Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Science of Masks...

2»

Comments

• Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    edited July 2020

I see a guy saying that social distancing works best, and if people wear masks they get stupid(er) and start dirty dancing with strangers. Ok. Good data point.

I'll still go with the current bidding from UC SF Med, Mayo Clinic and UW Med, among others, none of which even imply they are close to 100% effective.

It's dumb in your car, while you're watering your grass or taking a walk. I've been on golf courses non-stop for the last 9 days and haven't worn one outside of the clubhouse. But I did wear one in there, and didn't pause to think if I was putting a dent in my patriot credentials, for two reasons: (1) it puts others at ease and hence promotes commerce, and (2) there seems to some probability they are at least incrementally helpful.

Does the meat packing plant "study" raise doubt? Not immediately (I didn't make it past the abstract).

Findings
    Transmissions occurred in a confined area of a meat processing plant in which air is constantly re-circulated and cooled to 10°C.

Interpretation
    Our results indicate climate conditions and airflow as factors that can promote efficient spread of SARS-CoV-2 ....

I'm not married to this. Show me some conclusive authority they don't work and I'm done wearing 'em. I don't enjoy the experience at all and would be happy to stop.

I’ve linked a CDC study here a couple tims that find non-clinical interventions, including masks and hand washing, are not effective in limiting flu transmission. Plus the many public health officials telling people not to wear them in March. I don’t think wearing a mask is a big deal, but I am sympathetic to a degree with people who question it.

Yes, yes, ITS NOT TEH FLUE!!!

I’ll show myself out.

And I linked (I think) a piece by UCSF both clarifying that they are helpful and explaining the CDC flip in March and flop in whenever it was.

Has the CDC flip flopped again? IDK; I've been golfing. Like I said, show me something. I normally assume that the good and smart people at one of the very very best medical schools in the world are not conspiring to control people with masks. Again, I'm happy to junk it if it's not helping; for although I look pretty good in a mask, I find they fog up my glasses. But what you gave me here doesn't quite get there, which you probably knew.
    Is this the article you were referencing, @creepycoug? It’s a good article.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

Look, I hate wearing masks as much as the next person, but based on what we know about the virus right now they do help *slow down* the disease. (Notice I didn’t say stop the spread. Just as wearing condoms/using birth control doesn’t 100% keep you from getting an STD or getting/getting someone else pregnant, these masks aren’t foolproof).

My apologies @LebamDawg, but where did you get the graphic above? I spot checked the JAMA link and it didn’t have the quote the graphic lists anywhere in the article. Seems like misinformation.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter

I see a guy saying that social distancing works best, and if people wear masks they get stupid(er) and start dirty dancing with strangers. Ok. Good data point.

I'll still go with the current bidding from UC SF Med, Mayo Clinic and UW Med, among others, none of which even imply they are close to 100% effective.

It's dumb in your car, while you're watering your grass or taking a walk. I've been on golf courses non-stop for the last 9 days and haven't worn one outside of the clubhouse. But I did wear one in there, and didn't pause to think if I was putting a dent in my patriot credentials, for two reasons: (1) it puts others at ease and hence promotes commerce, and (2) there seems to some probability they are at least incrementally helpful.

Does the meat packing plant "study" raise doubt? Not immediately (I didn't make it past the abstract).

Findings
    Transmissions occurred in a confined area of a meat processing plant in which air is constantly re-circulated and cooled to 10°C.

Interpretation
    Our results indicate climate conditions and airflow as factors that can promote efficient spread of SARS-CoV-2 ....

I'm not married to this. Show me some conclusive authority they don't work and I'm done wearing 'em. I don't enjoy the experience at all and would be happy to stop.

I’ve linked a CDC study here a couple tims that find non-clinical interventions, including masks and hand washing, are not effective in limiting flu transmission. Plus the many public health officials telling people not to wear them in March. I don’t think wearing a mask is a big deal, but I am sympathetic to a degree with people who question it.

I’ll show myself out.

And I linked (I think) a piece by UCSF both clarifying that they are helpful and explaining the CDC flip in March and flop in whenever it was.

Has the CDC flip flopped again? IDK; I've been golfing. Like I said, show me something. I normally assume that the good and smart people at one of the very very best medical schools in the world are not conspiring to control people with masks. Again, I'm happy to junk it if it's not helping; for although I look pretty good in a mask, I find they fog up my glasses. But what you gave me here doesn't quite get there, which you probably knew.
    I don’t really care about your health, tbh
    Re-read for comprehension. The CDC study I mentioned was dated February 2020 and began circulating in early April, if I remember correctly. Again, it was an influenza meta-study. I could imagine that hand sanitizers might chemically act upon flu virii differently than the ‘vid. Masks however are strictly mechanical, or physical, intervention. As best I could find, the size of the two bugs are pretty much the same. Maybe there’s viral load differences. I don’t know. These fine points are questions for @HHusky

The no mask shit in March was rationing by way of propaganda, and that mistake continues to have ramifications.
    Too many big and sciency words. I'm out.
    I am a well-documented florid asshole.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter
    edited July 2020
    @Doog_de_Jour Fake? From Twitter? I am losing faith in humanity now.

