Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It’s Barrett....(Democrat Hysteria Game Thread)

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Goduckies said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

She’s Catholic. The DNC are atheists and will throw everything they’ve got against her Catholism

Way to alienate the Hispanic vote who are almost entirely Catholic, DNC

But the Cuban chick is a Cuban chick. That might have appeased the Floridas, but as we’ve seen here on HCH, not everyone can distinguish among the Hispanos, and among those that can, many don’t care. Reasonable amounts.

Picking the non-ethnic conservative, while considering the ethnic one was the smart move.

I’ll note that both selections are out of step with the traditional academic elitism that accompanies SCOTUS appointments. Harvard, Yale and Stanford, undergrad and law school, have traditionally dominated the appointment pools.

The Cuban woman went to Columbia LS, which is up there too and way better than Notre Dame, but went to FIU undergrad, which is very low brow.

Barrett was undergrad at Rhodes College, not exactly a tippy top liberal arts college, and Notre Dame LS, which is not elite. #26 in USNWR, current ranking, is even higher than it’s been historically. It’s not even Georgetown. Top law firms don’t interview there.

Way Moore Catholic Highspanics than just Cuban. Gong for the big win.
    Barrett has broader appeal is my guess as to why she was picked.
    That’s essentially what I said.

Why do you think she has “broader appeal”?
    Had 5 kids and catholic makes it possible to stay independent votes if they trash her too hard
    JFC you’re worse than Sleddy. What are you writing here? English please.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,709
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

She’s Catholic. The DNC are atheists and will throw everything they’ve got against her Catholism

But the Cuban chick is a Cuban chick. That might have appeased the Floridas, but as we’ve seen here on HCH, not everyone can distinguish among the Hispanos, and among those that can, many don’t care. Reasonable amounts.

Picking the non-ethnic conservative, while considering the ethnic one was the smart move.

I’ll note that both selections are out of step with the traditional academic elitism that accompanies SCOTUS appointments. Harvard, Yale and Stanford, undergrad and law school, have traditionally dominated the appointment pools.

The Cuban woman went to Columbia LS, which is up there too and way better than Notre Dame, but went to FIU undergrad, which is very low brow.

Barrett was undergrad at Rhodes College, not exactly a tippy top liberal arts college, and Notre Dame LS, which is not elite. #26 in USNWR, current ranking, is even higher than it’s been historically. It’s not even Georgetown. Top law firms don’t interview there.

Married, female, mother, Catholic, good reputation, highly thought of among the legal crowd, mixed family etc. Appeals across some racial lines due to her religion and adoption. Traditional interpretation of the constitution. Pro life.
    Lagoa is married, no less Catholic than Barrett, has three kids, serves on a federal court of appeals, served on the FL SC, and spent time in private practice.

She also made it to the Ivy League with no affirmative action - I know this because she is my age and we attended LS at the same time. I know first hand that the law schools, especially those in the east, don’t consider Cubans as diversity candidates. Dean of admissions at Michigan told me that point blank.

So I ask you again: why does Barrett have broader appeal? They seem like almost the same people. Only real differences are Barrett taught in LS and the Cuban has a better LS pedigree and served in her state’s Supreme Court.
    I ain't the one doing the picking!

Only one I had heard of prior was ACB.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Goduckies said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Had 5 kids and catholic makes it possible to stay independent votes if they trash her too hard
    I’m still wondering what point you’re trying to make. Are you saying Barrett isn’t qualified?
  • Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,347
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Goduckies said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sorry meant steal independent votes
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Married, female, mother, Catholic, good reputation, highly thought of among the legal crowd, mixed family etc. Appeals across some racial lines due to her religion and adoption. Traditional interpretation of the constitution. Pro life.
    Lagoa is married, no less Catholic than Barrett, has three kids, serves on a federal court of appeals, served on the FL SC, and spent time in private practice.

She also made it to the Ivy League with no affirmative action - I know this because she is my age and we attended LS at the same time. I know first hand that the law schools, especially those in the east, don’t consider Cubans as diversity candidates. Dean of admissions at Michigan told me that point blank.

So I ask you again: why does Barrett have broader appeal? They seem like almost the same people. Only real differences are Barrett taught in LS and the Cuban has a better LS pedigree and served in her state’s Supreme Court.
    Barrett has a better track record on the 2nd amendment. Good enough for me. Not that Lagoa is bad on it, she just doesn’t have a track record if ruling on it.
    Ah the one issue litmus test. I thought only the liberals did that.

