Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Series That Should’ve Ended Sooner

Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
edited October 2020 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe
I was debating with a friend recently about if the US or UK version of The Office was better. I said US but also said *only if you count the first three seasons*.

To me, ending it when Jim asks Pam out would’ve been perfect.

https://youtu.be/rpQTOU8cawQ

Also, in my head cannon GOT ended at Season 6, for obvious reasons.

https://youtu.be/AXAnxAA73xM

Any other TV shows, movie or book series you would’ve cut off earlier? If so, at what point?

Comments

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Alias. It was one of the first serial shows that I'd watched. Everything up to that point were episodes that stood alone. Turns out serials are addictive, especially if you're not used to them. My brother got me hooked on it, I bought like four seasons worth of DVDs, then at some point I realized, "This is bad. Really bad. And it's been bad the whole time..."
    Westworld, after season one (biggest amazing-to-total-shit transition in television history).
    Arrested Development. One of the greatest shows ever, then Netflix ruined it. It was so good, though, that even the Netflix shit couldn't knock it off Rushmore, so this one's lower down on the list.
    Obviously GOT. Obviously.

Ultimate inverse: Firefly. Fuck Fox for killing this one early. Needed at least a season or two more to flesh out all the stories properly. Watching it again right now.
    You could argue Arrested Development could also be on the inverse list. Fuck Fox for killing this one early. I think there was a lot more gas in that tank to keep doing what they were doing in the original incantation.

Fox has an amazing history of killing amazing shows too soon because they lacked mass commercial appeal. Add Family Guy to that list (although not my fav, it crushed it on DVD sales after Fox killed it).

We could have a separate thread for criminally under appreciated shows. And yes, Firefly would be at the top of that list.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Arrested Development should have gone longer originally but never should have done seasons 4 and 5 ten years after the fact.

I like the Office until Michael leaves, though I thought the finale was perfect, love how they handled Dwight and Angela.

Lost would have been better had they cancelled it after season 3 and left everyone with a million questions, rather than doing season 4 and 5 and leaving everyone with a million questions.

The US Office finale was great, but it could’ve been done as a reunion/Christmas special like their UK counterpart.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The last two seasons of sons of anarchy are awful but you’re so invested at that point it’s hard not to see it through.

Mad men should have ended a season earlier.

Currently watching billions and I think it too has gone a season too long.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,225
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2020
    Oh God, I forgot the most obvious one...

It’s still better than a lot of TV out there, but Seasons 1-10 were amazing. Quit while you’re ahead.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,247
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

Arrested Development should have gone longer originally but never should have done seasons 4 and 5 ten years after the fact.

I like the Office until Michael leaves, though I thought the finale was perfect, love how they handled Dwight and Angela.

Lost would have been better had they cancelled it after season 3 and left everyone with a million questions, rather than doing season 4 and 5 and leaving everyone with a million questions.

The first three seasons of Arrested Development were near-perfect for me. Season four sucked, and I've never seen season 5...Always wondered what uninterrupted subsequent seasons would have looked like...

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I stopped watching after the Terminus storyline wrapped up.

I went, I think, one more after that. The first bit where they moved into the new community, whatever it was called, was pretty good. It went completely off the rails after that though.

Oh God, I forgot the most obvious one...

It’s still better than a lot of TV out there, but Seasons 1-10 were amazing. Quit while you’re ahead.

It's also funny this came up. I've been turning on the early seasons at times here lately. Once it hits the stage where the focus is just Homer being beyond ridiculous and getting into crazy adventures I cant watch anymore. It starts in about season 7 or 8 but hits a peak a couple seasons later. Basically it turns into a more family friendly Family Guy.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,887
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I stopped watching after the Terminus storyline wrapped up.

I think I quite after season 5 or 6. I just got to be like what's the fucking point here?
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    House of Cards should have ended after year 3, probably. Couldn't get past the first episode of the last season, and then we found out that Kevin Spacey diddled teen boys.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ray Donovan

Maybe should have lasted two seasons. I watched most the first season then realized I hated the show and it was stupid.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

House of Cards should have ended after year 3, probably. Couldn't get past the first episode of the last season, and then we found out that Kevin Spacey diddled teen boys.

Good call. That another UK show that was redone for America. The UK one had only three seasons.

Yeah, I loved Claire Underwood’s character but I never for a second bought her becoming prez. I was hoping to see the last season being more like the ending of McBeth.

Shame. Season 1 was amazing.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,537
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

this

It's not my fault football doesn't start till Nov 7th. Gotta pass the Tim somehow.
    @YellowSnow
    I don't watch TV series - being a cheap bastard I refuse to pay for HBO, Showtime, and all that so most of the shows I don't even know them or many times have not heard of them. So this just gave me a chance to get a dig in - you are not an easy target.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Eastbound and Down went on a season too long.