Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

To Clarify: Fucking Berkeley

DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited November 2020 in Hardcore Husky Board
As we all know the game is cancelled, but shockingly it isn’t on the Pac-12 for once. Per John Wilner: It is strictly being called off by the City of Berkeley Public Health, and only them. Not even Alameda County is calling the game off. City of Berkeley has jurisdiction.

Now the conference and Larry Scott still suck Ballz, I’m not saying they don’t, so don’t twist. But apparently the Pac-12, Cal, and UW all want this game to go down. The cancellation is not due to the Pac-12 testing plan or any of their policies. If the game was at Stanford, USC, UCLA, literally any other city, it’s still on.

Cal is without their entire offensive line due to Berkeley city policies. Not the starting line, the entire position group. Everyone has to quarantine at home for 14 days. Only one player is positive. He is asymptomatic. All other players in contact with him have continued to test negatively since they were last in contact with him. Cal’s protocol and the Pac-12 protocol and the entire testing system that the season was delayed for to make sure was in place..... all of it worked. The kid tested positive and was separated before he could spread it to his teammates.

Cal devised an entire system that would work with Berkeley’s regulations on social distancing, player pods, etc., etc., all to avoid this very situation. Had one player tested positive and was quarantined immediately, and all players around him continued to test negative, those players would not need to be quarantined. Those were the agreements. The City of Berkeley Public Health has decided to overrule those previous conditions.

Justin Wilcox is pissed. Jimmy Lake is pissed. Apparently even the Pac-12 is pissed. Wilcox and the conference have asked what needs to happen to never have this situation again, and they haven’t gotten an answer.

For once this isn’t on the conference. If this game was played in any other city, it still goes on. If it was any other position group besides OL and QB, the game goes on. Players play out of position and lets go. At this point, 14 day quarantine rules has likely fucked Cal for next week’s game against ASU, and it isn’t out of the realm of possibility this happens to Cal again this year. It doesn’t seem like there will be a rampant cancelling of games through the Pac-12 this season. Unless it’s in Berkeley.

I’m not here to discuss the virus, restrictions and policies, politics, or anything like that. Take it to the Tug. I’m just here to watch football and discuss football with you jackasses.

But seriously. WTF Berkeley?

FYFMFE.

Comments

• Options
    At least we? won’t lose to Cal and will enter the Oregon game 4-0. Undefeated season still in play. But we? may lose the week 7 crossover game to reschedule the Cal game. Unless we? beat Oregon and end up in the conference championship. Then fuck Cal anyway and thanks for the favor.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Cal requested the game be cancelled

Hth
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Cal will be lucky to play 1game this year.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Hth

dnc said:

Hth

Poont of clarification: did they ask because they have literally nobody to play O line? If so, then @DoogCourics ' poont stands, in that the city effectively made it impossible for Cal to field a team.

If this rationale stands and is enforced, Cal will likely have to play all its games on the road and should just say fuck it and call it a season. What's the poont? The odds of any team going through Nov, Dec and Jan w/o one positive is, I would think, pretty small, especially at large schools, which all but one of the schools in the P 12 are. Christ Cal is as big or bigger than UW ... well over 30K and Berkely, for those who haven't been, is kinda densley packed in there.
    Cal requested the game be cancelled because the City of Berkeley Public health would not let them play with all the OL that are testing negative, with just the 1 positive being ineligible and quarantined. They are forcing a mandatory quarantine of all players in the position group. So yes, Wilcox requested it be cancelled because he had no choice.

Every reporter that covers Cal (not just Wilner) that I’ve looked at have basically described Wilcox as furious during his press conference.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Move the game to Seattle

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Clearly frustrated and bordering on angry at times, Cal football coach Justin Wilcox said the team would need clearance from the Berkeley public health department no later than Monday in order to play next Saturday’s game at Arizona State.

