Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Show your support for what this community means to you:
Choose a Donation Amount
Username
(required for credit)
Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jack Nicholson's Greatest Role?

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Posts: 26,218
    10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 25000 Comments Seventh Anniversary
    edited November 18
    Jake Gittes - Chinatown
    A lot of tough choices. One of my favorite actors for sure. I’ve seen all of them but Carnal Knowledge.
    YellowSnowCFetters_Nacho_LoverFishpo31
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Posts: 26,218
    10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 25000 Comments Seventh Anniversary
    Jake Gittes - Chinatown

Easy Rider was funny and Five Easy Pieces showed he could act but One Flew Over changed America. And we are still trying to decide if it was for the better or not

I know Easy Rider is considered a classic, but it wasn’t that great. I watched it 3 times in a year to see what I was missing, but I never loved it.
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverGrundleStiltzkin
  • alumni94 said:

Did he die or something?

I've seen one of those movies.

Only one. Wow. What are you 10 year old?

39. My favorite movie is The Waterboy and I watch maybe, without exaggeration, one movie that's new to me a year. You are not talking to a man of the arts.
    YellowSnow1to392831weretakenGrundleStiltzkin
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Posts: 62,622
    Swaye's Wigwam 50000 Comments 10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes
    Randle Patrick McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

Easy Rider was funny and Five Easy Pieces showed he could act but One Flew Over changed America. And we are still trying to decide if it was for the better or not

I know Easy Rider is considered a classic, but it wasn’t that great. I watched it 3 times in a year to see what I was missing, but I never loved it.
    You had to be there
    RoadDawg55
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Posts: 22,395
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 10000 Comments
    Jack Torrance - The Shinning

You had to be there
    I wasn’t there. But I still do the Jack arm twitch after a slug of cheap bourbon.
    CFetters_Nacho_Lover
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Posts: 146
    100 Comments 100 Awesomes 25 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited November 18
    F.O Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
    Tequilla said:

His performance of The Joker was such a great mix of humor and darkness ... his version vs Heath Ledger is like 1A/1B as it's basically impossible to imagine a performance in the future that will top these

A gross omission to me is not including his portrayal of Melvin Udell in As Good As It Gets:

One of his top 5 films. This is the scene when he throws the neighbor's dog down the garbage shoot.

Tequilla

Swaye
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Posts: 24,393
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes 10000 Comments

A lot of tough choices. One of my favorite actors for sure. I’ve seen all of them but Carnal Knowledge.

There was some fine, fine women who liked to disrobe in that flick. Jack was a busy boy.

A staple on early HBO.

YellowSnow
  • alumni94alumni94 Posts: 1,996
    1,500 Awesomes Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Up Votes 250 Answers

You had to be there
    I wasn’t there. But I still do the Jack arm twitch after a slug of cheap bourbon.
    I do the same, but end with "firecracker". I think he said that later in the movie.
    YellowSnow
  • chuckchuck Posts: 4,478
    Standard Supporter 5,000 Awesomes 5,000 Up Votes Seventh Anniversary
    It might be a little chick flick-ish, but he was really good in As Good As It Gets. After that probably A Few Good Men.

From the list I'd probably go with The Shining, but really there are multiple top choices. We just watched Cuckoos nest a couple of weeks ago. It's great, but as usual I was annoyed by some unnecessary departures from the book. Whatever...I always struggle with getting past that when I've read a book that was also a hit movie.
    YellowSnowFishpo31
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Posts: 5,294
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 5,000 Up Votes 5000 Comments
    Col. Jessup - A Few Good Men
    An underrated one IMO...

chuck
  • Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Posts: 3,583
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 5,000 Up Votes 2500 Comments
    Watched The Passenger recently, pretty great

Guilty pleasure

It's a decent flick. Kay bugs the shit out of me most of the time, however.
    Tequilla
    She peaked in Annie Hall
    DawgsCanDance
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Posts: 5,294
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 5,000 Up Votes 5000 Comments
    Col. Jessup - A Few Good Men

She peaked in Annie Hall

I love Diane Keaton. But I get what you’re saying...she’s kinda like an older version of Jennifer Aniston now. Very likable and in a bunch of fluff RomComs.

There was some fine, fine women who liked to disrobe in that flick. Jack was a busy boy.

A staple on early HBO.

I'm gonna come right out and say it - and I mean no disrespect to @Doog_de_Jour - young Candice Bergen was the most beautiful actress of the 1960s and early 70s.

• Col. Jessup - A Few Good Men

YellowSnow

I love the parent trap dad as TR in that flick. Sean Connery as @PurpleBaze is pretty funny.
    GrundleStiltzkinPurpleBazeDoog_de_Jour1to392831weretaken