Anyway, still would like to know why Barrett has broader appeal. Not everyone is looking for a 2A hawk. And Lagoa is conservative enough that she’d be a pretty safe bet on that one critical issue.
    For such a big time attorney, I’d expect you to know that even if Roe is overturned, all it does is put the issue of abortion back to state law. It doesn’t ban abortion.

Guessing you’re a corporate attorney who writes a lot of filler in your briefs to sound smart.
  • Options

Goduckies said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

I’m still wondering what point you’re trying to make. Are you saying Barrett isn’t qualified?
    Couple things:

1. Don’t be paranoid. Nobody even implied any such a thing. You’re becoming delusional in your enthusiasm. Next thing you know we’ll be talking about Michelle Obama’s college thesis.

2. I directed my question about coherence to goduckies. If you can translate what he wrote I’m all ears. It was a simple and sincere question.
  • Options

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Barrett has a better track record on the 2nd amendment. Good enough for me. Not that Lagoa is bad on it, she just doesn’t have a track record if ruling on it.

Anyway, still would like to know why Barrett has broader appeal. Not everyone is looking for a 2A hawk. And Lagoa is conservative enough that she’d be a pretty safe bet on that one critical issue.
    For such a big time attorney, I’d expect you to know that even if Roe is overturned, all it does is put the issue of abortion back to state law. It doesn’t ban abortion.

Guessing you’re a corporate attorney who writes a lot of filler in your briefs to sound smart.
    I am a big-time attorney. It appears to bother you. IDC.

Again, what on earth are you ranting about? Now we’re talking about Roe? Isn’t there another Obama college thesis to discuss first?

Read the fucking thread Duck. Again if you must.

And I am a corporate attorney and corporate attorneys don’t write briefs you Duck rube.

• Options

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

I don’t care about taking away abortions. I don’t want the commiecrats expanding the Supreme Court or adding states to sway things in their favor, and I’m pretty sure either woman would do that, so yes, I’ll take the one with the more proven track record on gun rights. I believe that the 2nd amendment is the most important amendment because it’s the one that gives the populace the teeth to keep the rest of our rights intact.

I want to buy suppressors and put stocks on my “pistols” without paying extra money to the fucking government and going in a highly monitored registry to do it. I’d settle for suppressors and SBRs removed from the NFA, but I won’t complain if they kill the whole thing and put fun switch weapons back on the table.
    Good enough for me!
  • Options
    Goduckies said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Goduckies said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sorry meant steal independent votes
    Got it. I could have figured that out with a little more effort on my part I suppose.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

I see. So you hadn’t even heard of the other candidate on the short list and jumped in anyway Sleddy? You’re better than that.
  • Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,347
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    All good... lol
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,709

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

I see. So you hadn’t even heard of the other candidate on the short list and jumped in anyway Sleddy? You’re better than that.
    I like her fine and I'd probably like the Cuban just as well. I'd most likely think most on his list are good with me.
    I am a one issue voter and that's the second amendment. Like I said I ain't picking. Give Trump a call and tell him what you think. Without #2 the rest of the amendments would be gone so fast......
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,811
    edited September 2020

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Your Cuban roots are showing.

See also my ABC hotter than Lagoa post. ABC appeals to suburban soccer mom. They can relate to ACB

Trump is going to cruise in Florida anyway - he's got the Cubans locked up tight.

He needs soccer mom to move 'just' a little bit to the right. Either that or a couple Antifa gatherings at gated communities where a BMW gets torched or something.

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I’ll try and answer, creepy

I’m not a big SCOTUS candidate watcher. I get my list of candidates in the Tug.

Barrett was considered publicly last time around so when RBG died, I assumed her name would be at the top of the list and here she is.

I’d never heard of Lagoa until her name surfaced here with you advocating for her. Next time around I assume she’ll be at the top of the list.

Name recognition. That’s it.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,540
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    if she changed her name to Comey-Barrett I think the left would be happier. They like hyphens.

I am glad a conservative is nominated - don't care about much after that, the left needs a conservative court to counteract the last 100 years of us getting screwed
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Because Cubans are known swarthy folks.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited September 2020

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Barrett is slam dunk 2A. I love her. Swaye mushroom stamp of approval.