Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It’s Barrett....(Democrat Hysteria Game Thread)

Comments

• Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2020
    Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

So Barrett is a practicing Catholic. That is no different from being a practicing atheist who hates organized religion. Or being a practicing environmentalist. Or a practicing feminist. Everyone has their own morality. The difference is that a practicing feminist has to make sh*t up out of whole cloth and come up with "emanations" and "penumbras" to come up with a super Constitutional right to unlimited abortion. A practicing environmentalist has to come up with some serious sh*t to define a pond in some farmers backyard as a "navigable waterway". A practicing atheist has to make sh*t up to require a baker to bake a flaming gay wedding cake.

I have no problem with anyone being a practicing Catholic or other organized anything. And I agree: all of those things you lampoon in the extreme can wander over the line into religious fervor. That said, those secular things are secular things. There's a reason we? decided to keep the religious out of the secular.

We've had LONG discussions in the past here in the Tug about where to draw that line, and I'm not about to relitigate. Probably because I'm scared of FACTs and worried that my feelings will be hurt and I won't be able to emote my way out of a corner. I think it suffices to say that you like Barrett because she's going to follow Scalia on a handful of issues that are of importance to you. And on that score, your preference is perfectly rational. I myself like people who can keep a nice clear line between their personal spiritual beliefs and secular matters. She may in fact turn out to be one of those people.
    Just say you want a strict textualist (or originalist?) not someone who will read their own opinion into the law. Non-coincidentally that is what the vast majority of those on the right would like.

In total, a discussion about Barrett's religion given her stance on Scalia's textualism seems rather unnecessary.
    Totally fair. I think on some level it is inescapable to at least apply old text into the contemporary world or we would have absurd results or we'd be amending the constitution all the time. Maybe the latter is what should happen over 9 people winging it on their own.

I just got off the phone with a colleague, who got her JD at Boston College. The dean at the time, and a Con Law professor, apparently wrote a piece with Barrett some time ago suggesting that judges recuse themselves when a case presents a religious dilemma for a presiding judge. She's been criticized for that, but maybe that's the best answer. I, myself, would be able to compartmentalize whatever spirituality I had with what I thought the law required. But if you can't, then don't decide the case.
    Im willing to bet that is a lazy reference to this article from 2019; https://humanevents.com/2019/09/19/amy-coney-barrett-is-not-a-safe-pick-for-the-supreme-court/

Zmirak there claimed Barrett argued that trial judges who are faithful to Catholic teaching “are morally precluded from enforcing the death penalty” and should therefore recuse themselves from cases in which they might be required to do so. Zmirak extravagantly extrapolates from the 1998 article that Barrett as a Supreme Court justice might recuse herself from cases involving capital punishment, immigration, and abortion. (In reference to an old paper she help author in law school)

Barrett addressed religious recusal and that 1998 opinion in her 2017 hearing;

"I wrote that law review article when I was a third-year law student with one of my professors 20 years ago. It was a project that he had underway, and he invited me to work on it with him, and I was complimented that as a student he thought I was up to the task of being more than a research assistant. But I was very much the junior partner in our collaboration, and that was appropriate given our relative statures."

"Would I or could I say, sitting here today, that that article and its every particular reflects how I think about these questions today with, as you say, the benefit of 20 years of experience and also the ability to speak solely in my own voice? No, it would not."

Barrett then stated that “sitting here today, I cannot think of any cases or category of cases in which I would feel obliged to recuse on grounds of conscience.

She also directly addressed your specific concern on a line between legal judgement and faith;

"It is never appropriate for a judge to impose that judge’s personal convictions, whether they derive from faith or anywhere else, on the law. If there is ever a conflict between a judge’s personal conviction and that judge’s duty under the rule of law, it is never, ever permissible for that judge to follow their personal convictions in the decision of a case rather than what the law requires. I totally reject and I have rejected throughout my entire career the proposition that, as you say, the end justifies the means or that a judge should decide cases based on a desire to reach a certain outcome.

Were I confirmed, as a judge I would decide cases according to the rule of law, beginning to end."

https://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/attack-on-judge-amy-coney-barrett-completely-misfires/

That’s a wrap. People forget she had a full hearing in 2017. They forget that.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

So Barrett is a practicing Catholic. That is no different from being a practicing atheist who hates organized religion. Or being a practicing environmentalist. Or a practicing feminist. Everyone has their own morality. The difference is that a practicing feminist has to make sh*t up out of whole cloth and come up with "emanations" and "penumbras" to come up with a super Constitutional right to unlimited abortion. A practicing environmentalist has to come up with some serious sh*t to define a pond in some farmers backyard as a "navigable waterway". A practicing atheist has to make sh*t up to require a baker to bake a flaming gay wedding cake.

I have no problem with anyone being a practicing Catholic or other organized anything. And I agree: all of those things you lampoon in the extreme can wander over the line into religious fervor. That said, those secular things are secular things. There's a reason we? decided to keep the religious out of the secular.

