Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Great comebacks

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club
1981. Washington 27, Cal 26 (The Comeback, Part I).

Cal led 21-0 in the third quarter at home. Washington then scored 17 points in a matter of minutes thanks to two Cal fumbles on their own 12 and 25 yard lines. Then Cal got fortune from a safety to extend their lead, only to immediately give up another Husky touchdown, completing a 24-2 run in just under a quarter. Both teams then exchanged field goals, with Washington kicking the game-winning field goal with 11

Washington went onto win the Pac-10 and the Rose Bowl. Cal finished 2-9.

1988. Washington 28, Cal 27 (The Comeback, Part II).

Cal led 27-3 with 263 yards on offense at halftime, then got outscored 25-0 in the final 25 minutes. Washington would score on four of its six drives and Cal would have trouble crossing midfield. The Huskies hit the game-winning field goal as time expired to complete the greatest comeback in Washington football history.

The most confusing part of this game. Washington went for two to cut it to 27-11 (correct), then kicked a regular extra point to cut it to 27-18 (why). Washington would’ve only needed two scores if the touchdown converted! Why did football genius Don James do that? What was the thought process here? So many questions.

Washington finished 6-5. Cal finished 5-5-1, but only one Pac-10 conference win.

PASADENA, Calif. -- Greg Lewis' 10-yard run with 1:02 remaining in the 4th quarter brought the Washington Huskies from a 21-point deficit Saturday to defeat the UCLA Bruins, 28-27.

Husky place-kicker John McCallum put the winning point on the board when he successfully kicked the conversion point following Lewis' touchdown.

https://upi.com/Archives/1989/10/28/Washington-28-UCLA-27/3573625550400/

Winners win. Better to learn a lesson in victory than defeat. Better to win the second half than the first. Better to FINISH than to not

Jimmy 3.0 baby

Comments

• backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    edited November 2020
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,377 Founders Club

I'm relieved to hear that Don James wasn't immune from the occasional trip-over-your-own-dick decisions. Last night's delay of game penalty instead of taking a timeout was so wildly incompetent I briefly considered that Jimmy may not have the fast-paced aptitude to survive in this game. But maybe that's just it. In a sport that is high-intensity and high-pressure, even the best coaches are bound to turn into complete momentary retards from time to time.

Don James was not perfect in gameday situations. I wonder what things would have looked like if there was social media and message boards back then. How would we have reacted to the way some games were called. We would have wanted him fired multiple times.

I still remember the 1990 Colorado game, where the Huskies were inside the Colorado 10 and went with 4 straight pass attempts to try to score the a game-winning touchdown. That was a head-scratcher, especially since the Huskies had a good running game. The other game that sticks out for me was the 1992 "Snow Bowl" Apple Cup. They kept trying to run the ball with Kaufman, but it was hard for him to make his cuts and turn the corner around the end. The Huskies were having success running the ball up the gut with Darius Turner. They decided to abandon this and to this day I don't know why. I remember talking to some cuog frens back then and they wondered the same thing.

Either Gaspard or Bailey dropped a perfect pass in the end zone that would have beat Colorado
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,703 Founders Club

I remember an article in the Seattle Tims before the 1988 Cal game about a senior Cal linebacker (I think his name was Ortega) who was sick of losing to the Huskies and how he wanted to silence the siren. Didn't work out too well for him in the second half of that game.

I remember that UCLA game also. I'm not sure if it was televised, but at the very least I was listening on the radio. I couldn't stand them, because they had our? number and I thought they got the calls from the wefs when they played in Seattle with Aikman and beat the Huskies. Anyway, I held a high level of contempt for the Bruins, especially after the 1990 debacle and then the whole JJ Stokes game against puppy's beloved Lambo.

Sounds like you cared
    I did.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,703 Founders Club

I'm relieved to hear that Don James wasn't immune from the occasional trip-over-your-own-dick decisions. Last night's delay of game penalty instead of taking a timeout was so wildly incompetent I briefly considered that Jimmy may not have the fast-paced aptitude to survive in this game. But maybe that's just it. In a sport that is high-intensity and high-pressure, even the best coaches are bound to turn into complete momentary retards from time to time.

Don James was not perfect in gameday situations. I wonder what things would have looked like if there was social media and message boards back then. How would we have reacted to the way some games were called. We would have wanted him fired multiple times.

I still remember the 1990 Colorado game, where the Huskies were inside the Colorado 10 and went with 4 straight pass attempts to try to score the a game-winning touchdown. That was a head-scratcher, especially since the Huskies had a good running game. The other game that sticks out for me was the 1992 "Snow Bowl" Apple Cup. They kept trying to run the ball with Kaufman, but it was hard for him to make his cuts and turn the corner around the end. The Huskies were having success running the ball up the gut with Darius Turner. They decided to abandon this and to this day I don't know why. I remember talking to some cuog frens back then and they wondered the same thing.

Either Gaspard or Bailey dropped a perfect pass in the end zone that would have beat Colorado
    Yeah, but still.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,902 Founders Club

That game is my earliest memory of football play calling frustration.

There may have been earlier moments but I probably wasn’t as invested in UW football yet.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter
    The Curtis Williams game was at Stanford and wasn’t shown on TV anywhere in Seattle. That was a great last second comeback.

A year later, in the last game before 9-11, we were down 12-6 to Michigan in the 4th when they lined up for a short FG. Instead of down 2 scores we blocked it and returned for a TD and the lead. After the kickoff we picked 6 to go up by 8. I can’t recall a similar swing, from nearly going down 2 scores to going up by 8 in the fourth. We kicked another FG to put the game away before Mich scored a meaningless TD.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,792 Founders Club
    whlinder said:

The Curtis Williams game was at Stanford and wasn’t shown on TV anywhere in Seattle. That was a great last second comeback.

A year later, in the last game before 9-11, we were down 12-6 to Michigan in the 4th when they lined up for a short FG. Instead of down 2 scores we blocked it and returned for a TD and the lead. After the kickoff we picked 6 to go up by 8. I can’t recall a similar swing, from nearly going down 2 scores to going up by 8 in the fourth. We kicked another FG to put the game away before Mich scored a meaningless TD.

I'm think I remember watching that Stanford game on Prime Sports NW. It's possible I listened on the radio and watched the game on replay as I was young and drunk a lot but I'm pretty sure I watched it live.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I remember an article in the Seattle Tims before the 1988 Cal game about a senior Cal linebacker (I think his name was Ortega) who was sick of losing to the Huskies and how he wanted to silence the siren. Didn't work out too well for him in the second half of that game.

I remember that UCLA game also. I'm not sure if it was televised, but at the very least I was listening on the radio. I couldn't stand them, because they had our? number and I thought they got the calls from the wefs when they played in Seattle with Aikman and beat the Huskies. Anyway, I held a high level of contempt for the Bruins, especially after the 1990 debacle and then the whole JJ Stokes game against puppy's beloved Lambo.

It was on TV. I had been watching games for a couple years by then but that is one of the first games I have clear specific memories of watching. I knew beating Jon Don's Uncle in Pasadena was a BFD. IFL'ed Greg Lewis.