Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Samuel Paty: Beheading of teacher deepens divisions over France's secular identity

GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54602171

One of the more hysterical rhetorical devices of hard-right conservatives in this last decade has been the incessant cries of "democrat candidate x is going to usher in an era of Sharia law!". Obama being a secret Muslim is probably still a view held by @Sledog.

Nonetheless, France is actually dealing with the very real problem of what to do when a minority religious group becomes so radical and unwilling to compromise with the values of the country they live in - namely France's very strong tradition of secularity. What do you do when a not-insignificant portion of the population, children especially, are espousing views that are violent and directly conflict with modern society? It's worth noting that France's Muslim population is proportionally much larger than ours, 9% to 1%, so I don't think this is something we'll ever need to confront to the same degree as the French. But it's absolutely a case study in the tension that exists between First Amendment rights and a minority group that could, ironically, actively work against those very same rights.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,142
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Were you required to take a shot at the American right wing and Sled in order to tepidly possibly criticize the savages in France? Is there some sort of moral equivalency at play here that I am missing?

Just look at little Somalia in Minneapolis. That ain't right wingers man
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,633

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54602171

One of the more hysterical rhetorical devices of hard-right conservatives in this last decade has been the incessant cries of "democrat candidate x is going to usher in an era of Sharia law!". Obama being a secret Muslim is probably still a view held by @Sledog.

Nonetheless, France is actually dealing with the very real problem of what to do when a minority religious group becomes so radical and unwilling to compromise with the values of the country they live in - namely France's very strong tradition of secularity. What do you do when a not-insignificant portion of the population, children especially, are espousing views that are violent and directly conflict with modern society? It's worth noting that France's Muslim population is proportionally much larger than ours, 9% to 1%, so I don't think this is something we'll ever need to confront to the same degree as the French. But it's absolutely a case study in the tension that exists between First Amendment rights and a minority group that could, ironically, actively work against those very same rights.

Mooselimb is incompatible with any other religion or government. Maybe you have noticed this around the world and throughout history? The radical form is the problem but they can't be sorted and they change when they feel like it. It's a lot like having bombs planted and never knowing when they will go off.

Most of Obungholes family were muslim, he was raised muslim, his male role model were muslim and yes I think he was a muslim. He was at the very least a muslim sympathizer and encouraged mooselimb chaos.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,835
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Seems like a case study of paying people from the third world to come to your county and then expect nothing out of them and then are shocked that they hate you and resent your culture and want more free sh*t.
  • Options

Were you required to take a shot at the American right wing and Sled in order to tepidly possibly criticize the savages in France? Is there some sort of moral equivalency at play here that I am missing?

Not quite. Shots at @Sledog are in vogue regardless of topic.

Larger point here is that while the left will reject just about anything that even resembles anti-Muslim sentiment, and both parties claim to champion freedom of religion, there is a tension that exists with certain religions and the very countries that allow them to openly flourish.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Europe will collapse under the weight of social programs and the Muslim exodus they not only allowed, but encouraged. Not sure when. 20 years? 50 years? Who knows, but it is inevitable. All the idiots like Macron will be dead by the time the bill comes due, so what do they care. Felt good at the time.
  • Options

Larger point here is that while the left will reject just about anything that even resembles anti-Muslim sentiment, and both parties claim to champion freedom of religion, there is a tension that exists with certain religions and the very countries that allow them to openly flourish.
    Name another religion that wants to kill everyone in every other religion. I'll wait. Dumbass.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,142
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kind of worse than that the left tends to say they want freedom from religion yet as you say embrace the most religiony of the religions. The one that will impose themselves legislatively not just knocking on your door to annoy you while riding a bike through the hood

The day of reckoning will come when the common enemy - Christian capitalism, is defeated and the beheadings begin. Europe has a head start. America really was a melting pot which is why our? old school Muslims are as secular as Christians. Its the newcomers that are being encouraged not to assimilate that could be a problem
  • Options
    Sledog said:

Name another religion that wants to kill everyone in every other religion. I'll wait. Dumbass.
    I think Islam is the most dangerous religion. I'm not sure you're following the conversation very well if you thought I said otherwise.
  • Options

Kind of worse than that the left tends to say they want freedom from religion yet as you say embrace the most religiony of the religions. The one that will impose themselves legislatively not just knocking on your door to annoy you while riding a bike through the hood

The day of reckoning will come when the common enemy - Christian capitalism, is defeated and the beheadings begin. Europe has a head start. America really was a melting pot which is why our? old school Muslims are as secular as Christians. Its the newcomers that are being encouraged not to assimilate that could be a problem
    Tuff liberals like Christopher Hitchens wouldn't stand for today's coddling. In my view the left is appropriately hostile to a religion like Christianity. That same hostility is not applied consistently to the rest of them. The fact that they're a minority group is enough for a hall pass.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Basically two groups of Muslim's in our West Linn neighborhoods and that is expat Iranians chased out by the Ayatollah and Pakistani engineers. The Iranians are very westernized and their kids are largely marrying non-Iranians. At parties, they all drank. The Pakistani's are much more insular. Some wives wearing the hijab. Didn't socialize as much and didn't appear to be drinking at the summer block party. Guessing their kids are more likely to go off the rail.
  • Options

Sledog said:

I think Islam is the most dangerous religion. I'm not sure you're following the conversation very well if you thought I said otherwise.
    World domination is their goal. Nothing less. Say what you mean and quit being apologetic toward them. I say what I mean unless I'm just being funny.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Toss in a huge dose of leftard white guilt. Muslims largely have the right skin tone for white virtue signaling.