Thanks for checking - I am at the point on the Vid/rioting/masks/politics I just give up and post shit - which makes me a shitty poaster

Edit: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762694 so I checked and it is there.

But I am still a shit poaster
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Findings

Interpretation

I’ll show myself out.

I don’t really care about your health, tbh
    Re-read for comprehension. The CDC study I mentioned was dated February 2020 and began circulating in early April, if I remember correctly. Again, it was an influenza meta-study. I could imagine that hand sanitizers might chemically act upon flu virii differently than the ‘vid. Masks however are strictly mechanical, or physical, intervention. As best I could find, the size of the two bugs are pretty much the same. Maybe there’s viral load differences. I don’t know. These fine points are questions for @HHusky

The no mask shit in March was rationing by way of propaganda, and that mistake continues to have ramifications.
    ITS NOT THE FLU!!!1!!
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966

Findings

Interpretation

I’ll show myself out.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

Look, I hate wearing masks as much as the next person, but based on what we know about the virus right now they do help *slow down* the disease. (Notice I didn’t say stop the spread. Just as wearing condoms/using birth control doesn’t 100% keep you from getting an STD or getting/getting someone else pregnant, these masks aren’t foolproof).

My apologies @LebamDawg, but where did you get the graphic above? I spot checked the JAMA link and it didn’t have the quote the graphic lists anywhere in the article. Seems like misinformation.
    Yep, that's the one.

Only on the flip flop issue, I really do think Grumble is right: it was an initially motivated by rationing masks and really just wanting to keep people at home. Now that people are like "fuck it, I'm going out," masks are being encouraged.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,587 Standard Supporter

Findings

Interpretation

I’ll show myself out.

Yep, that's the one.

Only on the flip flop issue, I really do think Grumble is right: it was an initially motivated by rationing masks and really just wanting to keep people at home. Now that people are like "fuck it, I'm going out," masks are being encouraged.

Summertime joobs is a powerful drug.

edited July 2020

Findings

Interpretation

I’ll show myself out.

Yep, that's the one.

Hurtful.

To the poont, it was a big mistake not being forthright on masks in March.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,138 Standard Supporter
    Masks will save us!

But if you need to prevent a Vieira from teaching you it requires an A class haz mat suit.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966

Findings

Interpretation

I’ll show myself out.

Yep, that's the one.

Hurtful.

To the poont, it was a big mistake not being forthright on masks in March.
    "I didn't mean it like that!" Perhaps my most oft-used phrase in my entire life.

It was a Yuge mistake. To the people who always think there is a boogitty man lurking around the corner, it's like Exhibit A.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,964
    edited July 2020
    The science around masks is shite...look at that link and it says so in not-so-many words. The mask doesn't prevent people from getting it...its attempting to prevent the distribution of the virus if you have it (and in many cases the shitty ones project it out in unforeseen directions and farther away). And as sensitive as folks are about seeing sick people out and about there are currently very few folks who are sick with fever and coughing up a storm out and about.

Shitty masks (i.e. non N95 and other medical masks) haven't been proven to do much of anything, except give a few people I know pink-eye. I'm fine with people wearing masks when they are in public venues (i.e. shopping, etc)...but they idea some morons out there think they should mask-shame people for not wearing their masks walking around at the beach or something just pisses me off. And the idea that kids should be sitting in classes for 8 hours wearing a mask is just idiotic and unhealthy. My wife had a friend who was talking about having their daughter wear a mask while sleeping over at her grandmother's house. I told her it sounded great if she's trying to kill her daughter...she wasn't amused. She still can't comprehend why covering up a kid's mouth overnight might not be the best idea. But that's the kind of hysteria being generated by all of this.

Think this was my favorite tweet on it...

“ I personally believe that this is a disease we are going to have to learn to live with.”
    Bingo.

Also, overly emotive pro/con mask arguments need to die in an autoclave

Speaking of...
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,964

The science around masks is shite...look at that link and it says so in not-so-many words. The mask doesn't prevent people from getting it...its attempting to prevent the distribution of the virus if you have it (and in many cases the shitty ones project it out in unforeseen directions and farther away). And as sensitive as folks are about seeing sick people out and about there are currently very few folks who are sick with fever and coughing up a storm out and about.

Shitty masks (i.e. non N95 and other medical masks) haven't been proven to do much of anything, except give a few people I know pink-eye. I'm fine with people wearing masks when they are in public venues (i.e. shopping, etc)...but they idea some morons out there think they should mask-shame people for not wearing their masks walking around at the beach or something just pisses me off. And the idea that kids should be sitting in classes for 8 hours wearing a mask is just idiotic and unhealthy. My wife had a friend who was talking about having their daughter wear a mask while sleeping over at her grandmother's house. I told her it sounded great if she's trying to kill her daughter...she wasn't amused. She still can't comprehend why covering up a kid's mouth overnight might not be the best idea. But that's the kind of hysteria being generated by all of this.

That photo pisses me off.
    It should, but it should because it shows what Fauci really thinks of masks. He was pretty straightforward back in March...that was the standard medical policy on masks before this recent hysteria.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Sounds like the science is settled
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Liar Fauci should give up his job to a strong, brave, black woman with a 10/10 accent.