Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official Gameday Gardening thread

Comments

• Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,265
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Let's plant this Pea Patch......so, what's everyone got growing besides weed and more weeds?

Landscape projects! Paver patios, retaining walls, irrigation systems.....ask me anything you would like besides LEAVE, and fuck off....

@Doog_de_Jour how many hanging baskets do you have? Cherry tomatoes doing well? Does neem oil really work? Let's Go!

Get that Ph meter and know your soil.....pro tip....Neutral is 7, our favorite Huard
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,833
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fuck all that landscaping/gardening crap.

When Antifa rolls up, I want my place looking as shitty as possible so they head next door and loot/pillage the immaculate well-maintained place.

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

When Antifa rolls up, I want my place looking as shitty as possible so they head next door and loot/pillage the immaculate well-maintained place.

Nobody said anything about recreating the gardens at Versailles, Throbber. 🙂

We? also gotta make a plan for *after* the zombies and Antifa mobs move on.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Nobody said anything about recreating the gardens at Versailles, Throbber. 🙂

We? also gotta make a plan for *after* the zombies and Antifa mobs move on.

We have a dedicated garden area at the Compound already - it looks like crap because, well, Mrs. Throbber v2.0 got seduced distracted this year..

@Distraction_de_Jour
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    dannarc said:

Let's plant this Pea Patch......so, what's everyone got growing besides weed and more weeds?

Landscape projects! Paver patios, retaining walls, irrigation systems.....ask me anything you would like besides LEAVE, and fuck off....

@Doog_de_Jour how many hanging baskets do you have? Cherry tomatoes doing well? Does neem oil really work? Let's Go!

Get that Ph meter and know your soil.....pro tip....Neutral is 7, our favorite Huard

Oh, DUDE, I got questions/plans.

I just moved into a new place, and I actually have access to a community garden. How the fuck do these things work? Is it worth it?

In the short term, I wanna get some culinary herbs going ASAP. I have two large containers for outside my south facing front door of my apartment:

My knee jerk reaction was to put some rosemary bushes in there, but 🤷‍♀️ I don’t know.

That’s all I got for right now. I just miss my old window boxes where I could snip off some fresh chives when I need them.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Super gay show on the super gay network so naturally a favorite

• Options
    Standard Supporter

We like to keep it simple

DAMMIT RACE, WHERE’S THE FUCKING FOUNTAIN?????? WE DISCUSSED THIS!!!
  • Options

dannarc said:

I just moved into a new place, and I actually have access to a community garden. How the fuck do these things work? Is it worth it?

In the short term, I wanna get some culinary herbs going ASAP. I have two large containers for outside my south facing front door of my apartment:

My knee jerk reaction was to put some rosemary bushes in there, but 🤷‍♀️ I don’t know.

That’s all I got for right now. I just miss my old window boxes where I could snip off some fresh chives when I need them.
    Those containers will dry very fast, water twice daily. Rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme, and parsley...etc... Get a bag of potting soil and replenish each container by mixing in fresh soil, because whatever was in those containers before may have depleted available nutrients. Don't over fertilize herbs, they are tough and can grow in shitty conditions. They like close to neutral Ph. When they are established, cut back watering. You won't get alot in those two containers, don't overplant. One plant per quarter of container. Have some twine handy as plants get bigger to keep them from splaying over.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    dannarc said:

dannarc said:

Those containers will dry very fast, water twice daily. Rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme, and parsley...etc... Get a bag of potting soil and replenish each container by mixing in fresh soil, because whatever was in those containers before may have depleted available nutrients. Don't over fertilize herbs, they are tough and can grow in shitty conditions. They like close to neutral Ph. When they are established, cut back watering. You won't get alot in those two containers, don't overplant. One plant per quarter of container. Have some twine handy as plants get bigger to keep them from splaying over.
    Roger that...I’m still worried about lightning though. There’s a nearby wooden fence and tree branches overhead. Plus (*Ned Stark voice*) winter is coming.

Would that be too much trouble for the rosemary?
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

dannarc said:

dannarc said:

Roger that...I’m still worried about lightning though. There’s a nearby wooden fence and tree branches overhead. Plus (*Ned Stark voice*) winter is coming.

Generally assume 2 zones colder than you are for containers. In other words for western WA, 8b probably, perhaps 8a, you can put things in containers if it can take 6b...which rosemary and thyme definitely can handle. It's more of a problem for someone like me where suddenly container plants need to be able to handle zone 4 to have a chance.

I'd get those two perennial herbs in there now and leave them mostly alone. You could trim back thyme at first frost, and mulch both. Next year you'll be getting tons of growth. Maybe even spring for a bigger tree form rosemary if'n you can find one this time of year.

Oh, and I don't think lightning will be a problem, lulz. Lighting is likely suboptimal but you'll be ok. If wind is really cold give extra protection in winter.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

dannarc said:

dannarc said:

Generally assume 2 zones colder than you are for containers. In other words for western WA, 8b probably, perhaps 8a, you can put things in containers if it can take 6b...which rosemary and thyme definitely can handle. It's more of a problem for someone like me where suddenly container plants need to be able to handle zone 4 to have a chance.

I'd get those two perennial herbs in there now and leave them mostly alone. You could trim back thyme at first frost, and mulch both. Next year you'll be getting tons of growth. Maybe even spring for a bigger tree form rosemary if'n you can find one this time of year.

Oh, and I don't think lightning will be a problem, lulz. Lighting is likely suboptimal but you'll be ok. If wind is really cold give extra protection in winter.
    I’M FIRING THE GIRL WHO DOES MY TRANSCRIPTION!

😅Yes. I meant lighting.

Thanks @NoWarningJustDawg for the plant knowledge.
  • Options

We like to keep it simple

It's good to be the King.

#pissboy!!!

#dontforgettheshake
  • Options

Mrs. Throbber v2.0 has multiple orgasms when this is on.

Not sure what that means when two gay men give one's wife multiple O's......

• Options

Mrs. Throbber v2.0 has multiple orgasms when this is on.

Not sure what that means when two gay men give one's wife multiple O's......

It means you're not gay enough when it really matters
  • Options
    One word......Rhubarb

Make rhubarb crisp then pop off, it's the most underutilized landscape shrub/garden/below the deck plant . It can be planted damn near anywhere and you can give away plenty to neighbors. Dice it up and freeze for later use....
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    dannarc said:

One word......Rhubarb

Make rhubarb crisp then pop off, it's the most underutilized landscape shrub/garden/below the deck plant . It can be planted damn near anywhere and you can give away plenty to neighbors. Dice it up and freeze for later use....

Ha. Only problem is I hate rhubarb. It is pretty easy to grow though if I recall.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,305
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I seriously thought this thread would be about bushwacking pubes before a big Grindr date.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I seriously thought this thread would be about bushwacking pubes before a big Grindr date.

Manscaping is important!