We've had LONG discussions in the past here in the Tug about where to draw that line, and I'm not about to relitigate. Probably because I'm scared of FACTs and worried that my feelings will be hurt and I won't be able to emote my way out of a corner. I think it suffices to say that you like Barrett because she's going to follow Scalia on a handful of issues that are of importance to you. And on that score, your preference is perfectly rational. I myself like people who can keep a nice clear line between their personal spiritual beliefs and secular matters. She may in fact turn out to be one of those people.
    The separation of Church and State was originally to keep the State out of the Church, not the other way around.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited September 2020
    alumni94 said:

The separation of Church and State was originally to keep the State out of the Church, not the other way around.

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties." Thomas Jefferson

"In the words of Thomas Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect a wall of separation between church and state." Hugo Black

So is this wall like Gortex where water can't come in but perspiration can go out? Like a one-way thing?

And by extension are you saying you're ok with Justices on the SCOTUS bringing religious views to bear in deciding cases? What are you going to say when the Muslim Justices get their guys in there? Let me know because I want to use this at my big-time lawyer cocktail parties.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,572
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    She has an annoying voice
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,834
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2020

alumni94 said:

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties." Thomas Jefferson

"In the words of Thomas Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect a wall of separation between church and state." Hugo Black

So is this wall like Gortex where water can't come in but perspiration can go out? Like a one-way thing?

And by extension are you saying you're ok with Justices on the SCOTUS bringing religious views to bear in deciding cases? What are you going to say when the Muslim Justices get their guys in there? Let me know because I want to use this at my big-time lawyer cocktail parties.
    Is it okay for an environmentalist to bring his moral view to bear on the question is a pond in a farmer's backyard a "navigable waterway". Everyone has a their own moral view. The issue is can they enforce the law with an opinion based in the law? Disqualifying Christians for being a practicing Christian should then also disqualify a practicing feminist from an abortion opinion. It's not conservatives that are arguing about an organic everchanging written Constitution and using feelings to make up non-existent Constitutional rights and then take away specific granted Constitutional rights.
    =====
    After requiring all federal and state legislators and officers to swear or affirm to support the federal Constitution, Article VI specifies that “no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.” This prohibition, commonly known as the No Religious Test ...
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

alumni94 said:

Is it okay for an environmentalist to bring his moral view to bear on the question is a pond in a farmer's backyard a "navigable waterway". Everyone has a their own moral view. The issue is can they enforce the law with an opinion based in the law? Disqualifying Christians for being a practicing Christian should then also disqualify a practicing feminist from an abortion opinion. It's not conservatives that are arguing about an organic everchanging written Constitution and using feelings to make up non-existent Constitutional rights and then take away specific granted Constitutional rights.
    =====
    After requiring all federal and state legislators and officers to swear or affirm to support the federal Constitution, Article VI specifies that “no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.” This prohibition, commonly known as the No Religious Test ...
    I made the same point in much more direct manner to @creepycoug but as most attorneys I’ve dealt with and have known in my life and career, they think their opinions are factual and other opinions contrary to theirs are to be dismissed. It’s a mindset.
  • Options

alumni94 said:

=====
    Yeah, sure.

And? What's your point?
  • Options

alumni94 said:

=====
    I made the same point in much more direct manner to @creepycoug but as most attorneys I’ve dealt with and have known in my life and career, they think their opinions are factual and other opinions contrary to theirs are to be dismissed. It’s a mindset.
    Lol. You write like a retard sometimes. And you obsess about things. Tighten it up Corky.
  • Options

alumni94 said:

=====
    Yeah, sure.

And? What's your point?
    My apologies. I left this for too long and couldn't come back to it. Meant to add the following:

I'm not administering a religious test. I feel like you're trying to talk me into confirming this broad. You don't need to do that. I'm not on a witch hunt here.

For the record, I do reject your categorical conflation of humanist concerns with religious as mostly rhetoric. Like Jefferson, I recognize a distinction between natural rights (to worship privately) and social duty. So, no, they're not the same to me. But like I said, we've litigated that one in the Tug.

Out of curiosity, would you pursue this point as feverishly as you are now if the appointee-to-be were some kind of non-Christian religious follower? How would a Muslim appointee feel for you? Or some other devout follower of old stories that didn't involve Jesus? You may remain consistent in your view, but I can read minds and some of your friends would be lying if they said yes.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,631
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,834
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

alumni94 said:

=====
    Yeah, sure.

And? What's your point?
    My apologies. I left this for too long and couldn't come back to it. Meant to add the following:

I'm not administering a religious test. I feel like you're trying to talk me into confirming this broad. You don't need to do that. I'm not on a witch hunt here.

For the record, I do reject your categorical conflation of humanist concerns with religious as mostly rhetoric. Like Jefferson, I recognize a distinction between natural rights (to worship privately) and social duty. So, no, they're not the same to me. But like I said, we've litigated that one in the Tug.

