Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Controlled study from Denmark; masks don’t work

Comments

• WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,012 Standard Supporter
    The only way the masks work is if the chicom crud carrier is coughing or sneezing in public. The actual droplets containing the virus will largely remain contained. But the aerosol virus will still be emitted into the space. A properly fitted and clean N95 mask will provide some protection for the user. But you don't see many N95 masks and they aren't mandated because they are expensive and need to be replaced or cleaned daily and there are billions of these things available. So like in March when Fow Chee said masks don't work he now says he was lying because he wanted the mask available for health workers. That's still true today. If masks worked then we would have any more chicom crud.

You would have better protection if the governors were promoting Vitamin D and zinc. But better protection isn't the priority.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,537 Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

No statistically significant benefit to wearing them.

This can't be true, didn't the head of the CDC tell us that masks are more effective than even vaccines?
    He did. But then he didn't. But then he did again.

Fow Flip Flop Chee

• SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942

SFGbob said:

No statistically significant benefit to wearing them.

This can't be true, didn't the head of the CDC tell us that masks are more effective than even vaccines?
    He did. But then he didn't. But then he did again.

Fow Flip Flop Chee

Listen to the scientists.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    edited November 2020
    Limitation:
    Inconclusive results, missing data, variable adherence, patient-reported findings on home tests, no blinding, and no assessment of whether masks could decrease disease transmission from mask wearers to others.

Conclusion:
    The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.

Takeaway seems to be that wearing a mask in an environment where other people are not wearing masks only gives you a statistically insignificant reduction in transmission risk. I think that more or less gels with the conventional wisdom circulating - wearing a mask doesn't do much to protect yourself, but they are a lot more effective in preventing you from spreading the disease to someone else. Obviously the study didn't explore the latter.
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 20,358

It's ironic in a Alanis Morissette sort of way that people here on the Tug have a better grasp of the chicom crud than blue state governors and there supposed health advisors. Giving them the benefit of the doubt only means that they are fascists. I generally think both are true, ignorant and fascist. It's like having the dazzler run your state and country.

South Dakota beckons. Don't hesitate.

Limitation:
    Inconclusive results, missing data, variable adherence, patient-reported findings on home tests, no blinding, and no assessment of whether masks could decrease disease transmission from mask wearers to others.

Conclusion:
    The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.

Takeaway seems to be that wearing a mask in an environment where other people are not wearing masks only gives you a statistically insignificant reduction in transmission risk. I think that more or less gels with the conventional wisdom circulating - wearing a mask doesn't do much to protect yourself, but they are a lot more effective in preventing you from spreading the disease to someone else. Obviously the study didn't explore the latter.

So, who is out coughing in public? I go everywhere, gyms, restaurants and bars and shopping almost every day. I don't hear anyone coughing or sneezing. If I did, I'd get away from them. If masks worked, then we would have the chicom crud beat. What we do know is if you don't have a job then housing and food are a real problem. The hypocrisy of public school teachers saying they are afraid to teach and being rewarded by dems who are owned by the teachers unions but then going out to shop and eat at restaurants is staggering.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,958
    That disappointing part of that isn't the mask part, but the social distancing part. There is at least an implication that social distancing works.

If I had my druthers, I'd rather they conclude masks work and social distancing doesn't matter. Much easier.
    edited November 2020

It's ironic in a Alanis Morissette sort of way that people here on the Tug have a better grasp of the chicom crud than blue state governors and there supposed health advisors. Giving them the benefit of the doubt only means that they are fascists. I generally think both are true, ignorant and fascist. It's like having the dazzler run your state and country.

Downvoted for the Alanis Morissette reference.
    Especially without pics of her juggies. Pretty nice 90’s set of cans.

That disappointing part of that isn't the mask part, but the social distancing part. There is at least an implication that social distancing works.

If I had my druthers, I'd rather they conclude masks work and social distancing doesn't matter. Much easier.

I'm the opposite. I hate wearing a mask and people

We dropped Christmas when the kids grew up and our niece flew the coup. Thanksgiving is a distant memory unless the son comes down which he can't this year but still

But I am tempted to go out and find 20 people off the street for Thanksgiving this year
    Visions of Frank Gallagher danced through me head.
    You think that Cali or Oregon has banned indoor dining for organizations that feed the homeless? Just call your Thanksgiving feast a free dinner for the homeless and voila - no worry about spreading the chicom crud. Just like a BLM riot.
  • YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 541

Limitation:

Conclusion:

So, who is out coughing in public? I go everywhere, gyms, restaurants and bars and shopping almost every day. I don't hear anyone coughing or sneezing. If I did, I'd get away from them. If masks worked, then we would have the chicom crud beat. What we do know is if you don't have a job then housing and food are a real problem. The hypocrisy of public school teachers saying they are afraid to teach and being rewarded by dems who are owned by the teachers unions but then going out to shop and eat at restaurants is staggering.
    This ... Our local District someone brought that up on the school board meeting .... Crickets...
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024
    edited November 2020
    Poast from a real doctor:

Twitter is a buzz with a Danish mask study saying "masks don't work", ignoring 40+ other studies showing they help and ignoring that the study is fucking hot garbage (46% of people in mask treatment didn't always wear masks and the vast majority of infections were diagnosed via serum antibody studies when Denmark had an incredibly low prevalence, meaning most of the infections in the study were false positives anyways. In terms of PCR diagnosed cases, there were 0 in the mask group and 5 in the control group... out of 4800 total patients... yea low incidence indeed).

Certainly masks aren't 100% effective nor are they our best option, but they've clearly been shown to help lower R rate and slow outbreaks.

Virologist response:

ugh, fuck this shit. how does it get published?

Doctor reply:

NEJM, JAMA and BMJ rejected it. Annals is usually really good. It definitely gets attention and eye balls on your journal.

It's good to know from an epidemiology stand point that masks probably don't do any good when local cases are low and community spread is minimal, and this is good data supporting that.

OF COURSE, it will be misinterpreted by chuds who are scientifically illiterate, but it's still a relevant data point in this specific regard. (although it's a shitty data point of a low quality study).