Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Do Influenza Vaccines Work?

2»

Comments

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter

Houhusky said:

Flu vaccine: racket for big farm

If they make it work, pay ‘em
    My purpose for this thread is how can anyone know if the vaccines work? If someone who takes it gets the “flu,” which happens to my wife every other year it seems, the medical community just say “whoops, wrong strain” which is odd because I don’t take an annual vaccine and haven’t had the flu in almost 20 years. The kids get the same shot as wife and they don’t get it, either.

Makes no sense to me.
    The flu vaccine is completely the opposite problem from a coronavirus vaccine

Coronavirus have a low mutation rate but have the "check valve" I described above that prevents mutations but also prevents typical anti virals or vaccines from working

The flu, specifically influenza A has a very rapid mutation rate due to the way it replicates its RNA polymerase and that the influenza genome is segmented and can mix during infection.

The flu vaccine each year is the best the guess at how the various virus strands will mutate and what will spread the most that season.

You and your wifes different reactions to the seasonal flu are a combination of luck, exposure, and genetic superiority.
    What about melanin?

I've heard melanin in the key to success.

If I like my melanin, can I keep it?

Thanks for lending color to this conversation
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club
    Houhusky said:

Flu vaccine: racket for big farm

If they make it work, pay ‘em
    My purpose for this thread is how can anyone know if the vaccines work? If someone who takes it gets the “flu,” which happens to my wife every other year it seems, the medical community just say “whoops, wrong strain” which is odd because I don’t take an annual vaccine and haven’t had the flu in almost 20 years. The kids get the same shot as wife and they don’t get it, either.

Makes no sense to me.
    The flu vaccine is completely the opposite problem from a coronavirus vaccine

Coronavirus have a low mutation rate but have the "check valve" I described above that prevents mutations but also prevents typical anti virals or vaccines from working

The flu, specifically influenza A has a very rapid mutation rate due to the way it replicates its RNA polymerase and that the influenza genome is segmented and can mix during infection.

The flu vaccine each year is the best the guess at how the various virus strands will mutate and what will spread the most that season.

You and your wifes different reactions to the seasonal flu are a combination of luck, exposure, and genetic superiority.
    Good luck with that one at the dinner table.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    "There were no dangerous side-effects from taking the vaccine, however, 70% of people on the trial developed either fever or headache."

This is a worse symptom than a significant percentage of people who are exposed directly to Covid.

I wonder if their trial exposed any 70+ comorbidity patients and observed how they handled the vaccine?