Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hayward Field Construction complete- University Officially takes Possession

Comments

• Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

DJDuck said:

Everyone has their own opinion and I respect yours however many opinions are based on either lack of knowledge or different priorities. For instance I don’t give a damn about any city’s restaurant or bar “scene”. I know the best restaurants and bars in Portland and none of them are probably in “the scene”.

Well, yeah, I don't live there so those issues aren't top of mind for me. I'm just telling you it's a city I've historically liked when visiting. And there are always winners and losers in American society. I can't think of a city I like that doesn't have shit-hole parts of town. Seattle has a lot of the same issues you outline; and while I live here and a lot of them bother me, it's still a great city by my measure. As you said, it's about priorities. There are some redeeming qualities to Memphis, but the bad far outweighs the good, for me, so I don't score that place very highly. Depends on what you care about.
    However all here pay taxes. That the rich get breaks to live in the Pearl is just a symptom of a systemic problem in Portland. Also in most cities when the voters vote on something they expect that vote to be adhered to. I live in a city where I get outvoted by carpetbaggers all the time. I live with it. It’s hard to live with your winning vote being overturned because elitist politicians just don’t think you know what’s good for you. BTW that “human size city” is rapidly disappearing.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

DJDuck said:

Portland is a great town.

You must be an ignorant nutjob lib that doesn’t have a clue about Portland and doesn’t have to live here I would guess. What do you find so great about Portland? Be specific please. I know Portland and every neighborhood in it better than anyone I have ever met. Not brag just fact.

Mind you this is my hometown and it still sucks.

It's a city that still exists on a human scale. There are real neighborhoods that adjoin the downtown. Great parks nearby. The riverfront, decent old and interested architecture, rows of restaurants on what feel like neighborhood streets (what people in Seattle now drive to Ballard to experience), a really underrated food and bar scene. IDK, what don't you like about it that doesn't have to do with politics?
    If you can get past the smell of urine and shit, Portland is great!!

Take a couple week trip to Scottsdale then come back to Portland. You’ll probably throw up within 15 minutes of being back home.
    Seattle and Portland both have homeless problems that, over the last few years, have become out of control. Same with San Francisco. They are nonetheless great cities.

Scottsdale is fine; I could never spend two weeks there though.
    Great cities but not anywhere near as great as they used to be. Quality of life in all 3 cities is in decline.
  • Options
    It isn’t about shithole parts of town. It’s about government neglect of parts of town that they are obligated to oversee. It’s the roads that they don’t address and the closing of the only high school in the area when others weren’t. These neighborhoods are pretty decent except for government neglect and bias.

Portland is seen as decent by most because of the shitholes they come from. I guess it is “decent” to some degree. But that is about as far as I would go.

I really love Washington as well as Oregon but you couldn’t pay me to live in Seattle and environs.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

DJDuck said:

You must be an ignorant nutjob lib that doesn’t have a clue about Portland and doesn’t have to live here I would guess. What do you find so great about Portland? Be specific please. I know Portland and every neighborhood in it better than anyone I have ever met. Not brag just fact.

It's a city that still exists on a human scale. There are real neighborhoods that adjoin the downtown. Great parks nearby. The riverfront, decent old and interested architecture, rows of restaurants on what feel like neighborhood streets (what people in Seattle now drive to Ballard to experience), a really underrated food and bar scene. IDK, what don't you like about it that doesn't have to do with politics?

Take a couple week trip to Scottsdale then come back to Portland. You’ll probably throw up within 15 minutes of being back home.
    Seattle and Portland both have homeless problems that, over the last few years, have become out of control. Same with San Francisco. They are nonetheless great cities.

Great cities but not anywhere near as great as they used to be. Quality of life in all 3 cities is in decline.
    When I lived in San Francisco in 1964 it was a wonderful place.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    DJDuck said:

SFGbob said:

DJDuck said:

Summer of love
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    DJDuck said:

SFGbob said:

DJDuck said:

Yeah, I'll bet it was. When I first moved here in 1986 it was still pretty damn good. Back when you moved there SF was still a working class town where blue collar folks with family still lived. Those days are long gone.

The thought of the DiFi run SF when I moved here in 1986 allowing people to just shit in the streets and break into vehicles with no fear of being prosecuted would have been unthinkable. You could still afford to live in the city and be an artist and or someone like me who had just got out of college. It hasn't been that way for over 25 years now.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    thechatch said:

haie said:

SFGbob said:

haie said:

haie said:

I remember sitting in Hayward field as a high school senior while Bellotti gave some contractually obligated speech thinking, "God this school is white trash. Thank God I grew up north of the river."

Really? Even with CHOP owning your city? Sorry but the game is over and Seattle won. Your town might not be white trash, but we can smell your city’s fish stench down here. At least you guys have Spirit Fox.
    The funny thing is you don't see Eugene doing the same eventually.
    The sad thing is you're bagging on Oregon solely because your own football team sucks.

Imagine what happens to this loser piece of shit if Oregon goes on another 10 football ass reaming of UW.
    Lol you think I bag on Oregon because of UW's apathy alone and not my own personal experiences being a CTO in Portland watching your alums draw stick figures for me w crayons?
    You’re trying too hard.

I’m a business owner, and my employees are UW, WSU, UO, Seattle U, Portland State, Sac St, and one Chapman grad. All of them bring value, although I’d say the Sac St head shows the most promise, long term. The Chapman grad requires the most hand holding, and the WSU grad is probably the hardest worker. None of this means anything, but let’s just say that I have to question your leadership acumen as an executive, if you’re going to degrade your rank and file reports because they were educated at a school who’s football team you don’t like. I’m going to question you even further if you’re paying these people to draw stick figures for you.

