Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Takeaways from Lake’s Presser

From Caple:

Lake’s tone Tuesday suggests a greater embrace of such circumstances. He’s not inclined to discuss any of the passers individually at this point, but rather than deflect attention from a hotly contested battle for the starting job at the most important position in sports, he is actively encouraging it.

“It’s going to be an exciting competition,” Lake said. “It’s going to be exciting for our team to watch, our coaching staff to watch, I know for you all to watch, our fans to watch. You guys have quoted me before, I’m going to say it again: I’m an equal-opportunity employer. Whoever shows that they can run our scheme, can lead our offense, make smart decisions and make plays, that’s going to be the one that’s going to be the starter. And they’ve got to do it, and they’ve got to be consistent, and we’re looking forward to watching the competition.”

My take: Lake is a lot of energy and hype whereas Pete wanted to downplay everything. But I like the tone taken here. He lets the kids compete and like he’s done with the DBs, the best will play. And he’s about competition and letting it be a good thing.

Caple:

Lake has said that one of the benefits of UW’s new offensive scheme is that it will allow newcomers and underclassmen to pick things up more easily and contribute more meaningfully.

Why is that so important?

“It’s not even just with young guys — it’s even for our vets,” Lake said. “I think the simpler we can keep things — but it’s still sophisticated for our opponent — is going to make all of our guys play a lot faster. And now going to the young guys, we bring in these guys that are fast and tall and explosive — the last thing we want to do as coaches is slow these guys down. We want these guys to play as fast, if not faster, than they played when we looked at them on tape and thought they were going to be a big-time player for us.

“Both sides of the ball, freshmen should be able to insert into our scheme mentally and be able to play right away. It shouldn’t be that confusing. I think we are taking steps that way. I know we are, because I’ve seen a bunch of young guys out there right now on offense making plays in June, July and August, and even these last couple days, getting lined up correctly. It’s been fun to watch. Now, we’ll see when the pads come on and someone’s hitting them, if they’re still able to line up the right way and make those plays. But it is very important for our coaches not to slow our talented players down. We’re not doing our job, we’re not doing our players justice if we’re doing that.”

My take: For years we here have botched and moaned about how complicated Pete’s offense was, wasted formations and shifts, and young guys not being able to play because they didn’t have the encyclopedic playbook down. Lake is pointing it out now, and while it’s his job to gas up his new OC and the new offense, I like seeing that Lake is willing to discuss the fact that an offense should be simple and get the best players involved.

Elijah on coming back:

“I think I just love the game so much that I wouldn’t be able to sit out any longer knowing that I could have played,” Molden said. “That was my motivation behind coming back. Especially with a new coach in Coach Lake, I believe in him entirely. It’s my last year here at UW, but it’s his first, so I want to start him off on a good note.”

Norgaard has taken a medical retirement. There are now 12 Seniors, 8 Juniors, 25 Sophomores, and 38 Freshman on the team. 83 total.

Levi and Tryon are confirmed gone for good.

Otton says TE will stay heavily involved in new offense.

Full report in the WAM!

Comments

• Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tryon is already a day-two pick, at worst. I won't be shocked if he sneaks into round one. The NFL cares much more about ceiling than about collegiate productivity.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Bark for Lake!!!
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Lake already breaking NCAA rules and also violating Inslees orders

I know we are, because I’ve seen a bunch of young guys out there right now on offense making plays in June, July and August, and even these last couple days, getting lined up correctly. It’s been fun to watch.
  • Options
    79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 709
    Swaye's Wigwam
    doogie said:

I know we are, because I’ve seen a bunch of young guys out there right now on offense making plays in June, July and August, and even these last couple days, getting lined up correctly. It’s been fun to watch.

Fuck inslee
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,275
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    doogie said:

They better have been working harder than ever this summer

And really buying in
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,182
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TTJ said:

Tryon is already a day-two pick, at worst. I won't be shocked if he sneaks into round one. The NFL cares much more about ceiling than about collegiate productivity.

Fish and Chips bet at Ivar’s says Tryon doesn’t get drafted
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    HuskyJW said:

TTJ said:

Free money meal Tuesday
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HuskyJW said:

TTJ said:

I know you are being facetious but I thought they were going tits up?
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    Jimmy mentioned playing freshmen. I hope the rest of the country doesn’t catch wind of this revolutionary concept. Personally I think its a horrible idea.

But really, folks says that Peterman preferred to go with more veteran players, yet give jimmy credit for playing freshman. I think the reality is that position coaches normally decide the player rotation. And some of those position coaches may still be with the team. So we will see.

On another note I don’t see much mention of the dawg pound over here. A bit odd, but then again most of the content looks like it came the uw athletic department. Lots of leg humping going on over there.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dOgmaster said:

Jimmy mentioned playing freshmen. I hope the rest of the country doesn’t catch wind of this revolutionary concept. Personally I think its a horrible idea.

But really, folks says that Peterman preferred to go with more veteran players, yet give jimmy credit for playing freshman. I think the reality is that position coaches normally decide the player rotation. And some of those position coaches may still be with the team. So we will see.

On another note I don’t see much mention of the dawg pound over here. A bit odd, but then again most of the content looks like it came the uw athletic department. Lots of leg humping going on over there.

The defense has never had trouble playing freshmen since Petersen came to UW. Most units on the team haven't. It's really just been the receivers. I think the OC and receivers coach have been making the final decisions, but they've been setting the rotation according to Petersen's wishes instead of going with the most talented players.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    dOgmaster said:

Pete was an offensive coach so it's reasonable to assume he had more control on the offensive side of the ball. That's speculation but informed speculation.

The defense never had any issues playing the kids.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    TommySQC said:

HuskyJW said:

TTJ said:

I know you are being facetious but I thought they were going tits up?
    That place has gone downhill since old man Hagland sold the couch.

Also, I think Kidd Valley is selling the couch. Ivar’s owned Kidd Valley.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,464
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dOgmaster said:

Junior Adams didn't want, and knew he wouldn't benefit from, playing Fuller and Bachellia as the 1 and 2 receivers.

It was Pete's equation for playing time.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dOgmaster said:

There is some leg humping about Lake being more serious about winning. Pete was all about winning. The whole point was to win big, but do it his way.

Whatevergirl.gif. Most here are excited we are going to play and are dooging like any other year. We’ll find out soon if Lake can coach.
    He can't.

The odds that a guy who fucked up the OC hire as badly as Jimmy Lake did, who chose to retain Bob Gregory, whose entire recruiting strategy of 'wait to do any recruiting till we can get the kids on campus again' was an ill-advised, unmitigated fucking disaster, the guy who can't close recruits to save his life, the guy whose filled his staff with SIX guys that are massive recruiting liabilities, the guy who's getting his shit pushed in by Oregon daily.... The odds that THAT guy will show up next month and suddenly by an intelligent, organized, instinctive, detail-oriented, respected, competent head coach is practically zero. It's like watching a dude stall his car six times, take 45 minutes to parallel park it, then claim that he could still win the Indy 500... we just need to see him race!

Jimmy's gonna get a minimum of three years, no matter how bad it gets, which is just enough time for him to waste all the freshman and sophomore talent we have in the program right now. We? had our shot with Pete... but Pete decided he'd rather walk away than make changes to his fucked-up offensive philosophy. That was the only chance Washington had to be legitimate... for Pete to stay, but hand over the reigns offensively to someone else... but he wouldn't do it. And in three years, we'll be back Gilby/Ty kind of bad.