Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Biggest Seattle sporting events in my lifetime

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,245
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
1978 Rose Bowl UW-Michigan
1979 NBA Finals Game 5 Sonics vs. Bullets
1979 UW-USC
1981 UW-USC
1983 AFC Championship Seahawks vs. Raiders
1985 Orange Bowl UW vs. Oklahoma
1990 UW-USC
1992 Rose Bowl UW vs. Michigan
1995 MLB Playoffs Game 5 Mariners vs. Yankees
1996 NBA Finals Sonics vs. Bulls
2000 UW vs. Miami
2006 Super Bowl Seahawks vs. Steelers
2013 NFC Championship Seahawks vs. 49ers

Comments

• Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

What, no room on that list for the Sounders friendly with ManU? Scarftards had the joint rockin'.

Fetters is not going to be happy...
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    Founders Club

I'm surprised DJ didn't mention the championships that the Storm won.

I'm right here
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Those UW regular season games don't fit on the list at all.
  • Options
    Founders Club

It's my list
  • Options
    Founders Club
    @TierbsHostBoobs you should make a list of Seattle Fucking Dreckfests in your lifetime
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    +1 on the one game playoff

Game 7 in 1978 might be the most important game ever in the city.

The 1984 Seahawks never get any love, but RaiderBuster Monday is probably the biggest regular season game in team history, and the 1984 Wild Card against the defending champs was amazing. Still the loudest sporting event I have ever attended. #DrDanFromWapato #DomeLouderThanClink.

And I know there are a lot of hipsters on this bored who think it is important to care enough about soccer to tell people they don't like soccer, but the '77 Soccer Bowl against Pele and Beckenbauer needs to be near the top of the list. Seattle sports in 77 were much different than in 79, and the Sounders started that.

The three Final Fours were big, but none involved a Seattle team.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Yeah, personally I'd leave off the 2000 Miami game. I don't remember a lot of hype and buildup to it. We came in ranked about 15th.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    I know you are being sarcastic but those Rosebowls didn't take place in Seattle.
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Yeah, personally I'd leave off the 2000 Miami game. I don't remember a lot of hype and buildup to it. We came in ranked about 15th.
    Our eventual Rose Bowl trophy, Marques, and Triplett disagree.

Ken Dorsey might also disagree seeing as it was one of about 3 total college losses.

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1980 Seatlle Seafair hydroplane races. Bill Muncey wins his 4th straight title in the Atlas Van Lines boat
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited January 2014

Doesn't say anything about buildup. Games and experiences can be considered watershed after the fact. I hate pulling this card, but "if you were there," you probably understand why DJ has that game on his list. I grew up in Texas and didn't know a thing about UW football (other than 91) until I started attending college there in '99. I'd been to lot of big games in Texas, the south, etc growing up, but the electricity at that 2000 Miami game still might be the most I've ever felt. It was like a 747 landing on your head for 3 hours. It really was a special game considering Miami's streak, the mind boggling amount of talent on the field, and about 100 other reasons.

Doesn't say anything about buildup. Games and experiences can be considered watershed after the fact. I hate pulling this card, but "if you were there," you probably understand why DJ has that game on his list. I grew up in Texas and didn't know a thing about UW football (other than 91) until I started attending college there in '99. I'd been to lot of big games in Texas, the south, etc growing up, but the electricity at that 2000 Miami game still might be the most I've ever felt. It was like a 747 landing on your head for 3 hours. It really was a special game considering Miami's streak, the mind boggling amount of talent on the field, and about 100 other reasons.
    You could say that about several games like the '92 Nebraska game, the '91 N game, the '86 TOSU game, or even the '09 USC game and '99 Stanfraud game. There's no doubt that Miami team was loaded, but a lot of them were fairly young and they were still coming into their own. I'll admit that I couldn't watch it live so maybe I missed out (I have seen parts of it on Youtube and replays).

Getting absolutely destroyed by them a yr later took a bunch of the luster off too. It was like 65 to 7, and in my opinion, that game along with the Oregon State and UCLA, were the preludes to the 2004-2008 shitshow.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 2014

and in my opinion, that game along with the Oregon State and UCLA, were the preludes to the 2004-2008 shitshow.
    The shitshow actually ran from 2003-2013, truth be told.

HTH
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

You could say that about several games like the '92 Nebraska game, the '91 N game, the '86 TOSU game, or even the '09 USC game and '99 Stanfraud game. There's no doubt that Miami team was loaded, but a lot of them were fairly young and they were still coming into their own. I'll admit that I couldn't watch it live so maybe I missed out (I have seen parts of it on Youtube and replays).

Getting absolutely destroyed by them a yr later took a bunch of the luster off too. It was like 65 to 7, and in my opinion, that game along with the Oregon State and UCLA, were the preludes to the 2004-2008 shitshow.
    Stanfraud!! Lol!!!
  • Options
    2000-2001 Mariners playoff series'.

At every home game.

Fuck Roger Clemens, fuck David Justice, fuck Paul O'Neil, fuck Bernie Williams, and especially FUCK DEREK JETER.
  • Options
    I've been around a long time to include Seattle's short history on this #fuckingdreckfest of a planet. So the best I saw was Seattle's 1917 Stanley Cup title, which happened AFTER Washington State Agricultural College's last Rose Bowl win. Seattle will win another Stanley cup before that ever happens again.

None of the sporting events now compares to the sports back in my day: gladiator matches. It started going down hill after the Roman Gladiator League started banning swords to the head.

And yes, I like movies about gladiators. But it's nothing like the real thing.