Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The O line

Comments

• FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,702
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Woof said:

Gladstone said:

1) High percentage of plays w 2 or 3 TEs
    2) Run first offense that is keeping the offense "on time"
    3) High rate of 3rd down conversions - especially when running
    4) Dominating TOP

It's the HH offense people cried for -- one that plays to our proven strengths (RB, O-line, TE) and should help RB recruiting going forward.

I'm looking for any reason to bash the OC but this gameplan all things considered was fine to me. Now if it's the same exact thing against UA...

I went back and charted out every single offensive play. RIP my eyes, right @GrandpaSankey ? It's a small sample size, but the data doesn't support what BTP is suggesting.

In our non-penalty, non-garbage time offensive plays this is what happened:

Formation
    11 personnel - 43%
    13 personnel - 29%
    12 personnel - 18%
    14 personnel - 8%
    21 personnel - 1%

55% of our plays were multiple TE sets. Note: I counted Westover as a TE in this, even if he was lined up in the backfield.

Rushing
    Ran to the left side 51% of the time
    Ran to the right side 43% of the time
    Ran behind the center 6% of the time (Morris sneaks or where I couldn't quite tell)

We ran inside the tackles 86% of the time and outside the tackles 14% of the time.

Our success rates and stats for these runs were as follows:
    Left-side outside the tackle: 80% success rate, 45 yards, 9.0 YPC
    Left-side inside the tackle: 55% success rate, 146 yards, 7.8 YPC
    Middle: 100% success rate, 7 yards, 2.3 YPC
    Right-side inside the tackle: 47% success rate, 59 yards, 3.1 YPC
    Right-side outside the tackle: 100% success rate, 24 yards, 12.0 YPC

Success rate by runner:
    Newton: 40%
    Pleasant: 36%
    McGrew 78%
    Morris: 100%
    Westover 100%
    Davis 50%
    Bynum 100%
    Odunze 0%
    McMillan 100%

Passing
    We ran play action 8 times, or 33% of the times we dropped back to throw.

Success rate with play action: 50%
    Success rate without play action: 40%

I can cut the numbers a few more ways if anyone cares.
    Deserves own thread!

To be fair to little btp since he is taking quite the beating lately and hasn’t yet quit again...the stats do show UW ran more to the left and had more success on that side as well.
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Woof said:

Gladstone said:

4) Dominating TOP

It's the HH offense people cried for -- one that plays to our proven strengths (RB, O-line, TE) and should help RB recruiting going forward.

I'm looking for any reason to bash the OC but this gameplan all things considered was fine to me. Now if it's the same exact thing against UA...

I went back and charted out every single offensive play. RIP my eyes, right @GrandpaSankey ? It's a small sample size, but the data doesn't support what BTP is suggesting.

Formation
    11 personnel - 43%
    13 personnel - 29%
    12 personnel - 18%
    14 personnel - 8%
    21 personnel - 1%

55% of our plays were multiple TE sets. Note: I counted Westover as a TE in this, even if he was lined up in the backfield.

Rushing
    Ran behind the center 6% of the time (Morris sneaks or where I couldn't quite tell)

We ran inside the tackles 86% of the time and outside the tackles 14% of the time.

Success rate by runner:
    McGrew 78%
    Westover 100%
    Davis 50%
    Bynum 100%
    Odunze 0%
    McMillan 100%

Passing

Westover, 100%. Best offensive player. Case closed.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Woof said:

For @Crow_T_Robot

Success rate is a measure of whether you can get 40% of yards to gain on 1st down, 60% on 2nd down, and 100% on 3rd or 4th down. Some sites adjust that for CFB to 50%, 70%, and 100% respectively, but I didn't because I'm lazy and I found sites doing it both ways.

@Woof

@TacoSoup used to be here
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Woof said:

Play by down and distance:
    1-3 yards to go - 87% run
    3-7 yards to go - 75% run
    8+ yards to go - 65% run

That's play by distance not down and distance. If you have it broken down by down and distance that would be chinteresting. Obviously first down is mostly 10 yards to go but second down 1-3 yards to go, 3-7 yards to go etc and same for third down would be chinteresting.

Also this is probably unrealistic but if you have numbers for averages either in CFB or P5 to have a baseline to compare against that would be quite helpful.

Not expecting you to, but ye have not because ye axe not, yada yada.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Woof said:

Gladstone said:

4) Dominating TOP

Formation
    11 personnel - 43%
    13 personnel - 29%
    12 personnel - 18%
    14 personnel - 8%
    21 personnel - 1%

Rushing

Success rate by runner:
    McGrew 78%
    Westover 100%
    Davis 50%
    Bynum 100%
    Odunze 0%
    McMillan 100%

Passing

I love this stuff and I love you @Woof ! JonDon fan club for life!

