurance that paid off.

Had to go to another car rental for the next two days.
    CSB

Most of the time when I go to National Parks I would take the kids out of school - always tried to time it when schools were back in so less people. That is a good list @dnc
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Highly underrated views.

Nice of you to give back to the teen boys in the community like that

My scoutmasters weren't before the trip but they were questioning after.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club
    Other
    Hautes-Pyrénées

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club
    Other
    Mt Blanc -- Chamonix

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Other
    Angels landing at Zion is my favorite hike of any.

Arches is the most unique of any imo. Crazy rock formations and a lot of them look like huge dildos which is always fun.

Grand Teton though is my favorite in the country because of the mountains, lakes and wildlife. Seeing moose and grizzlies up close is awesome.
  • Options

Arches is the most unique of any imo. Crazy rock formations and a lot of them look like huge dildos which is always fun.

Grand Teton though is my favorite in the country because of the mountains, lakes and wildlife. Seeing moose and grizzlies up close is awesome.

I've seen moose pretty close at Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Never seen a grizz in the wild. How close/scared were you? Were you strapped?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2020
    Other
    dnc said:

I've seen moose pretty close at Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Never seen a grizz in the wild. How close/scared were you? Were you strapped?
    Grizzlies scare the shit out of me. 2 were in the meadow across from Jenny lake turn off. Saw them safely from the road.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    dnc said:

I’m a fan of the Smokey Mountains for it’s combination of hiking, history and freeness. The abandoned hillbilly farms are cool and Gaitlinburg and Asheville are cool drinking towns.

Redwood is the best on the West Coast.

Voyageurs is probably the most underrated one and also the one that takes the biggest physical toll on your body portaging canoes from lake to lake.

Good chit on Voyageurs. Looking forward to it and Isle Royale.

I’ve been to the smokies more than any of them. Gatlinburg and Asheville are very cool in different ways and GSMNP is pretty but they just can’t compare to the mountains out west for me. I know it’s not fair to compare them but it’s hard not to. Shenandoah is similar but a full step down.
    The thing I dig about the Smokies is how non-Western it is. But I like most things Southern. Plus, I've timed it to pump gas for the Ford Bronco fest there a couple of times.

The key for Voyageurs (and I'd imagine Isle Royale, though I've only made it to Marquette in extreme Northern Michigan and not the three-day dinghy to the park) is timing it so there's enough night sky to see the Aurora Borealis but it's also not Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald weather. May or September, really.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Least favorite park was probably Shenandoah. Drive an hour west into WV and the scenery is much better.
  • Options

Least favorite park was probably Shenandoah. Drive an hour west into WV and the scenery is much better.

Yeah I think Shenandoah is at the bottom of my list as well, just below Hot Springs and Gateway Arch which got an undeserved promotion to NP status.