Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Woof

124»

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

Donovan has preferred more mobile QBs. His starters at Vandy were Aaron Rodgers' brother and Magna Carta's brother, not exactly dual threat QBs but definitely not statues. He signed Trace McSorley at Penn State but was stuck with Hackenberg during his tenure as OC. I could see this kid or Garbers winning the job.

If a college coach prefers a pocket passer, he’s retarded. Not saying all pocket passers suck, but most of them do, and it’s a hinderance if your QB can’t run. But Tom Brady!
    I guess it depends on the level. At the college level, mobile quarterbacks are much more valuable because they can outrun most linebackers. However, in the NFL where linebackers run 4.4 and 4.5 40's, the mobile QB isn't as valuable. Unless of course you have Lamar Jackson speed which is once in a generation type of speed. The only QB even comparable is Michael Vick. Even Randall Cunningham didn't have close to Jackson's speed.
    The NFL is seeing the value of being elusive like Mahomes who isnt fast

Definitely like mobile in college
    Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have been doing that for the last decade. Neither are really fast. Mahomes didn’t suddenly make the NFL value elusiveness more
    Russ ran a 4.55 at the combine. That's pretty damn fast for an NFL QB and probably average for an NFL RB.

He's nowhere near that fast anymore though that's for sure.

Rodgers was a a 4.71 at the combine he's probably a 4.9 or 5.0 now but still quick for short distances.
    Mobile and fast definitely are not the same, I agree.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,463
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Donovan has preferred more mobile QBs. His starters at Vandy were Aaron Rodgers' brother and Magna Carta's brother, not exactly dual threat QBs but definitely not statues. He signed Trace McSorley at Penn State but was stuck with Hackenberg during his tenure as OC. I could see this kid or Garbers winning the job.

If a college coach prefers a pocket passer, he’s retarded. Not saying all pocket passers suck, but most of them do, and it’s a hinderance if your QB can’t run. But Tom Brady!
    I guess it depends on the level. At the college level, mobile quarterbacks are much more valuable because they can outrun most linebackers. However, in the NFL where linebackers run 4.4 and 4.5 40's, the mobile QB isn't as valuable. Unless of course you have Lamar Jackson speed which is once in a generation type of speed. The only QB even comparable is Michael Vick. Even Randall Cunningham didn't have close to Jackson's speed.
    And yet having a mobile QB is still advantageous in the NFL, just not to the same degree as in college.

The days of the Mannings, Bradys Brees and Rivers types dominating the league are numbered.
    If by the league you mean the AL or the NL, then disagree. Big immobile whiteys better start working on their offspeed stuff.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

@dnc and myself predicted the Ravens would lose in the playoffs. Jackson will eventually struggle because he’s really not a great thrower. Once his speed diminishes (next 2-3 years), I predict he will struggle. There are 5-10 QB’s I would rather have than Jackson. He was definitely the best player in the NFL last year, but you need to be a great thrower first in the NFL.

Russ is a great thrower. Mahomes is unbelievable. It’s not really about having 4.4 speed (although it can certainly help), but you need a mobile QB to make a couple plays with his feet and also buy time for big plays to develop.

The Ravens have a window of 2-3 years as you noted. They need to win a ring quickly if they're going to.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,868
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

The NFL is seeing the value of being elusive like Mahomes who isnt fast

Definitely like mobile in college
    Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have been doing that for the last decade. Neither are really fast. Mahomes didn’t suddenly make the NFL value elusiveness more
    Russ ran a 4.55 at the combine. That's pretty damn fast for an NFL QB and probably average for an NFL RB.

He's nowhere near that fast anymore though that's for sure.

Rodgers was a a 4.71 at the combine he's probably a 4.9 or 5.0 now but still quick for short distances.
    Watching Rodgers scramble is painful. I imagine him yelling “oh fuck, fuck, fuuuuck” in his head as he scrambles out of bounds.
  • Options

Those are some hot takes. Taking away his rushing and looking just at passing Jackson was the most efficient passer in the league last season by QBR. Obviously that is largely due to the threat of the Ravens’ rushing attack but it’s not like Lamar can’t throw or read a defense.

His season was especially impressive considering how bad he was as a passer AND A RUSHER in 2018. I can’t think of a bigger turnaround in a single season he went from one of the worst QBs in the league to the best.

And he is only 23. Sure, we can expect some regression statistically but he will also continue to improve as he gains experience. As his speed wears off he will adjust if he is an all time great. Too early to tell but also inaccurate to write Lamar off as a one skill pony.

He definitely took a massive leap. I’m generally skeptical of the flavor of the month guysm. RG3 in 2012, Kaep in 2013, Cam Newton in 2015, Jared Goff in 2018 - I’m sure I’m forgetting somebody. But generally the guys who blast to the front of the line relatively out of nowhere seem to come back to earth pretty significantly. Mahomes 2018 would be the counterpoint for sure as he backed it up in 2019.

I believed in Mahomes going into 2018 though, didn’t believe in the others before their big years and they all proved me right. If Lamar has another great year throwing I’ll admit I was wrong about him. I’m definitely skeptical.
  • Options

Those are some hot takes. Taking away his rushing and looking just at passing Jackson was the most efficient passer in the league last season by QBR. Obviously that is largely due to the threat of the Ravens’ rushing attack but it’s not like Lamar can’t throw or read a defense.

His season was especially impressive considering how bad he was as a passer AND A RUSHER in 2018. I can’t think of a bigger turnaround in a single season he went from one of the worst QBs in the league to the best.

And he is only 23. Sure, we can expect some regression statistically but he will also continue to improve as he gains experience. As his speed wears off he will adjust if he is an all time great. Too early to tell but also inaccurate to write Lamar off as a one skill pony.

Where do you find passing only QBR?
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Wtf is this? An actual football conversation on HH? To the gulag
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2020

I don’t think he’s a one trick pony. It’s just that he’s such a great runner, great OL, good running game, and he’s unbelievable as a runner. It all helps him immensely. Everyone is single covered or in soft zone, with a QB spy, etc.

He can throw okay, but he can’t sit back and just pick apart defenses. Sorry for being right last year. He won’t be a great QB for his whole career. When he’s making 40 mil per season and isn’t the same runner, things will look different.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

Where do you find passing only QBR?
    I was looking at a football outsiders’ chart which, despite being separated into PASSING and RUSHING sections does look like it uses total QBR not broken down into components so I think I was wrong on that fact. He was #2 by DYAR though: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/qb/2019
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

He definitely took a massive leap. I’m generally skeptical of the flavor of the month guysm. RG3 in 2012, Kaep in 2013, Cam Newton in 2015, Jared Goff in 2018 - I’m sure I’m forgetting somebody. But generally the guys who blast to the front of the line relatively out of nowhere seem to come back to earth pretty significantly. Mahomes 2018 would be the counterpoint for sure as he backed it up in 2019.

I believed in Mahomes going into 2018 though, didn’t believe in the others before their big years and they all proved me right. If Lamar has another great year throwing I’ll admit I was wrong about him. I’m definitely skeptical.
    I see what you are saying although without looking at the stats I don’t remember any of those guys being as dominant as 2018 Mahomes or 2019 Jackson. And Cam had a good run there it wasn’t just one year.

• Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,097
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Vince Young looked good for a while.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,970
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Wait so is Thomson going to be Lamar Jackson 2.0 or Russell Wilson 2.0? I'm getting mixed signals.