Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TUFFness this team needs

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

40 years ago today. Harry refused to LEAVE his couch.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I was at a drive-in swap meet that morning (Sunday May 18) when the sky turned gray that day. how bout you?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

It occurred on May 18, 1980
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Not enough Pat Hill imagery.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sleeping off a hangover, home from “university” for the night...Pops came in and woke me up, said “You’d better see this”...(the scenario was eerily recreated 21 years later, while visiting my father, on 9/11)...

Drove back thru the mess (E WA), zero visibility, cuz mid-terms. Pulled into the porking lot of the dorm, and an RA came running out, jumped into my car, and we drove to the store and bought the last 20 cases of beer they had. Baseball practice in ankle deep ash was not enjoyable, and after the beer, booze and pot ran out (4-5 days IIRC), we vacated and went home, TSWO...
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,610
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was only 8 so it's a little foggy. I know that my folks had stayed the weekend up North (Seattle area somewhere) and were coming home that day. We were worried as fuck as we heard about the rivers flooding. They made it home fine but for some reason it seems like they were delayed. I can't remember the details. Exciting day.

CSB
  • Options

Baseman said:

It occurred on May 18, 1980
    "I was at a drive-in swap meet that morning (Sunday May 18) when the sky turned gray that day. how bout you?"
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,775
    dflea said:

I was fishing on Lake Limerick in Shelton. We heard the eruption at 8:30, but didn't know what it was.

When we hit the dock around 9, my buddy's mom came running down to the dock and said she had to take me home. We listened on the radio as reports came in - people were talking about a wall of mud heading toward I-5 and dozens of people killed etc. It was strange because I recall it just being a nice, sunny day and you couldn't see shit from where we were.

When we got to my house, my old man loaded everyone in the van and we drove up to Capitol Forest and found a big lookout where you could see the volcano. The ash cloud was pretty awesome. We hung out there for a while watching it and taking photos.

csb

You know Harry was sitting on the porch that morning, or maybe out on the lake fishing. In either case, it was over quick. He was telling the governor to get fucked before it was cool to tell the governor to get fucked. The more things change, the more they stay the same I guess.

So you were fishing and went home.

Try living in the region where the wind actually blew all that shit. The first few hours were scary as shit. Way more scary than this covid crap. No knowledge of whether the ash cloud was toxic, whether the ash would cause lung damage.

Eventually it turned into a massive street party with people sweeping that crap up. For months thereafter.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited May 2020
    Gladstone said:

Well that was a pretty fun trip down Wikipedia. Wasn't familiar with this story before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_R._Truman

I remember seeing that crusty #resister on KOMO leading up to the eruption. He said something about having plenty of wine to ride out anything. My young mind wondered If he made it after.
    He didn’t.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    “The volcano won” -Kim
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,853
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2020
    I was soaking up the Huntington Beach sunshine on that day before @UW_Doog_Bot was even a glimmer in daddy bot’s eye.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2020
    Gladstone said:

Well that was a pretty fun trip down Wikipedia. Wasn't familiar with this story before.

Was it @jhfstyle24 that experienced Death by Pyroclastic Flow in New Orleans?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Doogles said:

Gladstone said:

Was it @jhfstyle24 that experienced Death by Pyrocrastic Flow in New Orleans?
    Second that question. One of the great “So I’m...” stories poasted here.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

I was at a drive-in swap meet that morning (Sunday May 18) when the sky turned gray that day. how bout you?

NOC where you or anyone was on 5/18/1980

Why do people think it's interesting to tell people where they were? NOGAF