Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Biggest Seattle sporting events in my lifetime

Comments

• Options
    golddog17golddog17 Member Posts: 121
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    What about the "Game day championship over Stanford" ?
    I heard they made T-shirts.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Don't forget the day we retook Montlake.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

The 2000 Miami game was classic. Fuck you guys who say otherwise. We probably will never beat a team with that much talent again. Not to mention, the atmosphere was electric. It's the best game I ever went to in Husky Stadium.

Fuck em RoadDawg they don't know!
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    It ended as Seattle sports always do ... with a kick to the balls with steel toed boots.

But the 1983 Seahawk playoff run was like the first hit of crack to me.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

The 2000 Miami game was classic. Fuck you guys who say otherwise. We probably will never beat a team with that much talent again. Not to mention, the atmosphere was electric. It's the best game I ever went to in Husky Stadium.

Why do you hate Coach Peterman?
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Does WWF Monday Night Raw in the Tacoma Dome count?
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623

Tacoma Dome '88, Hulk Hogan vs. Kamala the Ugandan Headhunter for the WWF crown. I thought I died and went to heaven.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Those UW regular season games don't fit on the list at all.

I mostly agree, but moreso with the selection rather than the category. If we're including UW regular season games, 91-92 Nebraska have to be on the list. I can't remember being more nervous before any game than the 91 Nebraska game.

Yeah it wasn't in Seattle, but neither were any of the Bowel games.

And the 92 Braska game was crazy for so many reasons - first night game in ages, still thought we were invincible, loudest UW game ever, etc. I'll never forget Tommy Smith's safety.

Also, I'm not sure if this has ever been mentioned, but those Nebraska fans were the classiest I can recall. Little known fact - they actually gave our Dawgs a standing ovation after we whipped them in Lincoln. WOOF!
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Looks like someone left out the 1990 Goodwill Games (RIP)

The games opened at Husky Stadium with a speech by President Reagan. As well as an address by Arnold Schwarzenegger, and a performance by the Moody Blues & Gorky Park

Around 1,400 Soviet athletes came and stayed with host families in Seattle. Soviet cosmonauts also visited, while the Moscow State Circus gave a number of fine performances
  • Options

The games opened at Husky Stadium with a speech by President Reagan. As well as an address by Arnold Schwarzenegger, and a performance by the Moody Blues & Gorky Park

Around 1,400 Soviet athletes came and stayed with host families in Seattle. Soviet cosmonauts also visited, while the Moscow State Circus gave a number of fine performances

No Mikhail Gorbachev?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    BayDawg said:

Tacoma Dome '88, Hulk Hogan vs. Kamala the Ugandan Headhunter for the WWF crown. I thought I died and went to heaven.
    Don't remember Kamala.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I was 9 in 1995. I remember the devastation after the ND/UW game (Allen Rossum pick 6 still haunts my dreams) and the extreme elation of the Mariner/Yankee game. What a rush of emotions. As same day games and go I've never witnessed its equal.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    topdawgnc said:

There may never be another team as (NFL draft) talented as 2000-2001 Miami.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I see a few omissions

Oregon loses to Auburn
    Oregon loses to Stanford
    Oregon loses yo USC
    Oregon loses to Stanford again
    Oregon loses to Arizona #lol
    Buddha Baker decommits from Oregon
    Jim Mora loses

Other than that, looks pretty good

You forgot Oregon's two losses to Boise State
  • Options
    GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    The Sonny Sixkiller versus Dan Fouts battle in 1971, with Calvin Jones batting away the ball from Bobby Moore ( Ahmad Rashad) to preserve the win has to be an all time classic win too.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,313
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

topdawgnc said:

It's ridiculous how much talent that team had, and then didn't lose until the tOSU Fiesta Bowel with McGahee tearing an ACL and horrible PI calls in the end zone.
  • Options
    GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Correction: 1970.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Saw some Eastern European woman set the world record in the 10,000 km walk, first track world record in Seattle since Henry Go Cougs Rono! Also saw future world champions Shane Mosely, Tim Austin, and Sven Ottke at the Arena. And the USA defeat Canada in a shootout at the T Dome.

As far as fake-Olympics go, the 1990 Goodwill Games weren't bad.

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    whlinder said:

topdawgnc said:

It's ridiculous how much talent that team had, and then didn't lose until the tOSU Fiesta Bowel with McGahee tearing an ACL and horrible PI calls in the end zone.
    The call was correct.