Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A key difference between Don James and Chris Peterman

2»

Comments

• justthrowitinthebagjustthrowitinthebag Member Posts: 150
    Emoterman said:

Isn't it conventional wisdom at this point that Marlon, Togiai, Asa, Puka and that Asian trap made Petersen quit?

Having to go HARD on recruiting kids who are getting hoodwinked, pimped out by their HS coaches, razzle-dazzled, and who are ultimately not as bought into OKG/B4L as he probably thought they were.

Yup that’s my feeling as well. He hates that kinda stuff and is way too earnest for it.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited July 2020

Emoterman said:

Isn't it conventional wisdom at this point that Marlon, Togiai, Asa, Puka and that Asian trap made Petersen quit?

Having to go HARD on recruiting kids who are getting hoodwinked, pimped out by their HS coaches, razzle-dazzled, and who are ultimately not as bought into OKG/B4L as he probably thought they were.

Yup that’s my feeling as well. He hates that kinda stuff and is way too earnest for it.
    I don’t think he likes it, but he was a coach for 25 years. It does seem possible to simply be sick of doing the same thing for 25 years and getting very little time off. It’s not like he needs the job either. He likely has plenty of money.

He will coach again.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,534 Standard Supporter
    I'd say theres about a HALF a difference between DJ and CP, '84 not withstanding. I don't know what not withstanding means but I think it means what I think it means.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

There are two stories on James quitting. One is that he told his bosses he would quit if UW ever got put on probation. The other is that he gave an ultimatum on taking a TV ban not a bowl ban but the admin kept the TV and took the bowl

At any rate quitting with two national championships and a 4-2 NY Day bowl record > quitting

According to Coach James it was the boldfaced part above plus he was furious that Gerberding told the Pac-10 he was fine with the 2-year bowl ban, whereas Coach James would have accepted the one-year bowl ban. He told Barbara Hedges to tell Gerberding that if he didn't support them better than that, he would resign. The next morning, Barbara called James and said Gerberding wouldn't be at the meeting because he had left town. So James became pissed off and promptly resigned.

Actually, July 20 will mark the 16th anniversary of my interview with him in the Don James Center, when we talked about all that. Time flies.
    Start of Seattle pussyfication
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,317 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2020
    This is a joke, right? I'm on bored with all of the pointing out of Pete's fault, but Rick was in the process of getting outed as a pisspoor coach before the whole gambling thing kind of saved his ass from further embarrassment. His time at UCLA showed he was a below-average coach at best who caught lightning in a bottle in 2000. Was also an overrated recruiter who loved signing guys who were overrated by the ranking systems but weren't actually that good. My hope/theory is that Cristobal is Oregon's Neuheisel. Records/accomplishments in first two seasons mirror almost exact and (possibly up until this year) our friend Cristobal has made a killing signing a lot of 4 stars no one is dying for (though with a few legit 5 stars). The rah rah, we're only getting started, the players love me stuff generally works for about 2-3 years too unless you're Pete Carroll, though Cristo seems like a hard ass on his assistants while I think Rick was aloof which bolds well for Oregon.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    @DongJames never coached at whOregon (“lol”).
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

thechatch said:

Upper Campus made James quit.

Mario Cristobal made Chris Petersen quit.

James just quit with 4 NYD bow trophies and half a NC behind the glass.

Petersen quit with...I honestly don’t even remember...

That said, Petersen is the 2nd best head coach in the last 50 years at UW, just ahead of Rick, who was basically an upgraded version of Sark.

Rick was better. Simple fact. Basically the same win % and a RB win. Also more fun.

HTH
    lol
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

This is a joke, right? I'm on bored with all of the pointing out of Pete's fault, but Rick was in the process of getting outed as a pisspoor coach before the whole gambling thing kind of saved his ass from further embarrassment. His time at UCLA showed he was a below-average coach at best who caught lightning in a bottle in 2000. Was also an overrated recruiter who loved signing guys who were overrated by the ranking systems but weren't actually that good. My hope/theory is that Cristobal is Oregon's Neuheisel. Records/accomplishments in first two seasons mirror almost exact and (possibly up until this year) our friend Cristobal has made a killing signing a lot of 4 stars no one is dying for (though with a few legit 5 stars). The rah rah, we're only getting started, the players love me stuff generally works for about 2-3 years too unless you're Pete Carroll, though Cristo seems like a hard ass on his assistants while I think Rick was aloof which bolds well for Oregon.

He had they same winning % as Petersen and didn't mail in the rose bowl. He won it. Petersen never caught lightening in a bottle, so there is that.

What neuheisal did after UW is irrelevant.
    I'll agree the gap between Pete and Neu might not be as big as most would assume. Pete definitely wins that Rose Bowl against Drew Brees and the dwarves though. I admit there's some nuance too though.

Pete's team definitely gets their bell rung by Miami in 2000 - get's down early and looks totally outclassed the way they did against any really good team and then we have to just say they were too good to beat for eternity. They rally to make it a 14-point loss or something though.

A Pete team probably doesn't get embarrassed as bad as Neu's did at Miami the next year though, but who really gives a shit.

Pete caught lightning in 2016.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,861
    Peterman wasn't woke enough
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited July 2020

I'll agree the gap between Pete and Neu might not be as big as most would assume. Pete definitely wins that Rose Bowl against Drew Brees and the dwarves though. I admit there's some nuance too though.

Pete's team definitely gets their bell rung by Miami in 2000 - get's down early and looks totally outclassed the way they did against any really good team and then we have to just say they were too good to beat for eternity. They rally to make it a 14-point loss or something though.

A Pete team probably doesn't get embarrassed as bad as Neu's did at Miami the next year though, but who really gives a shit.

Pete caught lightning in 2016.

Are you sure he'd win the rose bowl vs purdue? He admitted he mailed it in vs Ohio state. Couldn't even get his best DB motivated to play in the rose bowl.

And I haven't even brought up Cal yet.
    Neuheisel was like a band that wasn't that talented that somehow made one great album with a timeless classic song. Pete was like a band that churned out five good albums in their prime but failed to create a classic signature song that get's lost to time.

And hey, the travesty that is losing to Cal started under Neuheisel, along with the thought that it was okay to get thrashed on a regular basis, including one by a 5-6 Beaver team.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,975

Pete had his boot on Oregon’s throat and he let them off.

If only we had hired Derek Chauvin...