Out of curiosity, would you pursue this point as feverishly as you are now if the appointee-to-be were some kind of non-Christian religious follower? How would a Muslim appointee feel for you? Or some other devout follower of old stories that didn't involve Jesus? You may remain consistent in your view, but I can read minds and some of your friends would be lying if they said yes.
    The dazzler likes to dodge easy questions. Don't be the dazzler. Should the people who want ACB disqualified from the Supreme Court because she is a practicing Catholic ban practicing environmentalists from deciding if the feds can regulate a pond in a farmer's backyard? That's my beef with the left. They are hypocrites and in this case there is a clear written prohibition from denying public office to a citizen because they don't practice your religion.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Houhusky said:

alumni94 said:

=====
    Yeah, sure.

And? What's your point?

Not to argue @WestlinnDuck points but....

The "wall of separation" is not in the constitution. Both Washington and Adams wrapped the executive in a blanket of open Christianity while still asserting a freedom of religion. Even Jefferson regularly attended church service held in congress' House during both his terms. Jefferson's personal views in a letter, not directly about the 1st amendment, are irrelevant. IMO the courts usage of Jefferson's innocuous letter, 100 years later, to determine the singular totality of the 1st was the court reading their own opinion into the law.

Historically, Jefferson's wall of separation was the evolution of Martin Luther's Separation of Two Kingdoms doctrine and the first use of the wall analogy was Puritan theologian Roger Williams in his 1644 book The Bloody Tenant of Persecution. Laws are created from the religious conscious of its society, they are not progenerated from a miasma of objectivity that simply exists outside the human experience... (ironically argument to the contrary is essentially a religious one.) The framers, including Jefferson, understood that the very idea of natural rights and a separate church and state was rooted in religious thought.

Therefore, my objective, secular ruling is that the 1st amendments goal was in fact to remove the state from religion NOT the religion from the state. The modern appearance that Laws are created from secular reason is just a testament to the religious and cultural thought homogeneity that has existed within the US. I don't find it possible to argue that the framers wrote about being endowed by their creator to certain specific natural rights and then attempted to create a legal system devoid of religious conscious enshrining those inherently religious rights. They fully understood that the nation's laws would (and should) be reflection of its citizens' religion(s).

The question of a different religion is a bit of a false equivalency... The constitution is rooted in Judeo-Christian values, post reformation Christianity and Scottish enlightenment ideals are directly inline with most modern Catholic beliefs. Put simply; If you grew up in a culture understanding the ten commandments then you are less likely to struggle with the ten amendments of the bill of rights.

I think its pretty ignorant to blanket treat all magically sky fairy beliefs as equally compatible with western morals or the constitution. If someone was a scientologist I would be pretty fucking worried about their seat on the Supreme Court.

TLDR: B===D~~~~ (.)(.)
    Good poast.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,132
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think if a candidate for the court said that Sharia is more important than the Constitution it would be a legitimate issue.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,175
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One can only hope they uselessly go after her for being Catholic with a vengeance.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Houhusky said:

alumni94 said:

=====
    Yeah, sure.

And? What's your point?

Not to argue @WestlinnDuck points but....

The "wall of separation" is not in the constitution. Both Washington and Adams wrapped the executive in a blanket of open Christianity while still asserting a freedom of religion. Even Jefferson regularly attended church service held in congress' House during both his terms. Jefferson's personal views in a letter, not directly about the 1st amendment, are irrelevant. IMO the courts usage of Jefferson's innocuous letter, 100 years later, to determine the singular totality of the 1st was the court reading their own opinion into the law.

Historically, Jefferson's wall of separation was the evolution of Martin Luther's Separation of Two Kingdoms doctrine and the first use of the wall analogy was Puritan theologian Roger Williams in his 1644 book The Bloody Tenant of Persecution. Laws are created from the religious conscious of its society, they are not progenerated from a miasma of objectivity that simply exists outside the human experience... (ironically argument to the contrary is essentially a religious one.) The framers, including Jefferson, understood that the very idea of natural rights and a separate church and state was rooted in religious thought.

Therefore, my objective, secular ruling is that the 1st amendments goal was in fact to remove the state from religion NOT the religion from the state. The modern appearance that Laws are created from secular reason is just a testament to the religious and cultural thought homogeneity that has existed within the US. I don't find it possible to argue that the framers wrote about being endowed by their creator to certain specific natural rights and then attempted to create a legal system devoid of religious conscious enshrining those inherently religious rights. They fully understood that the nation's laws would (and should) be reflection of its citizens' religion(s).

The question of a different religion is a bit of a false equivalency... The constitution is rooted in Judeo-Christian values, post reformation Christianity and Scottish enlightenment ideals are directly inline with most modern Catholic beliefs. Put simply; If you grew up in a culture understanding the ten commandments then you are less likely to struggle with the ten amendments of the bill of rights.

I think its pretty ignorant to blanket treat all magically sky fairy beliefs as equally compatible with western morals or the constitution. If someone was a scientologist I would be pretty fucking worried about their seat on the Supreme Court.

TLDR: B===D~~~~ (.)(.)
    Understood none of this. Chinned it anyway because my e-buddies did.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,531
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hell - I think I get it now that someone simplified it for @Swaye