Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Camping - too expensive for black people?

WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,934
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Standard Supporter
Apparently we need to add camping equipment to the list of life's necessities. $50 tent, $30 sleeping bag and a $30 cooler and you are pretty much set. But, then sacrifices would have to be made - give up a pair of $150 air jordans. Geezus, why is everything about race? I loved to camp when I was younger as did my wife. I also had friends that refused to go sleep on the ground. Is camping a sign of white privilege? How so?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/los-angeles-times-camping-has-a-complicated-racial-past-and-cost-of-equipment-is-a-barrier-to-minorities

The Los Angeles Times reported that recreational camping has a “complicated” past when it comes to racism and the cost of camping gear is a “barrier” preventing minorities from enjoying the hobby.

“Camping is often called America’s favorite outdoor activity,” the Los Angeles Times posted on its Twitter account, along with an article titled, “Want more diversity in camping? Start with the gear."

"But camping and national parks have a complicated past when it comes to racial equality and equal access for all. One modern barrier to entry: the cost of camping gear," the tweet continued.

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020
    They are too dumb and poor to camp. If you go camping, you ain’t black.

Maybe in general, black people aren’t into camping at national and state parks. Ever think of that? I do know many love to spend Friday and Saturday nights at the suburban holiday inn near by. Which it probably more expensive than camping.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Anyone else recall City posting that article a few years back on the Shed claiming that blacks didn't camp or attend our National Parks because of their historical fear of lynching?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Maybe in general, black people aren’t into camping at national and state parks. Ever think of that? I do know many love to spend Friday and Saturday nights at the suburban holiday inn near by. Which it probably more expensive than camping.

I hear they aren't big fans of ice hockey on account of their fear of being lynched. Same with Polo and square dancing.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    SFGbob said:

Anyone else recall City posting that article a few years back on the Shed claiming that blacks didn't camp or attend our National Parks because of their historical fear of lynching?

What happened to that guy? He was Chris Steele’s fluffer when the bogus dossier was published. He went all in on it, even the pee pee nonsense.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

I hear they aren't big fans of ice hockey on account of their fear of being lynched. Same with Polo and square dancing.
    Why isn’t anyone upset more Asians don’t play football? Hell, even the half Asian uw had quit.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Why isn’t anyone upset more Asians don’t play football? Hell, even the half Asian uw had quit.
    I'll bet Asians and Jews aren't big campers either. I blame the Holocaust and the Rape of Nanking.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

SFGbob said:

Dat Nguyen is the Asian Jackie Robinson?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

Dat Nguyen is the Asian Jackie Robinson?
    Seems so. But not many followed in his footsteps
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,876
    If your aspirational goal is camping, you done made some shitty ass life choices.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

If your aspirational goal is camping, you done made some shitty ass life choices.

You’re a racist
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,876

You’re a racist
    Just hate camping. And white people.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You’re a racist
    Just hate camping. And white people.
    I like camping. I like camping cooking. But I hate s’mores. Too sweet.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Head to the Potholes Reservoir. Plenty of black people camp there. However that is the only place I've camped where it is easily 50/50 black and white enjoying the outdoors.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Subsidize gear purchases, give free classes and equipment, drive folks out to the woods to camp, great. Only one problem left: How to get away from all the White Trash at the Campgrounds.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2020
    My eyes rolled so much that they nearly popped out of my head. Are people that brainwashed by REI into thinking that you need expensive gear to camp?

Now, I do think there are barriers for other outdoor pursuits (mountain climbing for example) based on costs. From my understanding that is a much more expensive activity.

I came across this article from National Geographic that’s quite good and does a nice job explaining why National Parks are mostly visited by white people and what is being done to change things:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/national-parks/more-diversity-how-to-make-national-parks-anti-racist/#close