Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Biden Plans to nix 1031 Exchange

CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,704
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Apparently Biden released details of his tax/economic plan and the plan says as president, he would do away with 1031 Exchanges on Real Estate chinvestments. This topic obviously could go in the Tug but it fits here and IMO, fits better.

Joe Biden on Tuesday unveiled a $775 billion plan to bolster child care and care for the elderly that would be financed by taxes on real-estate investors with incomes of more than $400,000 as well as increased tax compliance by high-income earners.

The Biden campaign did not fully explain how the plan for a “caring economy” would be financed, but officials highlighted some tax breaks they would seek to eliminate to raise revenue.

In particular, a senior campaign official said a Biden administration would take aim at so-called like-kind exchanges, which allow investors to defer paying taxes on the sale of real estate if the capital gains are reinvested in another property. The official also said they would prevent investors from using real-estate losses to lower their income tax bills.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-21/biden-proposes-775-billion-plan-funded-by-real-estate-taxes?srnd=premium

Comments

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The one thing I like about his plan is for universal preschool for 3 and 4 year olds. Child care is very expensive.

Why is it expensive?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Ban 1031's and there will be an immediate mass exodus from rental housing by small owners. The only reason they're hanging on right now in places like the Seattle-metro area is because they can use a 1031 to move their equity to a tax friendly state, if needed. Tax the ability for people to not get raped on capital gains taxes in places like WA (where they are going to be put in place) and there's no longer a reason to be a rental investor if you only have a few units. Bye bye to the affordable rental market.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

The one thing I like about his plan is for universal preschool for 3 and 4 year olds. Child care is very expensive.

Why is it expensive?
    Too many women in the work force.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Great Ceteris Paribus logical fallacy as always.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2020
    I see it two ways.

It will most certainly be a gut punch to the economy, and the majority of mid level Real Estate agents will need to move to another field when home values tank.

This will be a boon for home buyers looking to upgrade their permanent residence, as prices will drop.
  • Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,497
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Why should I pay for babysitting your kids?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Why is it expensive?
    Need more 6 to 1 infant room ratios.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Why is it expensive?
    Need less liability ambulance chasers like H would be a start.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,676
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I see it two ways.

It will most certainly be a gut punch to the economy, and the majority of mid level Real Estate agents will need to move to another field when home values tank.

This will be a boon for home buyers looking to upgrade their permanent residence, as prices will drop.

This can't happen soon enough.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,761
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Why is it expensive?
    Need less liability ambulance chasers like H would be a start.
    Yeah the insurance and regulation is partially what makes them expensive, paying one extra person $15 / hour to fit the ratios, it wouldn't phase them.

It’s demand that makes them expensive. No business that has a waiting list for customers feels the need give a deal.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Creepycoug has a special interest in this not happening. Creepy PAC is I. The way as I type this. We? can buy Joe out of this one rather easily.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Why is it expensive?
    Don’t take the bait Roadie. Whenever the Bot asks you an economis-related question, it’s not really a question; he already has a gun to your head and is just asking you to pull the trigger.