Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sawant Celebrates Victory Against Rasicm

NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,584 Standard Supporter
    Sawant should keep her trap shut - when Chief Best runs for mayor, she's gonna bring a shit ton of law and order persons of color with her gunning for Council seats.

As the swarthy one says, the money'd in Seattle are probably just about at the point where they say 'ok, the gloves are coming off. GTFO and let the adults run things".

Cook it.

• hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    I agree, but wonder how 22,000 people were stupid enough to vote for her. My home is not in her district and there were plenty of Sawant signs. This lady seems to have plenty of supporters.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,420 Founders Club

Sawant should keep her trap shut - when Chief Best runs for mayor, she's gonna bring a shit ton of law and order persons of color with her gunning for Council seats.

As the swarthy one says, the money'd in Seattle are probably just about at the point where they say 'ok, the gloves are coming off. GTFO and let the adults run things".

Cook it.

I am seeing and sensing a lot of timidness in people around the Seattle area. I'm not sensing people reaching that Peter Finch moment. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853

Cook it.

I am seeing and sensing a lot of timidness in people around the Seattle area. I'm not sensing people reaching that Peter Finch moment. I hope I'm wrong.
    People from the northwest are mostly big ass vaginas
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,420 Founders Club
    hardhat said:

I agree, but wonder how 22,000 people were stupid enough to vote for her. My home is not in her district and there were plenty of Sawant signs. This lady seems to have plenty of supporters.

I've told this story before, but I was living in Seattle when she was first elected. When she was campaigning, I was talking to a neighbor of mine. She was like, "It is just so exciting to think we could elect a woman of Indian descent to such a prominent position!" And I said, "yeah, but have you heard some of the things she's saying? Sometimes she sounds almost crazy."
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,887 Standard Supporter
    edited August 2020
    hardhat said:

Because people just plain like racism. Especially self-loathing white liberals.

To them, it explains everything, just like the Bible does for crazy Christians.

It's a religious cult, where whites have no power and enjoy the abuse.

Kind of like a chick I once dated. Weird shit.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,138 Standard Supporter
    Lefties are racist? Tell me it isn't so! Oh yeah they were ALWAYS the racists.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966
    hardhat said:

There are A LOT of millenial transplants in Seattle. They are a mercurial bunch and they don't like to live in the same place for long. They also vote and are the likely source of support for the council.

There are a lot other people in Seattle outside that demographic who have probably never cast a ballot for a council position. It's hardly ever been that important.

Seattle is a liberal place. I'm not going to deny that. But across the board, not that liberal.

hardhat said:

This. It really does explain a lot. It's not that Seattle is full of people excited to have their wealth re-distributed by a Marxist city council. It's that historical racism has so overwhelmed the collective American psyche that we? can't see past our nose for it. So Derek's encounter is, in my view, very typical of the average centrist-to-progressive Seattle resident. She's a dark brown woman, so it must be good that she's occupies a position in the seat of power.

The question is, how long will the good will of THAT constituency last?

The sad part is that it comes from a good place. It's empathetic people seeing that it's a good thing that historically marginalized people have made progress. Nothing wrong with that general sentiment in my view. But what is wrong is when it's taken to the psychologically sick place @TurdBomber describes, where white progressives feel like they need to suffer or something. When you're there, you won't question anything the formerly oppressed do to you. Like the white chick kneeling on command. It's a sickness and it distorts perception.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,887 Standard Supporter
    edited August 2020

hardhat said:

This. It really does explain a lot. It's not that Seattle is full of people excited to have their wealth re-distributed by a Marxist city council. It's that historical racism has so overwhelmed the collective American psyche that we? can't see past our nose for it. So Derek's encounter is, in my view, very typical of the average centrist-to-progressive Seattle resident. She's a dark brown woman, so it must be good that she's occupies a position in the seat of power.

The sad part is that it comes from a good place. It's empathetic people seeing that it's a good thing that historically marginalized people have made progress. Nothing wrong with that general sentiment in my view. But what is wrong is when it's taken to the psychologically sick place @TurdBomber describes, where white progressives feel like they need to suffer or something. When you're there, you won't question anything the formerly oppressed do to you. Like the white chick kneeling on command. It's a sickness and it distorts perception.
    It's also positive reinforcement - meaning you want more of it - of degrading, dehumanizing, discriminatory behavior.

Those demanding it might as well say "it's your turn to be the slave now."

hardhat said:

It's also positive reinforcement - meaning you want more of it - of degrading, dehumanizing, discriminatory behavior.

Those demanding it might as well say "it's your turn to be the slave now."
    Exactly right. What I think represents some degree of hope is that the parental instict should be stronger than this psychological failing in most poeple. That is, it's one thing if you want to suffer and kneel on command over past sins of society. It's an entirely different thing for that command to be shouted at one of your kids. Eventually, people will revert to instincts of self-preservation and realize, "hey, my kid has to live in this world we're creating."
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter
    Like the white chick kneeling on command

That would be the only good thing about her
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

Cook it.

I hope you're fucking right, but the council continues to move further left and people keep voting for them. If the old money residents actually get driven out, the trend will only escalate.

Shit, look at Alex Pederson. He was the "conservative" in the last election, and he's been a complete limp dick for any kind of reigning in of the council, tougher stance on homelessness, etc.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

hardhat said:

I've told this story before, but I was living in Seattle when she was first elected. When she was campaigning, I was talking to a neighbor of mine. She was like, "It is just so exciting to think we could elect a woman of Indian descent to such a prominent position!" And I said, "yeah, but have you heard some of the things she's saying? Sometimes she sounds almost crazy."
    Much to the chagrin of my conservative parents, growing up I was quiet the leftist...

The first thing that really caused me to examine my beliefs was Obama's election.

It was really eye opening when I heard my "non racist" friends saying similar racist stuff about Obama. About how exciting it was to vote for someone because they were black. Or how great it was that he was articulate and black... That type of open and socially acceptable racism really weirded me out.

Over the next few years the same "libertarian" friends that ranted about Bush being a war mongering, nazi, blood for oil, spying, authoritarian, dictator became some of the most vocal white knights for Obama...

The acceptable obvious racism and then political hypocrisy was the beginning of my path towards moderatism.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,163
    hardhat said:

People forget that Sawant was initially elected CITY-WIDE prior to the switch to districts. People forget that.

It is delusional to think there are any adults taking anything back in Seattle right now. All of the people with money are spineless cowards. Look at the hollow Chamber of Commerce for the prime example.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,163

Cook it.

You are spot on, man.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,994
    People on Seattle are SOFT. It’s transformed into a downtown area of woke “liberals” and foreign transplants who work in tech. Those remaining sane people have professional profiles that make leaving the area difficult. Everyone else has moved east, and a larger migration is coming over the next 5 years.

By 2030, Seattle will be like SF, where no one who lives there is actually from there. That is the end result, and it is unavoidable.