In addition to your hard work, here are some more notes (thanks Caple!)

Sports Info Solutions (slightly different than your count, but basically the same):

- UW had at least two tight ends on the field for 57.3% of its offensive snaps.

- Otton was on the field for every snap, along with Morris and the OL

- Jack Westover played 44 snaps, only behind Otton and Terrell Bynum (47) for pass catchers.

- Westover and Otton both lined up at fullback during the game.

- Mark Redman played 22 snaps, all a part of 3 TE set (29% of plays).

- 2019 UW used multiple tight ends on 74.1% of plays, but often lining up Bryant as a receiver.

- Against OSU, UW used multiple tight ends on 36 of their 51 rushing attempts (only seven of Morris’ 24 pass attempts).

- Corey Luciano had 13 snaps as a sixth offensive lineman, including seven of 14 plays on their final possession, all rushes.

- UW played Otton, Westover, Redman and Luciano together on a total of six snaps, including Kamari Pleasant’s 15-yard TD.

- 26 snaps Rome Odunze and Puka Nacua for third-most among wideouts. 21 of those were single WR sets and 23 came with either Redman or Luciano in jumbo sets.

- Either Rome is a great blocker or they are setting teams up later in the season for a deep play action to a very fast Rome.

- Only 30.7% of their offensive plays were out of the shotgun. Shotgun was used 56.5% of the time in 2019, least in the Pac-12. Jimmy and JonDon are going hard the opposite direction of the rest of CFB, at least after 1 game.

SoFuckingIrritating.gif
  • WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    dnc said:

Woof said:

Play by down and distance:
    1-3 yards to go - 87% run
    3-7 yards to go - 75% run
    8+ yards to go - 65% run

That's play by distance not down and distance. If you have it broken down by down and distance that would be chinteresting. Obviously first down is mostly 10 yards to go but second down 1-3 yards to go, 3-7 yards to go etc and same for third down would be chinteresting.

Also this is probably unrealistic but if you have numbers for averages either in CFB or P5 to have a baseline to compare against that would be quite helpful.

Not expecting you to, but ye have not because ye axe not, yada yada.
    Yeah, you're right. I have it, but I have some shit to do now after procrastinating all day. I'll cut that data later.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Woof said:

I counted Luciano as an additional TE, so that's the discrepancy on my end. I presumed he was technically eligible, but I don't claim to be an expert on all of this.

In the doldrums of summer, I actually tried to chart the entire 2019 offense to see if some of my memories were correct. Mercifully, the Husky Archive didn't have recordings of the Colorado or Stanford games, so I was forced to stop after 4-5 games.

It seems like this was appreciated, so I'll try to keep this up going forward. There are some good sites that compile the stats, but I'd never been able to find personnel groupings or specific plays/formations (wildcat and 5 wide in particular for the 2019 offense), so that's why I just started doing it myself. I'll have to check out this Sports Info Solutions site, but I'm assuming you have to pay for it and I'm a cheap bastard.

Well, look at that, you drew back @TacoSoup
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Costco going to play on Sunday
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,467
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Why anyone even reads BTP posts never made sense to me
  • WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    TacoSoup said:

Woof said:

I counted Luciano as an additional TE, so that's the discrepancy on my end. I presumed he was technically eligible, but I don't claim to be an expert on all of this.

In the doldrums of summer, I actually tried to chart the entire 2019 offense to see if some of my memories were correct. Mercifully, the Husky Archive didn't have recordings of the Colorado or Stanford games, so I was forced to stop after 4-5 games.

It seems like this was appreciated, so I'll try to keep this up going forward. There are some good sites that compile the stats, but I'd never been able to find personnel groupings or specific plays/formations (wildcat and 5 wide in particular for the 2019 offense), so that's why I just started doing it myself. I'll have to check out this Sports Info Solutions site, but I'm assuming you have to pay for it and I'm a cheap bastard.

It is appreciated.

I started charting personnel last night for my own archives. Fwiw I disagree on calling Westover a TE when he lines up in the backfield in a 3-pt stance but it’s negligible :)
    I went back and forth, but I think the main reason for tracking personnel is to understand who is on the field when good things happen as opposed to where they are lined up. If heaven forbid we go in Wildcat and Morris splits out wide, I don't think he becomes a WR. I can kind of see the counter argument, I just don't think it's as helpful. I think it's the nuance between personnel and formation, and I don't plan on tracking formations unless some god awful abomination like the wildcat shows up that we all hate.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
    Standard Supporter
    Westover is a hybrid (TE and H-back).

I like Pleasant but not sure he should get many carries over McGrew and Newton.

I still think the offense will put up 30+ against Arizona and we'll see more play-action. Wonder if we'll see Thomson for a series to mix it up if he is healthy.