Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Model Predicts 350,000 Deaths By End Of June If All States Fully Reopen

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

Yeah the whole 50% thing for restaurants sounds good, but there’s no way they can operate that way at a profit. That industry is run on razor thin margins.

Quite honestly, most folks should be staying home and making their own dinner instead of going out to eat multiple times per week.

I remember walking to school in the snow uphill both ways as a kid, and going to a restaurant was a BIG deal. It simply wasn't in the poor Throbber family household budget until college was all saved for and the bills were all paid and 10% was put away for a rainy day.

The Throbber parents slid into the grave still holding a pretty decent estate and no financial worries well into their 80's when they died of the COVID four years ago.

2/3 of the restaurants shouldn't be open in the first place. Probably the same for craft brewers.

While I agree in principle about not going out as often as many people do from a frugal/financial standpoint, I also disagree about closing a bunch of restaurants.

The personal finances of this country are pretty sad. But that’s not really gonna be solved by shutting down the craft brewery and the fancy burger place.

Plus I like having those places around as options, and the people that work there need jobs too.
    But right now, that decision-making has been legal removed from the market.
    Yes, but most places shut down or limited/modified operations before any government intervention. Probably to match the drop in customer traffic. I see your point, but the bottom line was ruined by the virus/fear before any political intervention took place.
    Since we govern by anecdote now, I'll give you one: I can tell you first-hand that a business was ahead of the government, adapting, and doing ok, all things considered, prior to Inslee stepping in to save the day.

Furthermore, the businesses by Inslee's magnanimous graces allowed to continue operating have adapted, again often before legal mandate, and are doing just fine, all things considered.
    I’m not a fan of saying who can or cannot operate. Bit we also have more information now than we did then.
    We have much more data, but is the understanding any better? I've seen nothing to materially change my mind from early March. On the flip, the virocrats running the show demand more and more data as a condition, but doesn't look like they have any better understanding either. Data collection has become a goal unto itself.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Yeah the whole 50% thing for restaurants sounds good, but there’s no way they can operate that way at a profit. That industry is run on razor thin margins.

Quite honestly, most folks should be staying home and making their own dinner instead of going out to eat multiple times per week.

I remember walking to school in the snow uphill both ways as a kid, and going to a restaurant was a BIG deal. It simply wasn't in the poor Throbber family household budget until college was all saved for and the bills were all paid and 10% was put away for a rainy day.

The Throbber parents slid into the grave still holding a pretty decent estate and no financial worries well into their 80's when they died of the COVID four years ago.

2/3 of the restaurants shouldn't be open in the first place. Probably the same for craft brewers.

While I agree in principle about not going out as often as many people do from a frugal/financial standpoint, I also disagree about closing a bunch of restaurants.

The personal finances of this country are pretty sad. But that’s not really gonna be solved by shutting down the craft brewery and the fancy burger place.

Plus I like having those places around as options, and the people that work there need jobs too.
    Yes, but most places shut down or limited/modified operations before any government intervention. Probably to match the drop in customer traffic. I see your point, but the bottom line was ruined by the virus/fear before any political intervention took place.
    Since we govern by anecdote now, I'll give you one: I can tell you first-hand that a business was ahead of the government, adapting, and doing ok, all things considered, prior to Inslee stepping in to save the day.

Furthermore, the businesses by Inslee's magnanimous graces allowed to continue operating have adapted, again often before legal mandate, and are doing just fine, all things considered.
    I’m not a fan of saying who can or cannot operate. Bit we also have more information now than we did then.
    We have much more data, but is the understanding any better? I've seen nothing to materially change my mind from early March. On the flip, the virocrats running the show demand more and more data as a condition, but doesn't look like they have any better understanding either. Data collection has become a goal unto itself.
    Yeah, that’s a great question. I’d say they’re erring on the side of caution. Things are starting to open back up, so the idea that we are entering some period of authoritarian rule as some have cried is nonsense.

Yeah, that’s a great question. I’d say they’re erring on the side of caution. Things are starting to open back up, so the idea that we are entering some period of authoritarian rule as some have cried is nonsense.
    In Washington, it has been, not entering, authoritarian since March 13. You can agree with it if you like. But all of this has been done by sole executive order. Simple fact.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,442 Founders Club
    California is already under authoritarian rule.

You can't quarantine someone with out a day in court but we? are going to track, arrest, and confine based on apps.

But gosh people are just saying nonsense
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844

What the fuck??? Have you not read the language on the WA contract. They only need to suspect that you have Covid and then can deem for any reason they see fit to drag you out of your house to quarantine.

Why are you here? You should be cucking around on Twitter with Boobs and his band of idiots.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    salemcoog said:

What the fuck??? Have you not read the language on the WA contract. They only need to suspect that you have Covid and then can deem for any reason they see fit to drag you out of your house to quarantine.

Why are you here? You should be cucking around on Twitter with Boobs and his band of idiots.
    Spaulding still had Daddy Smails’ country club money supporting him. He doesn’t care that 33 million Americans are out of work over the last two months. Montana!!

salemcoog said:

Spaulding still had Daddy Smails’ country club money supporting him. He doesn’t care that 33 million Americans are out of work over the last two months. Montana!!
    Hey, you finally got something right.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972

salemcoog said:

Hey, you finally got something right.
    See, that’s funny.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,395 Swaye's Wigwam
    I thought we were already fighting the nazis and the next Hitler. #resist

Bob_C said:

I’m in finance as a profession, I see this a lot. Whenever an executive or sales asks for more and more data/reports, different formats, etc that don’t tell you anything different to make a decision it always screams to me that they don’t know what to do and are stalling for time, thinking that some magic answer will appear. The perfect data point generally doesn’t exist, and if it does it’s easy to find. That totally seems like what is happening here, paralysis by analysis.
    Totally agree. Nobody wants to be the leader that opens it back up and gets blamed for a spike in cases. They’re stalling because they’re scared and paralyzed by indecision and fear.
    AGREE

Bob_C said:

I’m in finance as a profession, I see this a lot. Whenever an executive or sales asks for more and more data/reports, different formats, etc that don’t tell you anything different to make a decision it always screams to me that they don’t know what to do and are stalling for time, thinking that some magic answer will appear. The perfect data point generally doesn’t exist, and if it does it’s easy to find. That totally seems like what is happening here, paralysis by analysis.
    Totally agree. Nobody wants to be the leader that opens it back up and gets blamed for a spike in cases. They’re stalling because they’re scared and paralyzed by indecision and fear.
    AGREE
    Wow. Mark your calendars folks. You’ll be subpoenaed about this moment someday.

Bob_C said:

Agree, and I have no sympathy for them. They bear a large responsibility for the build up of fear. Ourº elected leaders have been mostly atrocious.
    You will get absolutely NO argument from me on that.
    I also like to say never bet against human nature. I like to say that

There can also be more than one thing at play here. Along with the fear of leading there is an opportunity for power and it's hard to resist.

So while trying to run out the clock why not keep the fear stoked and add more and more mandates.

Bob_C said:

AGREE
    I don't recall if I agreed or not Senator

Bob_C said:

AGREE
    I don't recall if I agreed or not Senator
    I call on @DerekJohnson to release the transcripts.