Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

WW3 Fupdate

UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,401 Swaye's Wigwam
Things might be getting lit fam.

https://aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/egypt-legislators-vote-deploying-troops-libya-200720141515828.html?fbclid=IwAR1xUUFBzhpBXGAG6eB2MhWrNM-_C47M4ZbTcoGD-VmCYz4-7AIF4MR2mzw

[Egypt's parliament authorised the deployment of troops outside the country on Monday after the president threatened military action against Turkish-backed forces in neighbouring Libya.

The parliament unanimously approved "the deployment of members of the Egyptian armed forces on combat missions outside Egypt's borders to defend Egyptian national security ... against criminal armed militias and foreign terrorist elements", it said in a statement.

The deployment would be made on a "western front" - a likely reference to western neighbour Libya. The move could bring Egypt and Turkey - which support rival sides in Libya's chaotic proxy war - into direct confrontation.]

Comments

• WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,032 Standard Supporter
    Thank god that we are NATO buddies with Turkey. For some unknown reason.
    We have lots of missiles and lots of other NATO allies. No reason to let the Turks into the club. The offer us nothing but trouble.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,519 Founders Club
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/turkey-nukes-incirlik-cold-war.html

By the mid-1970s, at their peak, the United States had 7,000 tactical nuclear weapons in Europe—including almost 500 in Turkey.

Turkey was a special case even then. In 1962, Kennedy and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev settled the Cuban missile crisis through a secret trade (which remained secret for the next quarter-century): Khrushchev would pull the Soviet missiles out of Cuba, 90 miles off the coast of Florida—and six months later, Kennedy would pull the U.S. missiles out of Turkey, near the southern border of the USSR. The U.S. missiles—15 of them, known as Jupiters—had just been deployed earlier that year. (Eisenhower had agreed to put them there in 1959.) By the time they were dismantled, one of the first Polaris submarines—carrying 16 nuclear missiles—was stationed in the Mediterranean; Kennedy convinced the Turks that the Polaris subs, which could roam beneath the ocean’s surface, undetected, were a far more secure deterrent than the land-based Jupiters.

However, over the next decade, as tactical nukes dotted the European landscape, the Turks eventually got their share of them. And as NATO air bases hosted planes capable of carrying nuclear bombs, the Incirlik base in Southern Turkey got some of those, too.

Concerns were raised about that base in 1974, after Turkey invaded Cyprus, flaring tensions with Greece. In response, the United States removed its nuclear weapons from Greece and put tighter locks on those in Turkey. No alarms were stirred about the security of the other nuclear bases in Europe.

Might be time to bring them home
    Beyond time. The Russians are no threat to the Turks. The Turks are now a nutcase Islamic state.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    We already had WW3 after Trump had General Salami killed. It was all the rage for a week right after Christmas.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853
    No Muslims ever.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    I don’t know, I’ve been watching a Turkish show on Netflix called “The Protector” and maybe having Turkey in NATO isn’t so bad.

Rawwwwrrrrrr.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,224 Swaye's Wigwam
    Turkey hates us mostly, but they hate Russia even more. Alliance of convenance. They served purpose.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,147 Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

We already had WW3 after Trump had General Salami killed. It was all the rage for a week right after Christmas.

Who can forget that very dark and grim time.

IC's meltdown

In ten years when the Iran disaster is Iraq redux all you clowns will claim you never wanted this war. I'll be taking all the screenshots I need.
    Being wrong is a career?
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter
    I remember reading years ago that Russia protects its southern border with Turkey. The Turks are not the best to get into a fight - they must fight dirty.

Need to verify with a vet that has been to Korea, the Turks there didn't need to have security forces because nothing would ever be stolen. The US bases were always having stuff ripped off. Could be BS - just stuff I heard when I was helping to defend Europe from the Russkies (and making sure no bad beer or wine was shipped back to the states)
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

And here we go!!!
    SFGbob said:

IC's meltdown

In ten years when the Iran disaster is Iraq redux all you clowns will claim you never wanted this war. I'll be taking all the screenshots I need.
    I knew it!! @insinceredawg is such a predictable fool.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,944

SFGbob said:

IC's meltdown

I knew it!! @insinceredawg is such a predictable fool.
    He is just trolling us.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,147 Standard Supporter
    edited July 2020
    LebamDawg said:

I remember reading years ago that Russia protects its southern border with Turkey. The Turks are not the best to get into a fight - they must fight dirty.

Need to verify with a vet that has been to Korea, the Turks there didn't need to have security forces because nothing would ever be stolen. The US bases were always having stuff ripped off. Could be BS - just stuff I heard when I was helping to defend Europe from the Russkies (and making sure no bad beer or wine was shipped back to the states)

Turks and Russian fought before. Turks killed 20k Russians in one day. The Turks bought Winchester lever guns! This was massed army stuff. Russians marched in from distance using single shot needle guns IIRC. Turks engaged at distance with rifles and when the Russkies got within 600 yards they switched to Winchesters. Each Turk had one and a carton of ammo. It was a slaughter.
    LebamDawg said:

I heard the same things from my friends dads. Nobody phucked with the Turks. But that was 70 years ago.

LebamDawg said:

I heard the same things from my friends dads. Nobody phucked with the Turks. But that was 70 years ago.
    Istanbul was Constantinople
    Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
    Been a long time gone, Oh Constantinople
    Why did Constantinople get the works?
    That's nobody's business but the Turks