Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Show your support for what this community means to you:
Choose a Donation Amount
Username
(required for credit)
Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Biden Plans to nix 1031 Exchange

Apparently Biden released details of his tax/economic plan and the plan says as president, he would do away with 1031 Exchanges on Real Estate chinvestments. This topic obviously could go in the Tug but it fits here and IMO, fits better.

Joe Biden on Tuesday unveiled a $775 billion plan to bolster child care and care for the elderly that would be financed by taxes on real-estate investors with incomes of more than $400,000 as well as increased tax compliance by high-income earners.

The Biden campaign did not fully explain how the plan for a “caring economy” would be financed, but officials highlighted some tax breaks they would seek to eliminate to raise revenue.

In particular, a senior campaign official said a Biden administration would take aim at so-called like-kind exchanges, which allow investors to defer paying taxes on the sale of real estate if the capital gains are reinvested in another property. The official also said they would prevent investors from using real-estate losses to lower their income tax bills.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-21/biden-proposes-775-billion-plan-funded-by-real-estate-taxes?srnd=premium

Comments

• Its not good financial policy because real estate investment is propping this show up. RE still out performs the market and has a vast web of feeder business that employs a lot of folks.

The unintended consequences which are hardly a secret would be big

A caring economy is one where 40 million people get back to work. You do that via incentive not punishment

You know this. I know this. Even @GrandpaSankey can see it but the progressive left hates capitalism and people who are good at it.
    RaceBannonSwaye
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Posts: 25,662
    10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 25000 Comments Seventh Anniversary
    The one thing I like about his plan is for universal preschool for 3 and 4 year olds. Child care is very expensive.
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCougzzDoog_de_Jour
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Posts: 7,915
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 5,000 Up Votes 5000 Comments

The one thing I like about his plan is for universal preschool for 3 and 4 year olds. Child care is very expensive.

Why is it expensive?
    Swayedoogie
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Posts: 2,733
    2,500 Up Votes 2,500 Awesomes 2500 Comments 250 Answers
    Ban 1031's and there will be an immediate mass exodus from rental housing by small owners. The only reason they're hanging on right now in places like the Seattle-metro area is because they can use a 1031 to move their equity to a tax friendly state, if needed. Tax the ability for people to not get raped on capital gains taxes in places like WA (where they are going to be put in place) and there's no longer a reason to be a rental investor if you only have a few units. Bye bye to the affordable rental market.
    CFetters_Nacho_Loverdoogie
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Posts: 2,733
    2,500 Up Votes 2,500 Awesomes 2500 Comments 250 Answers

Why is it expensive?
    Too many women in the work force.
    Doog_de_Jour
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Posts: 26,067
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes 10000 Comments
    Great Ceteris Paribus logical fallacy as always.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Posts: 10,269
    10,000 Up Votes 5,000 Awesomes 10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary
    edited July 28
    I see it two ways.

It will most certainly be a gut punch to the economy, and the majority of mid level Real Estate agents will need to move to another field when home values tank.

This will be a boon for home buyers looking to upgrade their permanent residence, as prices will drop.
    doogie
  • Blu82Blu82 Posts: 1,021
    250 Answers 500 Awesomes 500 Comments 250 Up Votes

Why should I pay for babysitting your kids?
    doogieDoog_de_Jour
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Posts: 21,194
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 10000 Comments

Why is it expensive?
    Need more 6 to 1 infant room ratios.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Posts: 7,915
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 5,000 Up Votes 5000 Comments

Why is it expensive?
    Need less liability ambulance chasers like H would be a start.
    RaceBannon
  • pawzpawz Posts: 8,837
    Swaye's Wigwam 5,000 Awesomes 5,000 Up Votes 5000 Comments

I see it two ways.

It will most certainly be a gut punch to the economy, and the majority of mid level Real Estate agents will need to move to another field when home values tank.

This will be a boon for home buyers looking to upgrade their permanent residence, as prices will drop.

This can't happen soon enough.
  • Bob_CBob_C Posts: 555
    250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Awesomes 500 Comments

Why is it expensive?
    Need less liability ambulance chasers like H would be a start.
    Yeah the insurance and regulation is partially what makes them expensive, paying one extra person $15 / hour to fit the ratios, it wouldn't phase them.

It’s demand that makes them expensive. No business that has a waiting list for customers feels the need give a deal.