Wilcox talked to reporters on a Zoom call for about 30 minutes Thursday afternoon, hours after the Pac-12 announced that Cal’s season-opening game against Washington, scheduled for Saturday at Memorial Stadium, had been canceled.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t, you know, got my blood boiling a little bit,” he said. “We respect the virus and the seriousness of it. (Players have) done a really good job of trying to do everything we’ve asked them to do, that the institution has asked them to do and we thought that the state and (Berkeley) public health office was asking them to do.

“So when the game gets taken away from you, that can be an emotional moment.”

One Cal player tested positive for COVID-19, the athletic department announced on Wednesday, and other players have been quarantined as a result of contact tracing. None of those in quarantine have tested positive, Wilcox said.

“Obviously disappointing day for us. I’m sick for our players and feel for them. I feel for the guys at Washington,” Wilcox said. "Everybody was looking forward to this game. It’s a tough pill to swallow.”
    Wilcox had issue with the characterization that Cal requested the game be canceled.

“We did not request to cancel the game. We weren’t able to play the game. Maybe that’s what the paperwork says,” he said. “The contact tracing eliminated a lot of players and an entire position group and it was not going to be feasible.”

Wilcox is not permitted to reveal which position group was impacted, but it’s believed to be either the offensive or defensive line. He also said others, perhaps players and/or coaches, were implicated in the contact tracing.

It was the lack of any available players at one position group that forced Cal's hand.

“We had zero (players from that group) at practice for the last few days. It wasn’t feasible to put a team out there,” Wilcox said. “If it was certain positions where you could kind of sub guys, we would have done that, absolutely. But it wasn’t.”

Asked about the Nov. 14 game at ASU, Wilcox said, “I wish I knew the answer to that. That’s determined by the local public health office, not me, not our trainers and doctors, not Cal. That’s determined through the contact tracing of the local public health office, which is not affiliated with the university.”

Wilcox said the university has given Berkeley health some guidance on when it needs an answer that would clear the way to play in Tempe.

“We would hope to know sometime between tomorrow and Monday,” he said. “We do not have an answer on that yet. It was made known (to Berkeley health) that we would need to know this weekend or at the latest on Monday in order to move forward appropriately.”

Wilcox said the athletic department and university have tried since the start of the pandemic to implement protocols that meet or exceed all local and state health department guidelines. He said the university continually asks what more it can do to safeguard players and meet the contact tracing standards.

But he and his players look around and see other places where contact tracing is executed differently.

"I think the frustrating part is you see the differences throughout the state and the country on how these contact tracing process are taking place,” Wilcox said. “I think that’s where the players especially can get a little bit frustrated, as you can imagine, that there’s no consistency there.”

ESPN provided this explanation from Berkeley Public Health:

A spokesman for Berkeley Public Health told ESPN the negative test results do not allow someone to exit the quarantine protocol because the incubation period for COVID-19 is believed to be 14 days.
    "The reason that the 14-day quarantine exists is that's the amount of time over which somebody could develop the disease," Matthai Chakko, a spokesman for Berkeley Public Health, told ESPN. "[A negative test] doesn't cure somebody's COVID-19 and it doesn't remove the chance that the virus may appear. That's what the quarantine order is based on."
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,310
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Fuck Cal, but I'm with them on this one. I think the "Cal should forfeit!" stuff is bullshit too. There but for the grace of Jay, go we.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited November 2020

i can poop freely on the sidewalks of berkeley but if i have a bad cold i cant play football.

OK!

Gross. But true.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fuck Cal, but I'm with them on this one. I think the "Cal should forfeit!" stuff is bullshit too. There but for the grace of Jay, go we.

For the last time: Cal didn't forfeit! The game will not count, and the season will just be one game shorter! Where's @IrishDawg22!? Aaaarrgh!!!! /wank
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

And if and when we? can't play because of our cunt governor we? should forfeit too.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,098
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oakland Coliseum is 8-10 miles away. get a little creative before asking to cancel the game. Found a high school stadium just outside the city limits 2 miles away. No one is going to be in the stands anyway.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,214
    Founders Club

i can poop freely on the sidewalks of berkeley but if i have a bad cold i cant play football.

OK!

New Hardcore Husky slogan?