Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

It's Over, Inslee has Won

2»

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Imagine, all it took was a couple of executive orders and an economic depression to lower CO2. Who knew?
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

thechatch said:

Here’s the good news:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/work-from-home-productivity-gain-has-tech-ceos-predicting-many-workers-will-never-come-back-to-the-office-2020-05-15

Less traffic in the morning. Some uncertainty coming in the Commercial Real Estate Markets, as companies look to leverage reduced need for office space. This could ultimately be a win for the economy, if corporations can identify performing business units working remotely.

The other Obvious potential positive is greatly enhanced quality of life for employees and their families. Going into the office twice a week versus 5 times For the average cubicle monkey would be pretty nice.

Of course, I suspect the government will step in, shaking their state income ton can and fuck anything up.

More room on the freeway for me!
    Better seats on the bus for me!
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

thechatch said:

Here’s the good news:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/work-from-home-productivity-gain-has-tech-ceos-predicting-many-workers-will-never-come-back-to-the-office-2020-05-15

Less traffic in the morning. Some uncertainty coming in the Commercial Real Estate Markets, as companies look to leverage reduced need for office space. This could ultimately be a win for the economy, if corporations can identify performing business units working remotely.

The other Obvious potential positive is greatly enhanced quality of life for employees and their families. Going into the office twice a week versus 5 times For the average cubicle monkey would be pretty nice.

Of course, I suspect the government will step in, shaking their state income ton can and fuck anything up.

More room on the freeway for me!
    Better seats on the bus for me!
    Get all that virus, fam, eat!
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,179 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

salemcoog said:

thechatch said:

Here’s the good news:

I don't think very many people are looking forward to working from home long term anymore. And if Commercial Real Estate topples, so does a big part of the Economy as it ripples to the banks

Another consequence of this, as I said about 2 months ago, is that mid and large organizations are now looking at AI with saucered eyes, whereas before they would listen to a pitch about it politely and tell the presenter, "we'll let ya know". Hundreds of thousands of solid family wage jobs disappear when that happens.

There is nothing good about this for the economy other than niche service and distribution markets.
    AI is coming at an even faster rate than I suspected. This virus has jumpstarted an already growing movement away from human workers.
    And the @dnc had the perfect candidate for the moment in #MyYang butt they weren't chinterested.
    Yang's gotta get back in, watch the film, clean some things up. He's got tim.
    Yep butt his messages of UBI and keeping people employed over robots would be wildly popular right now.

Not saying he missed his chance, just saying the dems missed theirs.
    Yangs premise that AI and automation is coming is certainly right. I think the part that he isnt taking into account into his equation is the supply chain piece. We are going to be an on demand economy. Companies are going to be carrying far less inventory coming out of this debacle, and will shift to a more build as demanded by the consumer model. Less inventory means shorter and nimbler supply chains are required, it frees up cash flow to invest in automation. More automation means less advantage for China on the labor side.

It all leads things being built closer to when and where they will consumed. That should be a long term benefit to the US economy. Probably why China has been so focused on driving up its consumer spending all those years.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,387 Swaye's Wigwam
    Bob_C said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

salemcoog said:

thechatch said:

Here’s the good news:

I don't think very many people are looking forward to working from home long term anymore. And if Commercial Real Estate topples, so does a big part of the Economy as it ripples to the banks

Another consequence of this, as I said about 2 months ago, is that mid and large organizations are now looking at AI with saucered eyes, whereas before they would listen to a pitch about it politely and tell the presenter, "we'll let ya know". Hundreds of thousands of solid family wage jobs disappear when that happens.

There is nothing good about this for the economy other than niche service and distribution markets.
    AI is coming at an even faster rate than I suspected. This virus has jumpstarted an already growing movement away from human workers.
    And the @dnc had the perfect candidate for the moment in #MyYang butt they weren't chinterested.
    Yang's gotta get back in, watch the film, clean some things up. He's got tim.
    Yep butt his messages of UBI and keeping people employed over robots would be wildly popular right now.

Not saying he missed his chance, just saying the dems missed theirs.
    Yangs premise that AI and automation is coming is certainly right. I think the part that he isnt taking into account into his equation is the supply chain piece. We are going to be an on demand economy. Companies are going to be carrying far less inventory coming out of this debacle, and will shift to a more build as demanded by the consumer model. Less inventory means shorter and nimbler supply chains are required, it frees up cash flow to invest in automation. More automation means less advantage for China on the labor side.

It all leads things being built closer to when and where they will consumed. That should be a long term benefit to the US economy. Probably why China has been so focused on driving up its consumer spending all those years.
    This, but also that automation won't eliminate labor in the long term, just jobs in the short term.