I guess my advice is to try not to press so much. It’s coming off as forced and awkward.

HTH
    Generally speaking, you're not going to notice a difference in the typical undergrad from any of the P-12 schools with the possible exception of Stanford, and even then it usually doesn't matter on the job.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited June 2020

thechatch said:

haie said:

SFGbob said:

haie said:

haie said:

I remember sitting in Hayward field as a high school senior while Bellotti gave some contractually obligated speech thinking, "God this school is white trash. Thank God I grew up north of the river."

Really? Even with CHOP owning your city? Sorry but the game is over and Seattle won. Your town might not be white trash, but we can smell your city’s fish stench down here. At least you guys have Spirit Fox.
    The sad thing is you're bagging on Oregon solely because your own football team sucks.

Imagine what happens to this loser piece of shit if Oregon goes on another 10 football ass reaming of UW.
    Lol you think I bag on Oregon because of UW's apathy alone and not my own personal experiences being a CTO in Portland watching your alums draw stick figures for me w crayons?
    You’re trying too hard.

I’m a business owner, and my employees are UW, WSU, UO, Seattle U, Portland State, Sac St, and one Chapman grad. All of them bring value, although I’d say the Sac St head shows the most promise, long term. The Chapman grad requires the most hand holding, and the WSU grad is probably the hardest worker. None of this means anything, but let’s just say that I have to question your leadership acumen as an executive, if you’re going to degrade your rank and file reports because they were educated at a school who’s football team you don’t like. I’m going to question you even further if you’re paying these people to draw stick figures for you.

I guess my advice is to try not to press so much. It’s coming off as forced and awkward.

HTH
    Generally speaking, you're not going to notice a difference in the typical undergrad from any of the P-12 schools with the possible exception of Stanford, and even then it usually doesn't matter on the job.
    A good (academis) school gives you a leg up on your first, and in rare cases your second job. Once you have 4+ years of work experience, no one gives a shit where you went to school. They care about your references and work performance.

• Options
    ntxduck said:

thechatch said:

haie said:

SFGbob said:

haie said:

haie said:

You’re trying too hard.

HTH
    A good (academis) school gives you a leg up on your first, and in rare cases your second job. Once you have 4+ years of work experience, no one gives a shit where you went to school. They care about your references and work performance.

And but for the most selective schools, it's hard to tell the difference with kids straight out. Yeah, the average kid from Pomona or Princeton is likely going to be a better writer than the average kid coming out of whatever state. Chicago doesn't graduate people who don't achieve a given level of literacy, and most large state schools, and crappy small private schools, do. So you'll see that a little. But as you say, over time, it just doesn't matter. Although it can help for grad school.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,474
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2020
    thechatch said:

haie said:

SFGbob said:

haie said:

haie said:

You’re trying too hard.

HTH
    El oh El.

I have two brothers in law who are Oregon grads. If Oregon grads can show me an ability to architect cloud solutions for large companies in e commerce, I prefer that. They probably actually care about college football and would be enjoyable to work with. Having some common ground matters in what I do given the time commitment.

But in the richest part of downtown I've only seen the ability from doogs, Cuogs (majority of my department), beavlet, some Vikings and other local colleges, and some self taught people. Have a Texas State grad and a longhorn.

Some quooks have come and gone within sales, fortifying my argument even more.

Sure you can go Oregon and be some marketing/sales peon and puke grellow with your fat wife and talk shit to doogs at Autzen. That's not the game I play though.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    That's a badass track stadium, no question.

No excuse for Oregon to ever lose a T & F natty going forward.
  • Options
    haie said:

thechatch said:

haie said:

SFGbob said:

haie said:

haie said:

You’re trying too hard.

HTH
    El oh El.

I have two brothers in law who are Oregon grads. If Oregon grads can show me an ability to architect cloud solutions for large companies in e commerce, I prefer that. They probably actually care about college football and would be enjoyable to work with. Having some common ground matters in what I do given the time commitment.

But in the richest part of downtown I've only seen the ability from doogs, Cuogs (majority of my department), beavlet, some Vikings and other local colleges, and some self taught people. Have a Texas State grad and a longhorn.

Sure you can go Oregon and be some marketing/sales peon and puke grellow with your fat wife and talk shit to doogs at Autzen. That's not the game I play though.
    Sure, that's what you do. People do other things for a living. He's right; you work way too hard on this, particularly when you try and bolster Cuog in the effort. Kids graduating from Amherst probably can't hang with you playing computer but, trust me on this, they are bright, literate and talented af.

So, IOW, your critque is narrow and loaded.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    haie said:

thechatch said:

haie said:

SFGbob said:

haie said:

haie said:

You’re trying too hard.

HTH
    El oh El.

FREE PUB!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The dirty little secret about hiring is that the first paragraph of a resume is as far as I have ever got.

Some people then nail the interview

But when your paycheck starts you better fucking produce or your gone

Lawyers, doctors and masters of the universe on Wall Street need the big Ivy paper and its worth the cost.

Most case as we like to say, no. Go somewhere cheap and stay out of debt
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    dtd said:

I can honestly not imagine giving a fuck about T&F beyond the 10 seconds every 4 years I watch the men's 100m Olympic final.

Thank you for sharing some of your sports’ viewing preferences. Shall we all share? @creepycoug, your turn?
  • Options

dtd said:

I can honestly not imagine giving a fuck about T&F beyond the 10 seconds every 4 years I watch the men's 100m Olympic final.

Thank you for sharing some of your sports’ viewing preferences. Shall we all share? @creepycoug, your turn?
    Yes. I love T&F, particularly the sprints and the jumps. Not a huge fan of the 5k, or whatever, but I even appreciate a good mile. And female T&F athletes, sans the shot put and discuss gals, are nice to look at.